What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names? - Page 7

View Poll Results: What do you like better? The Japanese names or the English names?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

79 66.39%
  • Japanese

30 25.21%
  • Neither

10 8.40%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

Default Re: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

I live in America. I speak English. While i do occasionally watch some anime subbed, i do not speak Japanese (hence the need for the subtitles). I do not know any Japanese pokemon name off the top of my head, with the exception of ones that have the same name in both languages. Therefore, i prefer the english names for all of them.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

I strictly use Japanese names. I'm more in-touch with the Japanese parts of the franchise than the English ones, especially the anime and manga, although I do play the English games along with the Japanese ones. Even if I weren't, I'd still be using original names as with other foreign franchises that have localization changes. I'm against name changes, as there is always a possibility that complications will arise in the future (see: the "Glacier/Ice/Icicle/Freeze" Badges, Tales of Eternia and Tales of Destiny 2, etc), so I always stick to using the names that were originally intended.

One upside is that I don't stupidly refer to a female Barrierd as "Mr. Mime." A downside is that people who hear me verbally say "Mei" (Rosa in the English BW2) will think I'm talking about "Haruka" (May in the English RSE and anime), so I try to use a little bit of both offline so people will know what the hell I'm talking about.
    S.S. Shadow Minun and Te-em like this.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

I always using English names, but I enjoyed Japanese names too. Japanese Gen I Pokémon names are very weird (Eievui and Barrierd would be the best ones out of them), but this situation was addressed for Pokémon introduced from Gen III and onwards.

I like the english names better because I'm used to them.

English, because they're the ones which I learned first. And you can also understand the meanings.
    For the places i prefer Italian names, because they're more expressive to me.
    For the characters i like everything: Italian, English, Japanese...

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Spanish games have the same Pokémon names as English games, but everything else (attacks, characters, towns) are named different. I highly prefer to use the English names, given that I always get the English version. Regarding Japanese names: I'm not much of a japanophile as some of you are, but I must say that it can be useful to learn some Japanese names, specially if you are one of those who get their games directly from Japan, or if you just want to expand your knowledge.

Trophies

Some Japanese names sound better than their English counterparts (e.g. VERY GENERIC Freezer<Articuno, Thunder<Zapdos, Fire<Moltres). Some of the older Japanese names sound (Gen I) weird... Names of characters in Japanese sound more anime-tuned.

Blog Entries

I prefer using the English names most of the time but I have used Japanese and other languages, especially when it comes to the GTS. If I manage to rescue a French DW Golett, I'm going to say I rescued a Gringolem. If I get a shiny Japanese Golurk, then I was able to get a shiny Goloog. I try to use the name that is used in that Pokemon's originating country.

But as a general rule, I call my Sawk a Sawk and not Dageki; my Riser is a Golurk, not a Goloog.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

English, cuz I personally find it more memorable to say the English names than using the original Japanese names

Sableye claimed on May 3, 2013

Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

English names because that is what I am most familiar with. I hardly know much about any of the Japanese names.

English, because they're easier to pronounce and I am more used with that language as well.

Follow Chika on Tumblr

English for the most part, although I still use some of the Japanese names. Namely I go with Touya/Touko/Kyouhei/Mei over Hilbert/Hilda/Nate/Rosa.

... I was actually the person who leaked Hilbert's English name and I still can't get used to it.

Oh, and since I'm active in the Pokespe part of the fandom, I go with Green Oak and Blue as the girl.

"We understand ideals like love and dreams
    But reality in front of your eyes isn't so easy."

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

English, for most part. I also go with Japanese Pokémon names, but not human names. I prefer Japanese Pokémon names over human names. For example, Mijumaru over rubbish Touya/Touko (English Hilbert/Hilda sounds better than Japanese Touya/Touko to me). Gen I names are weird, with the exception of Eievui, so I go for Japanese names of later gen (especially Gen III onwards) of Pokémon.

English ones!

Blog Entries

Follow Herbizarre on Tumblr Visit Herbizarre's Youtube Channel

While I know most English names by heart, I still go with french names because I grew up with them (Reptincel for Charmeleon, Elektek for Electabuzz, Brutapode for Scolipede...). At least for the Pokémon themselves, because for characters that appears in the anime, I prefer to use the english names since I've stopped watching the anime for a while now (especially the BW anime's characters, like Trip or Georgia. I don't even know if they have french names to begin with).
    I support : BiologyShipping, GodzillaShipping, GreatRocketShipping, RebelShipping, TransceiverShipping, Fox X Krystal, Leon S. Kennedy X Ada Wong, Leon X Lucy Liberty, FalSam, LGMShipping and Escavalier x Lilligant. This signature image is the perfect place to name all the ships I support without wasting space on the signature, mwa ha ha !
    Click here to view a fanfic of my crossover OTP : Beastman (F-Zero) and Mars (Pokémon).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567