Why Braille on the Legendary Golems?

Thread: Why Braille on the Legendary Golems?

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Why Braille on the Legendary Golems?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so move this thread if you need to.

Out of everything else, why did they choose to implement Braille on the legendary golems? They all have six dots on their bodies, and also, you need to solve the Braille puzzles in the dungeon to get them. Was there any specific reason they chose to use Braille?

But it's not as if you can actually touch the screen to feel the dots... no?

Note, in the manga, they made a very good adaptation of actually trying to decipher an old message written in Braille to summon the golems by asking a visually challenged child if he could help.
    This show knows

Registered User RemainsToLinger's Avatar

Default Re: Why Braille on the Legendary Golems?

I always figured that the Regis were of the Jewish Golem legend heavily inspired: e.g. what we take are their eyes, are in fact stone messages put into them to give them purpose of action. Or simply life through...Pokemon magixes. So that's my thought on the dots on the Regis.

That said, I figure Braille because it's a complex language using the most simple structure. Instead of complex caligraphy, it's simply a series of dots. Much easier to impliment in a game, but a less common language that requires the gamer to actually get up and LEARN SOMETHING. So I feel it has to do a lot with the fact that on a game like this using dots to mean something is easier, and its more challenging because on average most people probably don't know Braille. So it's simple, but challenging.
    Hmmm...Nope, I can't think of a think for a signature nor do I have any pictures I think would fit.

End transmission, please.

Because it's interesting and probably because it's more of a "Code" then an actual Language.

Braille to an ancient Civilization would of been like a Pseudo-"Computer Code"
    that would of fit the artificial construct concept of the Regis.
    It's actually a far better then our current 1s and 0s code.

Blog Entries

I always figured it was a design choice implemented to make them feel more alien and foreign to players.

Also, they wanted to frustrate us to no end when trying to dechiper the puzzles.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's definitely to make them feel more "other". They could've chosen gylphs, but symbols are easily associated with letters. Meanwhile, a series of dots at first sight looks much different to simply letters. (Besides, think that these are engravings in-universe. Symbols engraved are easilly recognizable as text, but series of dots engraved give a really alien look, yet it would be recognizable by players as something written de to already having seen them)
    And it's much more of a puzzle for everyone than simply the Unown gylphs (which probably only are a bit of a puzzle to Japanese players)

As for why the existing Braille... RSE felt a bit "down to earth". They were games conscious about things like ecosystems and the world we live in, so taking something that exists and teaching the players about it makes sense, I guess.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 12th April 2013 at 12:32 AM.

[/overexposition]

Because they didn't want to use the unown again but they also didn't want to make their own language.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

The regis write in braille because they cannot see. They since with their dot "eyes" that regigigas put on them when he made them, which are in a style similar to braille.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People act like using Braille was this amazing cryptic thing. Everything was still in English, and we have a Braille alphabet. We didn't really need to decode much. The Abyssal ruin's code is meant to annoy us.

I'm not sure if Braille should be specifically attributed to the Golems either since the "language" (if we assume Braille is now an ancient language in the games) appears in ruins that seem unrelated to the Golems (e.g., Mt. Ember, Dotted Hole)

Quote Originally Posted by Incoming Mortar View Post
    The regis write in braille because they cannot see. They since with their dot "eyes" that regigigas put on them when he made them, which are in a style similar to braille.
    Nothing in the series suggests they are blind. Just because they don't have eyes typical to what you think eyes should be, does not mean they are blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    People act like using Braille was this amazing cryptic thing. Everything was still in English, and we have a Braille alphabet. We didn't really need to decode much. The Abyssal ruin's code is meant to annoy us.

I'm not sure if Braille should be specifically attributed to the Golems either since the "language" (if we assume Braille is now an ancient language in the games) appears in ruins that seem unrelated to the Golems (e.g., Mt. Ember, Dotted Hole)

Nothing in the series suggests they are blind. Just because they don't have eyes typical to what you think eyes should be, does not mean they are blind.
    Man, why u gotta disagree with everything I say?

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post

Actually... it sort of does make sense that the Regis used Braille as messages. In the Eighth Movie, the dots "blink", and it probably helped them understand each other better. They actually might be communicating via Braille.
    This show knows

In the Pokemon world, isn't the alphabet based on the Unowns? So perhaps Braille is based on the golems in the Pokemon World. I'm interested to know where Kanji comes from.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

Visit Phijkchu's Youtube Channel

Maybe it is because the game developers didn't want to make their own language, but braille isn't very common among people. I'm not trying to be offensive, but their is not any reason to learn it.

Pokemon X Friend Code : 0447 - 5738 - 4720