What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What names do you prefer?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

31 65.96%
  • Japanese (translated)

16 34.04%
  • Other language

1 2.13%
  • I don't care.

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

English. Because English is my main language, and if I only play the English versions of the games, where's the logic in using the Japanese names? And if I don't like an English name, I'll just live with it, as there's no point using all English names but then using Isshu instead of Unova. But obviously before the English names are revealed, I'll have to use the Japanese names, and it'll take me a while to get used to the English names. Like, for example, after using Japanese names for the Gen V Pokemon for months, it took me a few weeks to get completely used to the English names. But now, I can't remember many of the Japanese names (like, say, I can't remember Eelektross's Japanese name).
    Gengarzilla likes this.

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

I prefer the English names because they're easier for me to memorize (it took me just a few weeks to memorize all the Generation 5 Pokemon names as opposed to the three months that it took me to memorize their Japanese names), but I still like some of the Japanese names; Mijumaru sounds better than Oshawott imo.

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

I prefer the English names, especially when it comes down to Pokémon names. Most of them might be punny, but in my opinion they're generally better than the Japanese ones (Sandshrew > Sand), though there are some bad English names too (I'm looking at you, Seel and friends) :P

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

Blog Entries

I prefer the Japanese names, but I use the English names because they're easier to remember!
    Glaziola likes this.

I'm out of Zek macros, OK TLZ the Confirmer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow TLZ the Confirmer On Twitter Add TLZ the Confirmer on Facebook Add TLZ the Confirmer on Google+ Add TLZ the Confirmer on MySpace
    Add TLZ the Confirmer on Linkedin Follow TLZ the Confirmer on Tumblr Follow TLZ the Confirmer on Flickr Visit TLZ the Confirmer's Youtube Channel

My friend and I were talking about this earlier last week. I hated the English starter names when they first came out, Oshawott in particular, but now I think it's the best of the starter names and much cooler than Mijumaru/Mijimaru. *still snivy < Tustarja < Smugleaf imo* My friend, however, thought otherwise, and named her Oshawott Daikenki so she didn't have to deal with Samurott (which she apparently initially thought had to do with rotting bananas).

These days it's the Japanese names I tend to remember first due to memorization that I've never done with the English names, regardless. I think Kirikizan is a better name than Bisharp, and I liked the name Minezumi for Patrat enough that I named my Drilbur Zumi (which I then traded away for a Drilbur named Troper, haha).
    I ran the now-defunct Claim-a-Move Thread. I also claimed Lightning Strike, Marshtomp, Motor Drive, Magic Guard, and Azure Flute (probably also expired, but who cares, as long as you know that I'm the ruler of everything).

In the 2012 era, I have unfairly won America*'s Warrior Cats Mafia (and a few ones before).

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

I prefer the Japanese names and version. They aren't products of ** you know which evil organization I was going to mention....

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It really depends. The English names are more familiar to me because I play the games in English, but the Japanese aren't bad.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Generally, when talking about the anime, I use Japanese names, and when talking about the games, I use English names. I don't really have much of a preference toward either specifically, other than a few English names for both Pokemon and characters that I really dislike.
    Glaziola likes this.

Visit Kyouhei!'s Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glaziola View Post
    How dare they butcher Mijumaru's cute name with Oshawott? Heathens!
    And replace the badass Futachimaru with DEWOTT??
    Glaziola likes this.

This epic banner was made by the epic Blue Dragon!

Only the final evolution, Daikenki / Samurott, has a good English name, in my opinion, it references its design.

I absolutely do not care one bit. I tend to use the English names over the German and Japanese ones though.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Blog Entries

I use Engish names... since I speak English I only use Japanese names when the English names aren't releasred (and that was only for Gen V)
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123