What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

View Poll Results: What names do you prefer?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

31 65.96%
  • Japanese (translated)

16 34.04%
  • Other language

1 2.13%
  • I don't care.

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Default What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

What names do you prefer? The Japanese translated names, or the english names?

Like, say, Satoshi VS Ash, Isshu VS Unova.

I prefer some english (Hoenn), and I prefer some Japanese (Isshu).
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

Since my childhood I was used to english names and old habits die hard.
    (I also watch english dub, especially because english is not my mother language and I try to keep in contact with it as much as possible. Since I don´t have english lessons anymore I have often the feeling I´m forgeting it.)

However, by Mime Jr. I like japanese Manene more. Maybe because I really don´t like the Jr. (or Mr. at it´s evolution) in the name.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

It depends really, often, when the English names are revealed or leaked, I start using those names, unless I really don't like them, then I use the Japanese names instead, though I tend to adapt to the names I dislike later on.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Although the Japanese ones sound cooler, I'm more used to the English ones, so I've come to prefer them. Plus, I'm a sucker for puns.
    My official Black 2 team.

Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

Since I'm British, it's far more logical to learn the English names.

Blog Entries

Follow Herbizarre on Tumblr Visit Herbizarre's Youtube Channel

As a french person, I naturally prefer the french ones (Herbizarre is Ivysaur in french). But if I had to choose between english and japanese, then I'll go with the English ones, because I'm more familiar with those.
    I support : BiologyShipping, GodzillaShipping, GreatRocketShipping, RebelShipping, TransceiverShipping, Fox X Krystal, Leon S. Kennedy X Ada Wong, Leon X Lucy Liberty, FalSam, LGMShipping and Escavalier x Lilligant. This signature image is the perfect place to name all the ships I support without wasting space on the signature, mwa ha ha !
    Click here to view a fanfic of my crossover OTP : Beastman (F-Zero) and Mars (Pokémon).

Blog Entries

I swear there's been a topic like this before...but it's probably buried beneath tons of other old topics.

Well, with Pokemon, it's whatever name I learn first. So for Gen I-IV, I use the English names, but for Gen V, I use the Japanese names. For human characters, I prefer their Japanese names. But in general, for the sake of convenience, I use English names here on the forums.
    Shadows likes this.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Blog Entries

Depends. I tend to use the English names for pokémon (though sometimes I use the Japanese ones when that particular pokémon is a bit significant, or simply when I prefer its Japanese name), and the Japanese ones for human characters, especially the ones from the anime.

But I don't give much of a shit really. If the people in the conversation are using the Japanese names, then I will too; if they're using the English ones, same. I'll adapt.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I usually just use the English ones. But I like Pokabu and Mijumaru better than Tepig and Oshawott.

Blog Entries

I really prefer the Japanese names used for the franchise. For the anime forums, I use the Japanese names since I prefer the Japanese version of the series; for the video game forums, the English names.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

It really depends. I grew up with the English names and are very familiar with them mostly but when I joined internet forums I learned the japanese names as well. I do prefer some of them. Ive used the Gen 5's japanese name a lot, because Im used to them and followed the game from announcement to release. I prefer some peoples's names in japanese more( Shizui and Akuroma for examples, I dont like their english names). It depends on how familiar I am with them and preference for either one.

Blog Entries
    Follow RainbowSylveon On Twitter Add RainbowSylveon on Facebook
    Follow RainbowSylveon on Tumblr Visit RainbowSylveon's Youtube Channel

I like both the Japanese and English equally. For most people's convenience, though, I use the English names, since most people have no idea what I'm talking about when I refer to them by their Japanese names.
    Claims: Oshawott, Ice Body, Magmarizer, Griseous Orb (July 1, 2012) Cross Poison (September 26, 2012)

Tumblr | Twitter | Playthrough Blog

Fennekindle ==> RainbowSylveon

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

I generally like the English names more. However, there are a few characters/Pokémon where I prefer the Japanese (such as Akuroma). Eventually, though, I tend to give in and just use the English name.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Typhlosion IRL.

Visit Tyestor's Youtube Channel

English because English is my first language and I'm not a weeaboo. The only time I would ever use the Japanese names is if there was no English version yet (obviously) or I was discussing an episode of the anime I had watched in Japanese (because it was not in English yet, like the latter episodes of B/W) with other people who watched that episode in Japanese. If you're typing a post/speaking in English, use the English names. If you're typing a post/speaking in Japanese, use the Japanese names. People who say Japanese words while speaking English elsewhere annoy me greatly. i.e people (weebs) who say "You are a baka" instead of "You are an idiot". Same principal.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Most of the time I prefer the English names but from reading information about Black and White before it was released in Japan I can remember and sometimes prefer the Japanese names of Generation V introduced Pokémon such as "Chillarmy" and "Pokabu" for "Mincinno" and "Tepig".
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast