Why can almost everything learn Toxic? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why can almost everything learn Toxic?

Blog Entries

Default Re: The confusion regarding Toxic.

Someone I know suggested that the pokémon using Toxic just unleashes a stream of explosive diarrhea at the opponent.

Poisonous saliva works (and is less disgusting that taking a toxic shit on your opponent).
    flamewarflipsides likes this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Baron Brixius On Twitter

Yeah, I, too, think that Toxic in this case has to do with Pokemon's excrements. You do get poisoned if you hold it in for too long. xD

追放されたバカ

I think Toxic/Excessive Poison is that way for an in-joke we don't get, but the creators do.

Or it could be fatigue poisons being discharged in a stream...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S.H.O.D.A.N. View Post
    Or it could be fatigue poisons being discharged in a stream...
    According to Stadium 2's depiction, seems likely.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

I'm going with the saliva It's kinda gross though

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Every Pokemon is supposedly related to Mew, maybe it's a more advanced form of coughing up furballs?

Who is this git?

Add Bellossom on Facebook

I honestly don't know why they allow most Pokemon to use it but I would assume that if it were ever explained that it would have something to do with their saliva or glands inside of their body producing a mucus. Poison is my favorite type and I must say that I DON'T like how many are allowed to learn it, I think that the type itself would have more fans if this move was more exclusive.
    If at first you don't succeed, warp reality till it fits your demands ;)

claimed Ekans on 10/28/2012 and all has been well in the world ever since. :)

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thing is, while in other circunstances I'd fault an oversight in Gen I or something that got carried over for sake of legacy... this is not the case, they completely intentionally gave each and every pokemon that learns it the flag to do so.

So I have no clue. It really makes no sense, even if you bring in summoning poisonous projectiles out of nothingness... as in, using the move with external means; given the ninja motif you'd think it involves throwing highly poisonous gas bombs to the opponent or something along these lines.
    Which, considering the later, I guess could have a pretty wide pool of users, as many pokémon could act like a ninja in that fashion... but that is still but an small portion of all the ones which learn it.

The only other idea I can have is following the other ninja trend of mystical powers like making pillars of flame rise up and whatever to weaken foes, specially with how it is often reffered to as a "technique".

But even then, these are all hand-waves.

Still, though, in terms of in-game balance, everyone with access to one of the most useful Poison moves isn't really fair for the type itself.
    Toxic is Poison's Ice Beam, except probably even worse.
    Bellossom likes this.

[/overexposition]

hi

FINALLY!!!
    Somebody besides me noticed this.

My theory, all Pokemon are poisonous. I mean, think about it. Most animals, plants and everything else on our plant, are some how affected by the chemicals and poison pump in the air and water. However, with Pokemon, this might effect them differently then with other organisms.

Of course there are the man-made Pokemon like Grimer and Koffing, made from toxic chemicals who are poisonious like by creation. Pokemon that are naturally poisonous like Arbok, Niroran, Umbreon, and Togepi. But then there are the ones who simply poisonous by living in a bad environment. They have tried to adapt to this by surviving most poisonings and not dying only simply fainting. As well as, learning to use poison to their advantage by using Toxic.
    Bellossom likes this.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: Why can almost everything learn Toxic?

It could be the poisons they absorb from having been poisoned by previous attacks before, and then maybe the antidotes and stuff work by having them absorb the potion into their body in a way that it doesn't harm them, but it can be used again.

I have no idea what I'm going on about with this, but whatever.

I think this was one where the creators thought of it in more of a logistics sense than a "how would this actually work in-universe?" sense. Poisoning is one of those status ailments that generally only Pokemon of that type learn (with the exception of some Grass-types, or non-Poison-types with poisonous claws or spikes like Sandshrew/slash) so this allows you to have the ability to Poison in your party without necessarily making room for a Poison type.

I've never been a huge fan of Poison-type Pokemon anyway. Maybe it's because I grew up with Gen I and its massively overpowered Psychic types, but I've always seen Poison types as Glass Cannons, and overall they just don't seem very useful to me as Party Pokemon, unless they have a good dual-type.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Someone I know suggested that the pokémon using Toxic just unleashes a stream of explosive diarrhea at the opponent.
    Saw this thread and came on to say this. Damn you ninjaing me by six months!

Well, the only Pokemon that learn Toxic naturally are all Poison Pokemon (except Vespiquen). Since you have to use a TM, you give the Pokemon you taught Toxic to a needle heavily dipped in poison, which they then toss at their opponent during battle.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Well, the only Pokemon that learn Toxic naturally are all Poison Pokemon (except Vespiquen). Since you have to use a TM, you give the Pokemon you taught Toxic to a needle heavily dipped in poison, which they then toss at their opponent during battle.
    But the animations for Toxic show it as a surge of poisonous liquid, not a needle injecting the opponent.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    But the animations for Toxic show it as a surge of poisonous liquid, not a needle injecting the opponent.
    It's a ninja needle, then. oAo So ninja-like that you never see it get thrown, you only see the poisonous effect it has. It's why Toxic can miss, sometimes your Pokemon has bad aim. Don't know why the player would have a ninja needle, though...
    Owain likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

While I'm not sure about the needle bit, the role of the TM in letting a Pokemon do what it cannot do "naturally" (level up?) may have something to do with it. After all, nothing about say, a Nidoqueen's anatomy suggests she could breathe fire or discharge electricity, but perhaps TMs actually modify the bodies of Pokemon, enabling them to do so? In that case, the Toxic TM may trigger the production of poisons in non-poisonous Pokemon.

Though the way TMs work is still something of a mystery, I'm pretty sure whatever they do to the Pokemon's body is responsible for the huge number of Pokemon that can learn Toxic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast