What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

Blog Entries

Default What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

I always wandered what a "normal" pokémon trainer would teach to his/her team.
    I always teach to my team attack moves that inflicts damage, i never teach any moves that changes stats..

Im thinking of changing this strategy because i cant even use the other attacks (usually, i use only one attack), then whenever an attack move is run out of PP, my pokémon has always low HP (explaining that having too much attack moves is useless if there are nurse joy all over the place). I also noticed this style on event pokemon, they usually have 2 attack moves and 2 change stats moves..

Id like to know what you think of my strategy, should i change it or do i have to stick with my original habit...
    Last edited by make_it_worse; 2nd October 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What type of moves do you usually teach in your crew?

I tend to use 4 attacking moves because why not.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I prefer offensive strategies than using support/stat-enhancing moves, but for my Volcarona, I'll always use Quiver Dance once or twice before attacking if I can. So it has, three attacking moves (Hurricane, Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz) and Quiver Dance.

Speaking of Fiery Dance, I try to teaxh those kinds of attacks as well since they come with secondary stat-affecting effects

However... the rest of my team are all out attackers. My Gallade and Rampardos have their four slots full of damage-dealing moves

Blog Entries

It depends on the pokemon. I use a lot of water types, and they will ALL know Surf, even though it's redundant. It's too good of a move for them to not have. Aside from that, the moves I specifically look for are Leech Seed (my god, this move is great in every stage of the game), and at least one disabling move on my team like Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray (for when I need to stall for some time to use Revives).

So basically my strategy is to try and blast through the opponent's team with water moves, and use status moves/Ice/Flying to take care of the pokemon that resist water. I rarely use fire (although I am extremely tempted to use Renamon - I mean the XY fire starter)

Fox Witch of Red Arylett Dawnsborough's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually teach three offensive moves and one status move. Or just all offensive, really. Since I play mostly in-game/casual, there isn't much need for status move strategy. And even then, my most advanced strategy typically amounts to using Swords Dance or Nasty Plot or something like that first, then attacking. If I feel like doing so. Also, one of the moves is typically a STAB move. And the other two/three are moves that play on the Pokemon's highest attacking stat. Either Special Attack or Physical. If the Pokemon has approximately similar stats, I'll do mixed. I might also give it one to fill a special attacker slot in my team, as I typically go with three special attackers and three physical.

Blog Entries

I play to the Pokemon's strengths. But if it runs a sufficient set with it, I aim for status moves. I love doing damage indirectly. Leech Seed is a godsend, and is sure to be a staple on my Chespin's future set. I love the concept for Spiky Shield, Protect + Iron Thorns (Temporary) rolled in one is awesome. Love taking my foe's items, so I am the advantaged one and not them. Thief is my favourite attack move. I like Bite/Crunch, too. Stealing a foe's HP is fun. And you never go wrong with status.

So my answer is;

Crunch
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Flamethrower
    Thunder Wave
    Toxic
    Will o Wisp
    Hypnosis
    Sing
    Leech Seed
    Protect
    Rest (Hydration)
    Detect
    Thief
    Trick
    Switcheroo
    Drain Punch
    Giga Drain
    Taunt

I expect I'll use Spiky Shield loads.

Blog Entries

Follow Markos on Tumblr Visit Markos's Youtube Channel

I usually prefer moves with secondary effects over normal ones. I sacrifice one slot to a status move, depending on the Pokémon. For example, a defensive Pokémon get stuff like Nasty Plot/Curse in there, while offensive ones get Swords Dance or Agility. I also love residual damage, so Rocky Helmet, Iron Thorns, burn or poison, and field hazards are all welcome.

Claims: Ferrothorn, PokéGear, Nanab Berry, Megahorn, Dry Skin, Caesar, Morgan Black

Cradily

AncientPower
    Giga Drain
    Curse
    Mirror Coat

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Having at least some status or stat-boosting moves is helpful even in game against opponents like the E4 and Champion, but often all you need is four offensive attacks. Although it definitely depends on the Pokemon. Since BlueLatios97 mentioned Cradily, I'll use that for an example. Because of its low speed and attack power but high defenses, it's pretty difficult to make use of an all-offensive one. Moves like Curse and Toxic are very important to it being useful. Other Pokemon like Blaziken are probably better off going purely offensive.

Blog Entries

I usually go purely offensive but I have been known to teach a couple of my guys entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock to many of my hatchling Golett horde or Toxic Spikes to my Beedrill. However, if the Pokemon is more of a supporter, I'll give it those moves. It just varies on the 'Mon and how I want to use it.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

The basic for me is baton passing swords dance/nasty plot and 1 physical sweeper and 1 special sweeper, I always have psychic on the special sweeper since there arent a lot of psychic resistance and it has decent PP

Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

Depending on the Pokemon, ingame I usually like to fill each slot with an attack move to get maximum coverage.

Sometimes I like to use stat-changing moves, though. And sometimes I use something in-between (Power-up punch rocks)
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

Depends on what I want to do with my Pokemon. Normally I'll have one or two bulky ones with Toxic, Wish, Roost and stuff like that. Anything you can stall with. Those are also the guys I give my entry-hazards to.

The Rest of my party will, in most cases, be a mix of physical and special attackers. Meaning there is alot of shadow-sneaks, bravebirds, draco-meteors, etc. Everything that fits each attacker the way I want it to fit...
    ... I'll choose to get a few more bulky ones from time to time, but I count those as attackers as well. 'Cause any third bulky Pokemon I use will most likely try to set up a few swords dances or similiar moves.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Follow Aulos on Tumblr

I always give them four attacking moves of various strengths. Like with a water starter, I'll have Surf (always), Hydro Pump, Ice Beam/Icy Wind and something else (like with Greninja it was a Dark move, but with Feraligatr, I had Bite or Crunch). The logic being having some diversity (the ice move has been what I have used to take down Dragons in the past, but now that we have the Fairy type I didn't even use Ice Beam much), and, of course, have a Water (type matching) move with more PP, but still decent strength, and also have the stronger type matching move.

I don't battle competitively, and this has always worked perfectly for me in-game. I don't need status changing moves, ever. The only non attack moves I ever have are status inducing ones, like Thunder Wave.
    ~~

I always have to have 1 stat raising move, 1 move that gives a STAB boost to each of its types, must have high accuracy, and 1 coverage move in case it goes up against something its weak to. I tend to do as much sweeping as possible by boosting as much as I think is necessary (usually once if its something like Nasty Plot or twice if its Work Up). Thanks to that, it feels like a real pain when I get Roared out or have to switch due to being completely walled.

Test yourself by challenging the Bulbagarden Battle League!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast