What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting... - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

Default Re: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

It would be really interesting

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Default Re: What would you think of a series of Pokemon... in an high school setting...

Sorry bout the late response but both these quotes are kinda related so I want to address them both

Who said the school itself had to be any different to schools in our world it makes perfect sense for the school to have no pokemon related classes except biology. I think that would be interesting to people in the pokemon world studying things that aren't pokemon. Besides it doesn't have to be at the school itself much just have the students hang out after school and on weekend talk and have some evil stuff going on but everyone has pokemon. The main point of it being in high school is the setting is stationary and tthe characters are older.
    Isn't Pokemon all about hitting the road and going on real adventures in the wider world? I definitely would appreciate older characters, but older characters would likely be more anxious to travel, and have more resources and time in which to do it. A stationary setting defeats the purpose of Pokemon.

True but not everyone read fan fiction regularly and the only non rp high school AU's I have any personal experience with are Gothom high scans and Armored adventures. And again it would be different enough if the student aren't learning about pokemon in school. And this is about the idea of an official series so you wouldn't have to worry bout the done wrong thing that much.
    True, not everyone reads fan fiction. But it's not just in fan fiction either. Saying it's all over the place is a bit of a stretch, but I'd say a fair portion of teen fiction has high school as a key feature, albeit not without reason. Pokemon is somewhat (I can't say for certain) unique in its genre because its protagonists move around quite a bit. Why follow the crowd?

I think this could really work. They could have a tournament plot a mob plot which would work well with the one city setting romance plot. And they could keep short 15 chapters if it a manga 12 episodes if it's an anime downloadable title rather than a retail title if it a game
    I highly doubt any of those would sell. To the public, it'd probably be considered "just another high-school teen thing". To many Pokemon fans--not necessarily a majority--it would be perilously near heresy. Sorry, but no thanks.

Dear god, no! From what I have read on fanfiction.net (it is incredibly hard to find something I like amongst all the poorly-written or smutty garbage) as well as some shoujo anime, a high school AU setting would be a real drag. Yech! I like Pokemon for the adventure, and mostly for the Pokemon themselves.

I can just see the formula they will use if this were to happen: The protaganist is an awkward but very cute girl who owns an equally cute Pokemon (more than likely an Eevee or if they want to make her have a really dependent personality, a Jigglypuff) that probably has more common sense than her. All the guys around her range from level-headed (he will probably be the male protaganist and own an Eevee or a starter), to dorky (they would probably own a rare Pokemon like a Rhyhorn because of the super-nerd thing. I don't fecking know) to angsty-emo (he would own a badass Pokemon like a Gyarados or whatever). Female protaganist will have a rival who owns a girly but fully-evolved Pokemon. There is a love triangle. Pokemon barely get any screen time. The boys fight for the love of the girl. There are girl fights a plenty.

Ughhh...
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

追放されたバカ

I like Pokemon for its adventure! The characters traveling and meeting new people(and rivals) as well as making new discoveries are what makes the Pokemon anime fun and interesting to watch.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

NOPE. JUST FUCK NO.

I seen WAY TOO MUCH OF THESE GARBAGE IN FF.NET! As long there is Pocket f-ing MONSTERS, then ok. That's the mistake most High school AU FFs make. No pocket monsters, which is what the series is about. Unless it's about someone training and battling gym leaders while traveling to high schools, then ok?

Whatever. I still think this is a bad idea.
    97SaturnSL1 and Robo-Floatzel like this.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pantherotter View Post
    Dear god, no! From what I have read on fanfiction.net (it is incredibly hard to find something I like amongst all the poorly-written or smutty garbage) as well as some shoujo anime, a high school AU setting would be a real drag. Yech! I like Pokemon for the adventure, and mostly for the Pokemon themselves.

I can just see the formula they will use if this were to happen: The protaganist is an awkward but very cute girl who owns an equally cute Pokemon (more than likely an Eevee or if they want to make her have a really dependent personality, a Jigglypuff) that probably has more common sense than her. All the guys around her range from level-headed (he will probably be the male protaganist and own an Eevee or a starter), to dorky (they would probably own a rare Pokemon like a Rhyhorn because of the super-nerd thing. I don't fecking know) to angsty-emo (he would own a badass Pokemon like a Gyarados or whatever). Female protaganist will have a rival who owns a girly but fully-evolved Pokemon. There is a love triangle. Pokemon barely get any screen time. The boys fight for the love of the girl. There are girl fights a plenty.

Ughhh...
    yea i can see all of those happening...*shudder* of all ofthe other types of HS based anime i can agree that the pokemon will get cast out by all of the people."There is a love triangle. Pokemon barely get any screen time. The boys fight for the love of the girl. There are girl fights a plenty." that right there is a plot for disaster. that is why this should NEVER become in a high school setting to keep the Entire series from going and crashing even more

I'm out of Zek macros, OK TLZ the Confirmer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow TLZ the Confirmer On Twitter Add TLZ the Confirmer on Facebook Add TLZ the Confirmer on Google+ Add TLZ the Confirmer on MySpace
    Add TLZ the Confirmer on Linkedin Follow TLZ the Confirmer on Tumblr Follow TLZ the Confirmer on Flickr Visit TLZ the Confirmer's Youtube Channel

While I don't think it's impossible for that kind of thing to work (as with most things), a working concept would likely just have serial numbers filed off.

-Firstly, if there are little-no *ahem* pocket monsters, the series probably shouldn't carry the Pokémon name in the title. Too much confusion and too much rabblerousing from fans, who will then call the series "ruined FOREVER" and leave.
    -Second... ly, I agree with the idea that the series should include OCs instead of PCs, etc.

Hey, look, it's only two items down and the hypothetical series already has nothing to do with Pokémon! So what do we do now? Well, we could advertise it as a completely separate, original series; the only problem being the unoriginality of spinoff-ish high school setting... things themselves (kinda like what Pantherotter said)... in the end, it's basically a no-win situation. The best option is still, and will probably always be, to read one of the hundreds of high-school AU Pokémon fanfics already available on FF.net.
    I ran the now-defunct Claim-a-Move Thread. I also claimed Lightning Strike, Marshtomp, Motor Drive, Magic Guard, and Azure Flute (probably also expired, but who cares, as long as you know that I'm the ruler of everything).

In the 2012 era, I have unfairly won America*'s Warrior Cats Mafia (and a few ones before).

That sounds very different, it would be a nice change of pace to see human characters get more attention than Pokemon, Im thinking that Gamefreak should do it as a side game series.

Oh, and if the trainers could only use Pokemon at a certain time, with the highschool setting, it'd be like Shin Megami Tensei Persona :D

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Right when I saw this thread I thought of this:

(From the thread Lost Respect for Pokemon)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    They turn it into a high school dating game.
    Pokémon is all about adventures, going to new places and meeting new people while forming close bonds with your Pokémon friends, you can't do that if you're stuck in high school. If Pokémon trainers went to high school it would be all about exams and love triangles instead of the Pokémon. No thanks.

Definitelly not.
    I wouldn´t complain about giving humans more social interractions that are not only in terms of talking about battles and rivalry all the time (I have in mind more episodes like Holy matrimony, whose give us backstory of character, but are not Pokémon-centred. Other could give some character developement, which is not neccesary bound with Pokémon and fulfilling one´s ultimate goal). This should be made slightly and not in every second episode, to give the series something new.

But turn it into some kind of usual pathetic high school story would deffinitelly destroy the whole concept of Pokémon.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to delve into the personalities and emotions of the human characters in the Pokémon universe. But dumping them into a shoujo-style high school AU isn't the way to do it. As others have mentioned, it completely goes against the grain of what makes Pokémon interesting to begin with.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

I wouldn't want to see one in a typical American or even typical Japanese high school, because that's been so played-out. But I do think it would be interesting to explore the lives of trainers who go to Pokemon training schools like we occasionally see in the video games and anime, rather than do the "get thrown out into the world at ten" route that the heroes and heroines always go. So I'd like to see a series set in a Pokemon trainer academy or something of that nature.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

I honestly don't see it working. I can think of two ways it could be executed:

a.) Throw the present characters into a HS setting, with an attempt to keep their personalities intact, but shoujo-ified. Is that possible? As stated in OP.

b.) Construct entirely new characters, then throw into a HS setting.

Keeping in mind that either option would warrant much less screentime for actual pokémon, I don't think either would work. The first option wouldn't because I really don't think their personalities would be interesting in this particular setting. The game characters have always been more about their goals, and it seems to me that this method would shift the focus to romance and dump the actual pokémon (who are obviously the subject of their goals) in the backseat.

The second would fail too. The thing here is that with strangers playing all the parts and the actual pokémon much less seen, this wouldn't even feel like pokémon anymore.

Pokémon has always been more about the connection between trainer and pokémon, and less of trainer and trainer.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to delve into the personalities and emotions of the human characters in the Pokémon universe. But dumping them into a shoujo-style high school AU isn't the way to do it. As others have mentioned, it completely goes against the grain of what makes Pokémon interesting to begin with.
    What makes pokemon interesting is that has monster with elemental types fighting each other how does being in a school go against that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    What makes pokemon interesting is that has monster with elemental types fighting each other how does being in a school go against that?
    Exactly! It doesnt, I agree :D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast