What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

Default Re: What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

I use attacks of different types, except when sometimes two attacks have such varying effects that I let a Pokemon know them even thought they are of the same type. Example is a fire attack that deals some damage and lowers a stat, whilst the other is another fire attack, but one that inflicts lots of damage with no secondary effect.

I often want at least one effect technique, like a stat boost. For a Pokemon to use this, I must find ways to stall the opponent, like putting him to sleep. I've also tried DOT (damage over time) a bit, like toxic combined with leech seeds (try this in RGBY and see what happens!). Paralysis/poison/burn combined with confusion and leeching while your Pokemon protects itself is another strategy I could try. Although it's a bit annoying for your opponent and leads to slow battles, it's an alternative to trying to inflict as much damage as possible in a short time.

I'm happy they introduced infestation, the bug attack. It has 100% acc compared to fire spin and other similar attacks. Fire spin has low acc since gen 1 when it could trap the opponent, so it would be over-powered if it had 100%, meaning the opponent would have no chance to act as long as its speed was lower than the attacker. Fire spin was changed because it was seen as still too powerful, but the acc is still low.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Follow 812in317 on Tumblr

HP draining moves are a MUST for any team.

play later - sleep now! Playful_Weasel's Avatar
    Add Playful_Weasel on Facebook Add Playful_Weasel on Google+
    Visit Playful_Weasel's Youtube Channel

I tend to teach at least 4 out of my 6 Pokemon at least 3 attacking moves (lower HP) and at least one that lowers accuracy, stats (defense, attack), or make it less likely to attack (like attract). The 2 others I may just teach them 4 attacking moves.

I realized that method works best for me. I know before I would just teach all 6 damaging attacks. I discovered the beauty of lowering stats would aid in battle - since then I started using them more and more.

For example my Mienshao knows 3 attacking moves (one even takes away HP) Aura Sphere, Hi Jump Kick, & Drain Punch and 1 move that protects herself Detect. That move that protects herself I mainly save for double battles, when another of my Pokemon knows an attack (like my Floatzel's Surf) that will hit all Pokemon.

My Watchog knows 3 attacks Thunderbolt, Hyper Fang, and Cut and also knows an attack that prevents Pokemon from fleeing battle Mean Look

My main exception is my Meowstic (male) as it knows 2 Psychic damaging attacks [Psyshock and Psybeam] and two non-damaging attacks: Disarming Voice and also knows Attract.
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
    - 4871-3995-3493
    Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
    I have many teams in Kalos - my original team will always be:
    Original Y Team - IGN Maria: Delphox - Mienshao - Watchog - Lucario - Sylveon - Vaporeon

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

eq, arguably the best offensive move in the game, stealth rock (ussually) on something. U-turn, and reliable stabs and status, for competetive, in game i just take the best moves and hope.

at least 2 direct attack moves and at least 1 status move, allowing for much diversity for the remaining move. Also i like to stick to level-up moves as much as possible. e.g.

Jynx:
    fake tears (stats)
    lovely kiss (SLP) for stalling
    Psychic (STAB)
    Blizzard (STAB)
    the stat move & both direct damage moves utilize her high sp. atk

I usually give my Pokemon either four attacking moves, or three attacks and a stat-changing/status move. I also like to have moves with secondary effects, especially if it complements the Pokemon's ability or held item. For example, I taught my Drapion cross poison, which has a high critical hit ratio, because its sniper ability boosts the power of critical hits.

I also try to teach my Pokemon at least one move that matches each of their typings, but avoid teaching them more than two moves of the same type. Usually, I teach my Pokemon something that's super effective against one of its weaknesses if I can. And I always take moves with high accuracy and low power over moves with high power and low accuracy.

Blog Entries

Follow GastonGibus on Tumblr Visit GastonGibus's Youtube Channel

It all depends on the Pokemon. If it's a fast, offensive Pokemon like Hitmonlee or Infernape, I'll usually go for three offensive moves and one stat booster/reducer. Right now I'm training a Hitmontop, currently running with Triple Kick, Aerial Ace, Rapid Spin, and Agility. Stat boosters are immensely useful depending on the Pokemon. After EV training Hitmontop for speed and with him having a Jolly nature that boosts speed, one Agility ensures I will outrun almost anything.

However, if it's more of a slow, defensive Pokemon like Dusknoir or Aggron, I'll usually go with more stat boosting/utility moves. Since their role isn't to deal damage, I try to build them up with stat boosters to make them even harder to take down. You don't want to see my Aggron after using Iron Defense twice. xD
    "How can you read this? There's no pictures!"

|No one writes like Gaston!|
    |It's Electric: Cranking it to Eleven || A New Life - For Better or Worse|

Blog Entries

I'm of the belief that a good offense is just as good -- if not better than -- a good defense.

In very rare cases, they may have a stat boosting move. Only two in my team I can name off the top of my head are Gyarados with Dragon Dance and Volcarona with Quiver Dance.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Bug-type Master SupersonicScolipede's Avatar

I always try to teach Dig to a member of my team, even though there are better alternatives, just in case I ever get into a pinch in a cave without an escape rope. That being said, caves have become less...arduous (although I'm positive the Zubat in Connecting Cave are meant to be intentional trolling) with every game, so this may be a habit I'll soon break.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12