What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names? - Page 6

View Poll Results: What do you like better? The Japanese names or the English names?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

79 66.39%
  • Japanese

30 25.21%
  • Neither

10 8.40%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Default Re: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

Japanese names. I always like the original Japanese features best, because it feels like it's how the story's intended to go.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

English. As I do not speak Japanese, I can better understand the various puns and portmanteaus in the English names. Now, while there are a few exceptions, like Mikaruge/Spiritomb, I generally prefer English names. Also it's a bit awkward referring to Mandibuzz as "Vulgina".

is watching her own icon Magenta Fantasies's Avatar

Visit Magenta Fantasies's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Rose View Post
    English, but only because I'm a native english speaker, and the english names provide puns/origins for the Pokemon's names.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Likeitornot. View Post
    Depends, on if I can pronnounce it. Sometimes, I find the Japanese names easier to pronounce than the English ones, for example, it's quite easy to pronounce Dento, but Cilan? Though he's pronounced Sigh-lan, I've always called him Sil-i-an. Yes, my pronnouncation is awful for having English as a vernacular language. And yes, I do pronounce Cilantro that way too.
    I hate how the anime pronounces his name. I always thought it was pronounced "Sih-LAHN", as in "cilantro". Besides, even without the pun the anime pronounciation just sounds ugly. There's a few other pronounciations I really don't like either, such as Cianwood (they pronounced it as "See-ANN-wood" but I've always pronounced it as "Sai-ANN-wood" as in the color "cyan", which is where the name is inspired from.) I should make a topic for this...
    DeviantART: phoenixflaym
    Fanfictions: Obsessions Crystal Clear Gold Hearted Silver Lining
    Nimbasa Sunrise

Registered User ♥^_^cremep0ps^_^♥'s Avatar

It kind of depends. I love the both the english and japanese names like Habunake, Kojirō, or Shinx, but I hate the ones like Zuruggu, Druddigon, or Gonbe. plus, there are so many pokémon with japanese and english names that are the same (i.e. Lucario, Pachirisu, Pikachu, Munna, etc.).
    I also REALLY hate it when people only refer to people or pokémon by their japanese names. Its just really unnecessary and to me it doesn't make you seem more japanese to do that.
    "At noon on Wednesday, i'm gonna be leaving a watermelon-pineapple treasure inside of Liam Neeson. He's the one with the cooked fish allergies."
    ~Ron Paul

Blog Entries

Most of the time, English get's it right, but those times where they get it so wrong stick out to me (Oshawott and Colress *shudders*).

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

I'd like Japanese names, though I don't like referring Looker to as Handsome.

Blog Entries

If you asked me this question months ago I would have immediately answered that I preferred the Japanese names (actually, I voted for the Japanese names, but I did that some time ago), but now I don't really prefer either over the other. I prefer some Japanese names over their English counterparts, and some English names over their Japanese counterparts, but they're generally equal to me.

Of course, I use the English names more often, being someone who plays Pokémon in English, but frequency of usage and actual preference are not the same.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

most of the time i get really used to the japanese names, then when the english names come out i get a little mad because it means i'll have to relearn the names of most of the mons, with the exception of the major legendaries most of the time. i eventually get over it though because i realize that i'm an american native who knows no japanese at all and i eventually look forward to the english names being released because it means i'm going to feel less uncomfortable pronouncing these names!

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

When I joined the Internet fandom, Gen 5 was already out. I had no Japanese Pokemon Names to learn, as a result. Gen 6 worldwide release helps this more. YET, when the B2W2 English character names were released, I was a bit "Uh?".

I'm now completely confortable with Nate, Rosa, Hugh, Marlon and Colress. I still call Roxie Homika sometimes, it sounds better to me...

English names, hands down.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

English, because I'm used to those and know only a few of the Japanese :)

Registered User RemainsToLinger's Avatar

I prefer English really because...Well, it's my native tongue. No real reason more than that, and I can understand the meaning and puns better in the English versions of names.

Plus...Blacky is kinda...something...compared to Umbreon.
    Hmmm...Nope, I can't think of a think for a signature nor do I have any pictures I think would fit.

End transmission, please.

Follow Spiffee On Twitter
    Follow Spiffee on Tumblr

I speak English and grew up with the English names for Pokemon, so it's a lot easier for me to pronounce and understand them in English.

The only Japanese name I ever remember is Fushigidane.

That's the way it is Tepig in a BBQ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I do prefer to call the Pokémon by their English names, I do like the Japanese names better just because they sound so much cooler.

Blog Entries

Truth is, I just hate my lands name for the gang. It was getting worse and worse, not to mention the voices and that brought me first to subs. They can be difficult at times but they are better than what I crew up with.
    Pokémon lasts forever...

Fanfiction.net:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1962116/bladeofjudgement
    DeviantART: http://bladeofjudgement.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

The English names, although I do like some Japanese names, such as Metamon, Manene and Berobelt.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast