I've been thinking about this off and on for years, ever since Generation I. Just what is Slowpoke... like, what real-world animal does he represent?
I was thinking either:
- hermit crab - since Slowbro is the "hermit crab" Pokémon, having a shell on the tail... and the fact that they both live on the beach near water
- hippopotamus - looks a bit hippo-like in my opinion, and there's the whole water thing
Other possibilities are:
- sloth - both are slow, have widely spaced eyes, and some sloths live near water
- gecko or other such lizard because of the regernative tail thing
- giant salamander - I have no idea why, but that was listed on Bulbapedia
Or is it based on something else?
Or just completely made up?