What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

The leaf lives on... JustAnotherLeafeon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

Well, it wouldn't be Pokemon anymore, now would it?

Here are a few faults that I see:

1) Hilbert and Hilda and their respective 2.0. You can only have one version, and not both
    2 etc.) A severe lack in the one thing that makes Pokemon Pokemon. Guess what it is before I have to say it a third time? (Hint: It's Pokemon)

But nonetheless... I would give it a chance. Maybe watch a few episodes to test the waters per say. (I could totally see the rivalries...)
    Once upon a time there was a leafeon. There wasn't anything special about him. He was just a regular leafeon.
    But there's a story behind the leafeon.

Credit where credit is due.
    Oh look. A deviantART.

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar

Default Re: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    What makes pokemon interesting is that has monster with elemental types fighting each other how does being in a school go against that?
    That's not all there is, though. There's also the exploration, traveling across the world and encountering new and exciting things. A Pokémon journey is meant to be the adventure of a lifetime. Putting the characters in a stationary setting like a high school would take that away, and if you ask me, it'd be incredibly boring.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    As others have mentioned, it completely goes against the grain of what makes Pokémon interesting to begin with.
    Thats the key thing right there. You dont see Ferrari making clunky large sedans like the Ford Crown VIctoria. it defys what they stand for. Pokemon needs to stay in the open adventure realm that we have known for over 14 years. by making it into a high school style anime, you get all of the Cliches and stereotypes of that genera which have turned many people off. If it aint totaly broke, just fix it to keep it running the way it is suppost to!
    Last edited by 97SaturnSL1; 14th November 2012 at 08:09 PM.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

All these people arguing... here, I'll give you all a high school AU.

Scene: Pokémon High School.

Hilda (the female lead): ohmygosh I am a stereotypical girlygirl~ even though I don't even look like one! eeeeeeeeee
    Darkrai (the teacher): I am evil and mysterious and sexy even though I don't have legs.
    Hilbert (the male lead): I am tough and manly and handsome but I relentlessly pursue Hilda despite her girliness.
    Cheren (the nerd): I am a total nerd who always scores well but I know nothing about love~
    Bianca (the other nerd): I am also a nerd and I'm cute and clumsy and buxom and I'm looking for a mate like Cheren but when will he admit it?
    Ghetsis (the principle): I am twirl-my-mustache evil, but no one cares and instead focus on the dances.
    Ash (the other kid): I shouldn't even be in this!

Pokémon (the series focus): We're marginalized, pushed to the side, or even nonexistent unless we're Darkrai!

Nintendo (the company): This is an awful idea and we cancel all funding at once.

There you go. Isn't high school fun?
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    What makes pokemon interesting is that has monster with elemental types fighting each other how does being in a school go against that?
    That's not all there is, though. There's also the exploration, traveling across the world and encountering new and exciting things. A Pokémon journey is meant to be the adventure of a lifetime. Putting the characters in a stationary setting like a high school would take that away, and if you ask me, it'd be incredibly boring.
    The Avatar franchise went from being from travelling around the world to being in large city and I much prefer Legend of Korra. Colosseum took out the gym quest and it was a cult classic. So if they make the city or town or the environment of the school lively enough it could be. You don't make pokemon so it a stretch to say it is a essential feature because it is by no means a defining feature IMO at least.
    @97SaturnSL1; "appeal to tradition" is a logical fallacy. Having one manga or 13 episode anime or spinoff series isn't going to take away from the rest of the franchise it might take money but Nintendo's got plenty of that. I think Pokemon Snap goes against what made pokemon interesting but some people liked it and it didn't effect the rest of the series. Spinoffs are allowed to do different things that kinda what a spinoff is if I'm not mistaken and we had some really good pokemon spinoffs. What I like about pokemon is the concept of the trainer and having a diverse team but I love pokemon mystery dungeon it had some neat hack and slashing and its story made me cry.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

The Avatar franchise went from being from travelling around the world to being in large city and I much prefer Legend of Korra.
    I feel the key factor here is "large city". I would enjoy putting Pokemon in a super-large city (think Sharn from Dungeons and Dragons). A high school doesn't have the nearly the same scale.

Colosseum took out the gym quest and it was a cult classic.
    The primary reason it's a cult classic is because of the unique ideas like the Batman-like protagonist (the hero that Orre needs, not the hero that Orre wants, eh?), Shadow Pokemon, its desert-punk setting, and the truly dastardly Cipher. While the plot is more linear than previous games, it's not related to a high-school AU in the slightest.

So if they make the city or town or the environment of the school lively enough it could be.
    See my first point. It might be better to approach it with the city itself as the gameplay area, with the high school as one factor.

You don't make pokemon so it a stretch to say it is a essential feature because it is by no means a defining feature IMO at least.
    I doubt many people here make Pokemon--I definitely don't--so that point is irrelevant. But a recurring factor in virtually all Pokemon games is wandering from location to location and seeing the world. The primary exceptions are the Stadium Games and Battle Revolution, which focus on battling.

"appeal to tradition" is a logical fallacy. Having one manga or 13 episode anime or spinoff series isn't going to take away from the rest of the franchise it might take money but Nintendo's got plenty of that. I think Pokemon Snap goes against what made pokemon interesting but some people liked it and it didn't effect the rest of the series.
    It's not just "tradition": it's the series distinctive style. Pokemon Snap has a very niche audience (no offense). As cynical as it may seem, Nintendo and their subsidiaries (Game Freak in this case) are a out to make money, and spending money on an idea that fans are apparently jaded about isn't a very good idea.

Spinoffs are allowed to do different things that kinda what a spinoff is if I'm not mistaken and we had some really good pokemon spinoffs.
    Pokemon does have some good spinoffs, but they tend to stay true to the core concepts: battling, storytelling, and seeing the world firsthand instead of reading about it in a textbook.

What I like about pokemon is the concept of the trainer and having a diverse team but I love pokemon mystery dungeon it had some neat hack and slashing and its story made me cry.
    Good points, but Mystery Dungeon is even more adventure-oriented than the main series. I don't think high-schoolers are supposed to spend too much time delving into deep caves and battling mighty beasts.

tl;dr: I respectfully disagree with you because the idea of a high-school spinoff lacks many of Pokemon's defining characteristics. High school is still a school. Besides, what would the classes be about? How would they factor into the game? If poorly handled, it would simply be one big tutorial. Fun.

What would classes be about? I'll give you a look:

The Ocean, with Mr. Archie
    Geology, with Mr. Maxie
    Physics, with Mr. Cyrus
    Physical Education, with Mr. Giovanni
    History, with Mrs. Lenora
    Business, with Mr. Clay
    ???, with Mr. Darkrai
    And, of course, dance with Mr. Norman.

And you would never, ever see the students doing schoolwork.

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatmor C. Dawson View Post
    I feel the key factor here is "large city". I would enjoy putting Pokemon in a super-large city (think Sharn from Dungeons and Dragons). A high school doesn't have the nearly the same scale.
    I don't see how main characters in high school equals every scene is in high school. I guess we interpret the thread title differently. I consider Iron Man Armored Adventures to be in a high school setting but the bulk of the events are not in the school itself from what I'm seen at least.

The primary reason it's a cult classic is because of the unique ideas like the Batman-like protagonist (the hero that Orre needs, not the hero that Orre wants, eh?), Shadow Pokemon, its desert-punk setting, and the truly dastardly Cipher. While the plot is more linear than previous games, it's not related to a high-school AU in the slightest.
    If wouldn't consider the anti hero trope unique and tropes seem to be peoples problem with this idea for the most part. It could be a high school in Black City make it interesting. Add mafia stuff and Vigilantism and it could be good

See my first point. It might be better to approach it with the city itself as the gameplay area, with the high school as one factor.
    I Okay now I know we're interpreting differently. I think you should be less literal and this coming from an aspie

I doubt many people here make Pokemon--I definitely don't--so that point is irrelevant. But a recurring factor in virtually all Pokemon games is wandering from location to location and seeing the world. The primary exceptions are the Stadium Games and Battle Revolution, which focus on battling.
    It is relevant I'm saying that they don't have authority none of us do so you can't decide what is and isn't essential just like you can't say these don't look like Pokemon.

It's not just "tradition": it's the series distinctive style. Pokemon Snap has a very niche audience (no offense). As cynical as it may seem, Nintendo and their subsidiaries (Game Freak in this case) are a out to make money, and spending money on an idea that fans are apparently jaded about isn't a very good idea.
    WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT THEIR STYLE IS! And even if it was it would still be an example of the appeal to tradition logical fallacy.

Pokemon does have some good spinoffs, but they tend to stay true to the core concepts: battling, storytelling, and seeing the world firsthand instead of reading about it in a textbook.
    Who the hell are you to decide what core is. And just because it is in high school doesn't mean it gives any time to the studies. Glee for instance it doesn't have 10 minutes scenes of them sitting in math class nothing does so why do think it would.

Good points, but Mystery Dungeon is even more adventure-oriented than the main series. I don't think high-schoolers are supposed to spend too much time delving into deep caves and battling mighty beasts.
    Why is delving into caves so damn important? You're completely missing point. I felt that the trainer aspect was an essential feature but it worked out fine and it doesn't effect people who only play the main series games.

;dr: I respectfully disagree with you because the idea of a high-school spinoff lacks many of Pokemon's defining characteristics. High school is still a school. Besides, what would the classes be about? How would they factor into the game? If poorly handled, it would simply be one big tutorial. Fun.
    You haven't convinced me that traveling is a defining characteristic. It would still have the Pokemon themselves and the elemental moves. I see no reason why you think it is defing it is defined by having pokemon with types. To answer your question 1) just normal classes 2) they wouldn't just like tv shows
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

I have a feeling neither of us are going to budge on this issue, so let's reframe this: Suppose Nintendo tasked you with developing an idea for a high school-themed spinoff for Pokemon. How would you approach its design? What features would you add/remove? Would you build a totally new system from the ground up, or would you try to reconcile Pokemon's existing concepts with the new (for the series, anyway) setting? In short, what would your ideal high-school Pokemon game be like?

It would be like Persona, only with Pokémon and ridiculous romance options instead of mundane ones. And the cards would be replaced with types of Pokémon plus select legendaries, and you would make links with random people like Oak, and instead of actually summoning personas you would send out Pokémon. I cannot guarantee any Ursaring or Beartic or Spinda making terrible bear puns, however.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ew. Why label it "Pokemon" if it isn't, well, Pokemon? High school stories? Really? I don't want romance, I want battles! I want real struggles, not silly boy/girl troubles. It's an unoriginal idea (and the actual manga is bad enough) and it's just...not good.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    Ew. Why label it "Pokemon" if it isn't, well, Pokemon? High school stories? Really? I don't want romance, I want battles! I want real struggles, not silly boy/girl troubles. It's an unoriginal idea (and the actual manga is bad enough) and it's just...not good.
    Exactly, Pokemon focuses on, well POKEMON! having highschool features such as relationships and other boy/girl/highschool issues the POKEMON (the true stars of the series) get put on the back burner while the trainer(s) steal all of the spotlight. so No i dont support this in a high school setting because it goes against 100% of what the sereis is about in my thoughts

No thanks! I'd maybe watch an adult Pokemon show. Maybe. But, I like the anime now as it is, and High school wouldn't be different enough to justify a whole new series.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

It would be glorious, OC's would be far more interesting, and less risky to write too, since if we were watching it with the game characters, Red would never be allowed to lose, or a good part of the fandom would be all BROOKLYN RAGE and all that.

Also, the series/movie should have a good mix of comedy and serious moments, I imagine it could be like Buffy, nicely written characters, lots of tension and jokes inbetween them. And they should deal with more adult topics, and also the standard teenage shenanigans, but they also caan't forget the Pokémon part.

Why don't we, Pokémon Fans, make a joint project to actually make this, it could even be a cheesy B-Movie, I'd help.

Sekai de ichiban ojisama. Pratkun's Avatar
    Follow Pratkun On Twitter Add Pratkun on Facebook
    Follow Pratkun on Tumblr

It would be really interesting, like having tourneys in the school. Fights are decided by PokéBattles. :D

Most of the children would've rather gone out for their own adventure, lol.

Officially claimed Scraggy. GPXPlus profile.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast