Where DO Eggs Come From? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Where DO Eggs Come From?

Default Re: Where DO Eggs Come From?

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    In Solaceon, they said that "nobody has ever seen a Pokemon lay an egg, they just come out of nowhere", while it's really a lie, and is Nintendo's excuse of not telling kids about sex, even though most kids nowadays are familiar with pregnancy, but not about the reproductive organs that are used to lead to pregnancy.
    Laying eggs doesn't automatically mean that the Pokémon are having sex though... some real-world animals (such as fish) lay eggs and fertilise them externally without ever having sex. Then there's honeybees whose eggs can hatch without even being fertilised in the first place. And even if the Pokémon were having sex... Game Freak / Nintendo doesn't have to mention it. I mean, you see chickens hatching from eggs in the cartoons all the time without the narrator saying, "The chick hatching from this egg was because the chickens were having sex," and no one watching the show really questions it or cares.

Something I've noticed... all Pokémon Eggs actually hatch into Pokémon. Which is strange because with real-world animals like chickens, you can have non-fertilised eggs with no animal ever hatching. So this makes me further doubt that it's all that similar to real-world egg-laying... however, this could just be a gameplay element since it would get annoying if half the time your Egg never even hatched.

Blog Entries

Interesting point. What do kids know about laying eggs? Just that some animals lay them and they can hatch into baby animals. No mention of how that happened, that's just all there is. This could still be seen as either glanced over reproduction or it basically coming from nowhere, except it doesn't really come from nowhere, since they still know the egg was laid, they just don't have the perception to question how eggs are made. Unfortunately, we still don't know if pokemon really DO lay eggs.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    In the HGSS Arceus event, after you get your Sinnoh mascot, Cynthia asks something along the lines of "could this be the first time we've seen an egg brought into the world?" Although Arceus probably works on a whole different level and likely conjured the egg in front of his head using telepathic energy with no other Pokemon around.
    Whenever a male and a female pokémon are compatible, spend some time together and grow to like things about each other.. a bunch of Unown comes out from their dimension, twisting the time and space and mixing the genes of both pokémon, thus creating an egg. Arceus just happen to be so powerful, he's able to simulate that bond between two pokémon and summon the Unown all by itself.
    White 2 FC: 3311 2771 3038 / 3DS FC: 0044 3638 4020

Looking for any pokemon with the move Celebrate

XY Global Link Medals: 147
    Battle Maison Trophies: 5

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

I think that Pokemon simply breed and the female lays an egg, not that it just appears from nowhere after a while.

In the journal in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island is says the Mew gave "birth" to Mewtwo. Obviously human interference was present and there wasn't an egg which complicates things but I think it still gives us insight into Pokemon reproduction and the egg question.

Blog Entries

I have heard that as well. Some think that is the reason for the Undiscovered egg group. That they reproduce in a way separate from other pokemon, or are too young to breed. Some have likened it to animals that do not breed in captivity. The lone anomaly in this matter is Nidorina/Nidoqueen. I was told this was because of a limitation in the coding of G/S/C that was preserved in later generations even though no other poke would suffer this, but why Nidoran♀ was accepted and not her evos continues to baffle me.

Blog Entries

Ditto is that blue X-Men girl, but not gendered. It can even grow a **** or even a ****** Werid.

I always accepted the "they come out of thin air" theory. Maybe they even do a Chao-Dance and the egg magically appears between them. I have a Fakemon that is a legendary Stork, who is said to be the only to deliver eggs to Pokemon couples.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    I was told this was because of a limitation in the coding of G/S/C that was preserved in later generations even though no other poke would suffer this, but why Nidoran♀ was accepted and not her evos continues to baffle me.
    I doubt it. I don't know how it was programmed, but I'd suspect that the only limitation would be the number of possible Pokémon in each Egg group. The largest Egg group is the Field group which contained 66 Pokémon. That means that each Egg group must be able to hold at least 66 possibilities... and if space is a concern then you need to minimize the number of bits used to store that infomration. This would mean it must use at least 7 bits (because 6 bits would only allow for 64 possibilities which isn't enough). Using 7 bits would allow for 128 possibilities, and if only 66 are being used then they'd have had plenty of room to add in Nidoran♀ and Nidorina.
    And even if there were only 64 possibilities... they could just make a duplicate Egg group containing the extra 2 as well as Nidoran♀ and Nidorina and just give that new Egg group all the same compatibilites as the Field Egg group. Unless space was so limited that they couldn't do that, but I really don't think it was.

Most likely, the only thing coding-wise that would have caused Nidoran♀ and Nidorina to end up in the No Eggs group would be if it happened on accident (the same way that the Psychic- and Ghost-type matchup on Generation I was incorrect by accident). Still, if this was the case I don't see why Game Freak would choose to "preserve" it rather than correct it.

It is strange though.

Blog Entries

Funny thing. The dex entries for Nidoqueen says it protects it's young, and yet you can't breed it. This might lend some credence to the alternate means of reproduction or can't breed in captivity thing. Nidorina also has dex entries in that persuasion. Of course, this could be handwaved as it had eggs as a Nidoran, but then evolved some time after. Given what the game would have me believe about pokemon, though (and at least one instance in the anime), pokemon quickly gain the ability to defend themselves, so that is somewhat unlikely.

Well, game-wise, there is no age system... only a level system. If you battle a lot you can make it evolve when it's not even a full day old.
    This doesn't seem to be the case in the anime canon... in the anime it seems that Pokémon must reach a certain amount of experience as well as age (and possibly other factors) before evolving. But this doesn't make any sense in the case of Nidoqueen, because baby Nidoqueens were shown (in Mewtwo Returns). That implies that they evolved into Nidorinas at a very young age and were somehow exposed to the Moon Stone while still babies. While it is certainly possible in the games, it seems bizarre that it would be able to happen in the anime. Maybe this was an error... I don't know how it could be though... it's not likely that the anime writers would ever be thinking of how to do it following the game canon rather than the anime canon...

Blog Entries

That's why I said "at least one instance in the anime". Dawn's Cyndaquil was already capable of everything that Ash's Cynda could do, and it just hatched.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12