What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What names do you prefer?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

31 65.96%
  • Japanese (translated)

16 34.04%
  • Other language

1 2.13%
  • I don't care.

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

Um, I go with the Japanese names and the switch to English when they are revealed. Like I've already forgotten Roxie's Japanese name. :<

EDIT: I remember it now. Homika. :P
    Last edited by Setra; 26th September 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

ブーバー=Boober=Magmar. Riiightt...

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

English ones, by far. Japanese names tend to suck butt or sound awkward and lazy. Like in any situation. Pokemon names, city names, item names, character names, it doesn't matter.

I've always liked English names better. They're often more clever, simpler, and just plain sound better.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Tyestor View Post
    English because English is my first language and I'm not a weeaboo. The only time I would ever use the Japanese names is if there was no English version yet (obviously) or I was discussing an episode of the anime I had watched in Japanese (because it was not in English yet, like the latter episodes of B/W) with other people who watched that episode in Japanese. If you're typing a post/speaking in English, use the English names. If you're typing a post/speaking in Japanese, use the Japanese names. People who say Japanese words while speaking English elsewhere annoy me greatly. i.e people (weebs) who say "You are a baka" instead of "You are an idiot". Same principal.
    While it's fine for you to have your opinion and prefer one over the other, please don't insult the people who are the opposite by referring them to as weeaboos/weebs as it can offend and serves no purpose in getting your point/opinion across.
    Glaziola likes this.

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

For me, it really dependes on the situation. If I was introduced to something by it's Japanese name first, It'd would take me some time to get used to the change and vice-versa. I usually tend to use the English names if available, due to it being my first language.

Blog Entries

I learned the English names for the characters in the anime first but when the black & white games came out, I learned Tepig's Japanese name first so I always call Tepig Pokabu.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

English, because I speak it. It's pretty much all the same in Japanese, anyways.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ENGLISH is the only prefernce. unless the japanese name is also the english name such as Pikachu, Zoroark, ect

Ѵαηqμίşℎℯr ℴƒ ℳℴrℸαℓş Black Dragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Japanese. But I also do like English.

~~ℱℴrღαℓℓϒ ℸℎℯ ℸωίℓίℊℎℸ ķηίℊℎℸ~~

Blog Entries

I prefer the original Japanese (romaji) names, they sound better, in my opinion.
    Plus, I watch the anime with the original Japanese audio, so I am more used to the original names as well.

Not that I have problems in using the English ones, of course.

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

English. It's not that I don't like the Japanese names, it's just that they're really stupid when translated. (I'm refering to Gens I & II)

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I have always prefered the English names straight from day 1. Even if an English name is stupid, I find no point in not using it. It's already out there and hiding won't help.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

It depends. I prefer most of the Japanese Generation V names but first generation for example I prefer English. I don't really care about anime character names before BW

I only know the English Pokemon names, but for the Generation 5 characters, I'm used to the Japanese names. I like how they sound in my head, but I have no idea how they're actually pronounced, I often even emphasize the English ones the wrong way.

Japanese, by far. Isshu sounds much better than Unova, and many of the character and Pokemon names sound much better in their Japanese in names.

How dare they butcher Mijumaru's cute name with Oshawott? Heathens!
    Reila likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast