What Pokémon are based on - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Pokémon are based on

I thought that Ninetales was based off of a character from Inuyasha xD

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen
    I think I'll go with "cougar" only.....

Questions I need a consensus on: 1. Should I add "/colocynth" to Ludicolo? 2. What in the world is Jynx? 3. Is Rukario really based on Anubis? 4. Is Tyranitar based on Godzilla?

V Faction:
    Every picture but two I can find of this "colocynth" is pure yellow (the first is mainly medium bluish green with very thin, spotty, off-white stripes and last is light medium orange). I'm going to need a consensus on this one.
    I'll add "Yogis" for those two.
    Every lindworm I've seen and heard of has 2 legs only (2 legs+2 wings=wyvern; in heraldry the lindworm and the wyvern are considered the same, I think), so I think it may be some kind of wurm/wyrm (no legs). However, I keep finding that they live around water, which isn't Onix/Steelix-like.
    Well, colocynth was from another source. Even I was unsure if it was plausible after Googling the pictures. The only thing that seems to stick is the 'colo' connection in the names.

The Wikipedia article does say they can be legless, but I'll go with a simple 'wyrm' if that's all that can be given. I remember a discussion I had a very long time ago, and the distinct spelling of wyrm is something I recall. I'd be inclined to go with that more, ignoring the whole water characteristic.

I'm with chesus on Rukario and Anubis. That's what most people related Rukario to before he was released to the public. The humanshape of Rukario is the reason why I'm leaning more towards Anubis than straight-up jackal. I will also agree with the Godzilla connection for Tyranitar. That's, again, what people basically agreed on in past dicussions of the same topic.

And here's some food for thought:

I once stumbled upon what I believed to be an animal connection with Metagross. It was a spider with the same sound in its name (the 'ross' sound). Sadly, I haven't been able to refind this bit of info and can't completely confirm its validity.

If we're adding instruments relations to the Whismur family, might as well place Whistle/Jug under Whismur. The little hole in the head suggests a wind apparatus performed by small blowing of wind.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas-san
    I thought that Ninetales was based off of a character from Inuyasha xD
    No, they just come from the same source. Like with Kyuubimon. (I've never watched Inuyasha, so I don't know who you're talking about.)

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    If we're adding instruments relations to the Whismur family, might as well place Whistle/Jug under Whismur. The little hole in the head suggests a wind apparatus performed by small blowing of wind.
    That's what I thought, too. (Except... Icouldn'tthinkoftherightwordandkeptsayingjar....) I'm going to put "Jar/".

About the Farfetch'd thing, I'm starting to think I'm delusional because I can't find any traces of this "folklore" I've heard

What I actually found was that "kamo" means duck and "negi" means spring onion so it literally means "Onion Duck," which apparently is a dish in Japan (Kamo Negi Udon I think it was? They probably make it with ramen too), which is why I got those pictures when I typed in kamonegi...

It seems that Farfetch'd is sort of a joke by the designers, and not an actual folklore *sigh* I've gone insane then, you can make that correction now

it's just a duck with a leek/green onion

There's this link too
    "A few weeks back, I was clued in to the expression kamo negi, which for those whose Japanese is as bad as mine, means literally "duck" and "onion." It originally referred to finding a duck amid a patch of leeks, a meal just waiting to be prepared."
    Last edited by redchesus; 16th July 2005 at 04:41 AM.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Speaking of Farfetch'd, the 4koma depiction is that of a Samurai, methinks.

Blog Entries

"4koma"?

Ok, made the correction. Also, I found that Kingdra is a weedy sea dragon, not a leafy sea dragon.

Beautifly's Japanese name is "Agehanto" and Ageha is a type of butterfly (it may be the scientific name, I'm not sure)

I may be overanalyzing, but do you think Mankey and Primeape's pig noses are a homage to Cho Hakkai the pig from Journey to the West (the story with the monkey god Son Goku)? I thought it was odd that those two randomly had pig noses instead of regular monkey noses
    Last edited by redchesus; 16th July 2005 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Ageha is merely a swallowtail butterfly.

I don't know; I never looked into that. I wonder why they're round and white, though....

Blog Entries

To me, Pidgey's always looked more like a sparrow. It's got the nice round body, and it's small like one. But I still have yet to figure out what spearow could be.

Slowpoke's always reminded me of a hippo either crossed with something, or just interpreted differently (namely in the tail area).

Instead of a kiwi, isn't Doduo more likely a rhea? Rhea

As for Tauros, it looks more like a buffalo or bison of some sort. The shape of the horns and the ring of fur around the neck that I've never seen on any type of bull. Of course, maybe I've just not seen the right kind.

Could Marill be a water rat? It's described as the "water mouse" Pokemon. So it's not a far stretch.

The Hoppip line sure looks like dandelions to me.

For Dunsparce, there's a type of snake that lives the majority of its life underground and is extremely fast at digging. I just wish I could remember the name of it, so I could get a pic.

Couldn't Ursaring be more specifically a sun bear?

I think Skarmory's more of a marabou stork than a California condor.

Suicune looks like some sort of wolf or racing dog. You can tell by the elongated snout and stream-lined body.

Spinda seems like a teddy bear brought to life. No, not an actual bear, but the stuffed ones suddenly able to move on its own.

Couldn't Milotic be your run of the mill mythical sea serpent? With maybe a little siren thrown in?

Isn't it possible that Absol was partly influenced by the ibex?

As for Snorunt, I always considered it to be related to eskimoes and totem poles. I can see some definite Native American influence in it. And I seem to remember hearing a legend that described something close to it.

As for the rest, I either agree, or can't come up with anything better.

Spearow reminded me of some really odd hawk. Whatever connection I made was probably on some oddly unintelligible or intangible level, as usual, but it did remind me of a variation on a hawk.

Absol's always reminded me of an ibex...I'd be genuinely surprised if the ibex wasn't the base inspiration for Absol.

Blog Entries

Question for everyone: Is Spinda a "teddy bear brought to life"?

Quote Originally Posted by GrnMarvl13
    To me, Pidgey's always looked more like a sparrow. It's got the nice round body, and it's small like one. But I still have yet to figure out what spearow could be.

Instead of a kiwi, isn't Doduo more likely a rhea? Rhea

As for Tauros, it looks more like a buffalo or bison of some sort. The shape of the horns and the ring of fur around the neck that I've never seen on any type of bull. Of course, maybe I've just not seen the right kind.

Could Marill be a water rat? It's described as the "water mouse" Pokemon. So it's not a far stretch.

The Hoppip line sure looks like dandelions to me.

Couldn't Ursaring be more specifically a sun bear?

I think Skarmory's more of a marabou stork than a California condor.

Suicune looks like some sort of wolf or racing dog. You can tell by the elongated snout and stream-lined body.

Spinda seems like a teddy bear brought to life. No, not an actual bear, but the stuffed ones suddenly able to move on its own.

Couldn't Milotic be your run of the mill mythical sea serpent? With maybe a little siren thrown in?

Isn't it possible that Absol was partly influenced by the ibex?

As for Snorunt, I always considered it to be related to eskimoes and totem poles. I can see some definite Native American influence in it. And I seem to remember hearing a legend that described something close to it.
    Could Pidgey be a cedar waxwing? It has the mask, the yellowish underside, and even the funky head crest.

I think I'll replace ostrich with rhea. Kiwis have long, thin, yellow beaks that may or may not be greatly curved, unnoticeable wings, and no real tail. They're round little things, but the rhea's height and long neck are more like Doduo.

Near dead-ringer for a bison! Just shave the head, give 'im odd metallic things on his forehead, lengthen the tail and give 'im two more!

Despite the name, I see no resemblance. Maybe it is a (rather messed up) pika....

Maybe Hoppip and Jumpluff, but Skiploom doesn't look like any dandelion I've ever seen. It looks slightly like a white daisy with inverted colors.

Ok.

Between the collar, comparatively short beak, thing sticking out of the back of the head, and short legs, I'd say that it's actually an Andean condor. Skarmory for comparison. (Links for both: Ac S)

Holy moly. I went and got my The Encyclopedia of the Dog, remembered someone's suggestion of Afghan hound, flipped there (pg. 87), and Suicune looks almost like a mostly shaved one made blue and white! :O
    Some A.h.s have little tufts of hair under their snouts, resembling a beard. If you greatly lengthen the ears, make them purple, and shove them onto its back, that could explain where that odd mane comes from.

Uh.... Okay.... I'll have to ask others about that.

Ok. Maybe the siren's gills would be enlongated into those ear things. (Imagine being thrown around by your gills! And by a 13 lb mousy thing, no less!)

I don't know. The only resemblances I see are 1. they're both quadripedal and 2. they both live in the mountains. They both have things on the side of their heads, but the ibex's two horns are oriented vertically and ribbed whereas Absol's single... thing... is horizontal and possibly sharp (I can't tell).

Should I put something about it? Could you add a little more information?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyWolf
    Spearow reminded me of some really odd hawk. Whatever connection I made was probably on some oddly unintelligible or intangible level, as usual, but it did remind me of a variation on a hawk.
    Thought so. I seem to remember a bird with a similar spikey head, but I don't know what it was. I just left "Sparrow" there because I was tired and editing the list was taking longer than I hoped.
    It looks vaguely like a young Harris' hawk, but not that much.
    Last edited by Kthleen; 17th July 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks for making the topic^_^

Blog Entries

You're welcome, creepy_kecleon, but you should really be thanking HoundoomTrainer and Wolf Goddess because I would have been too lazy to start and compile the list on my own. Unless you're thanking me for bringing it over here. Eh.... You're welcome, anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen
    Could Pidgey be a cedar waxwing? It has the mask, the yellowish underside, and even the funky head crest.
    Actually...it looks like it just might be.

Near dead-ringer for a bison! Just shave the head, give 'im odd metallic things on his forehead, lengthen the tail and give 'im two more!
    Exactly. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bull with a bison influence.

Despite the name, I see no resemblance. Maybe it is a (rather messed up) pika....
    Eh. Looks like a water rat with a pika head to me.

Maybe Hoppip and Jumpluff, but Skiploom doesn't look like any dandelion I've ever seen. It looks slightly like a white daisy with inverted colors.
    Maybe it's one of these. A couple look awfully close.

Between the collar, comparatively short beak, thing sticking out of the back of the head, and short legs, I'd say that it's actually an Andean condor. Skarmory for comparison. (Links for both: Ac S)
    I think you might be right for most of the body, but the beak's got a maribou feel to it.

Uh.... Okay.... I'll have to ask others about that.
    Teddy bear. Now give it a bigger head and crazy eyes.

I don't know. The only resemblances I see are 1. they're both quadripedal and 2. they both live in the mountains. They both have things on the side of their heads, but the ibex's two horns are oriented vertically and ribbed whereas Absol's single... thing... is horizontal and possibly sharp (I can't tell).
    Decided to do a general search for horned mammals. I've found something better than the ibex. Meet the scimitar-horned oryx. Cross it with what was originally suggested, and it might be dead-on.

Should I put something about it? Could you add a little more information?
    As for Snorunt, there are a number of Native American influences:

The most obvious...the teepee.

Maybe even a little Geow-lud-mo-sis-eg thrown in.

One artist's interpretation of the Spirit of Winter. Note how triangular the hood is.

And there are numerous tales of winter that could apply to little Snorunt.

Blog Entries

Flygon is a lacewing, and you know it. That explains the "goggles".

And Glalie looks like Getter Robo.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnMarvl13
    Exactly. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bull with a bison influence.

Eh. Looks like a water rat with a pika head to me.

Maybe it's one of these. A couple look awfully close.

I think you might be right for most of the body, but the beak's got a maribou feel to it.

Teddy bear. Now give it a bigger head and crazy eyes.

Decided to do a general search for horned mammals. I've found something better than the ibex. Meet the scimitar-horned oryx. Cross it with what was originally suggested, and it might be dead-on.

As for Snorunt, there are a number of Native American influences:

The most obvious...the teepee.

Maybe even a little Geow-lud-mo-sis-eg thrown in.

One artist's interpretation of the Spirit of Winter. Note how triangular the hood is.

And there are numerous tales of winter that could apply to little Snorunt.
    I think that it's the opposite, personally. It looks like a bison with a shaved head and inverted colors (dark collar and light body fur instead of vice versa).

Looks like a oval-mabob with pika ears to me. Other than that (and general animal features, such as limbs, a tail, and a face), I don't really see an animal base, in all honesty.

Could be mountain groundsel (1 2). If the petals were a bit wider and the center white, they would look quite a bit like it.

Ok.

I have a toy Scottish Terrier whose body is very like Skitty's. (He even has the tiny triangular hind legs! ) Is Skitty based on a plush animal? I just think it's a drunken panda made small and cute for kids. But I'll add it anyway....

Maybe it has something in common with the four horned sheep minus two horns? I wonder what that white thing on the side of Absol's head is. (It seems to be unmoving, unlike ears or fur, so maybe it's hard, like [if not] a horn.)

The hood of my black cloak from Museum Replicas Limited is triangular when I put it up, too. I think I may add the first two. (Statement first: Though I can't find any other straw blanket/jacket things like in Zeta's picture, it's obvious that these things were triangular when worn. Tipis have rather small openings, whereas these straw blanket/jacket things have comparatively large openings where the face does and is supposed to show out of, like Snorunt. Snorunt's like a head with hands that look like purse clasps [or perhaps someone trying to pull a blanket closed] and feet. I don't think it's based on a tipi.)

Sorry it took so long. I was thinking.
    Last edited by Kthleen; 20th July 2005 at 11:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast