What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What do you like better? The Japanese names or the English names?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

79 66.39%
  • Japanese

30 25.21%
  • Neither

10 8.40%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you like better? The English names or the Japanese names?

I prefer English names since they're easier to remember and pronounce, and they just sound better to me. There's tons of awesome ones and tones of simple ones yet they just feel so right. Then there are some English names that sound stupid like Sawk or Throh, but I stick with them anyway cause they're much easier to remember and pronounce.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

English names, but it annoys me how many of the English names ruin the original intentions of the Pokemon names. Weavile, for example.

I love Japanese names more, yet I use English names. *sigh* I'm a hypocrite.
    In my opinion: Satoshi<Ash, Kasumi<Misty, Takeshi<Brock, Haruka<May... and so on, so forth, because I mostly chat about the characters not Pokemon. I think the Japanese Pokemon names are pretty good for the most part (except those Gen I names).

Avatar and signature made by Blue Dragon

English, but only because I'm a native english speaker, and the english names provide puns/origins for the Pokemon's names.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.

Its on a case by case basis for me however I prefer the Japanese names over English ones as stated before some dubbed English names are terrible (Sawk and Throh) and I prefer original meaning to the names.

powered by the sun farewell, friend's Avatar

Follow farewell, friend on Tumblr

That depends on whether we're talking about the anime or the video games. In the anime, I have no real preference. English, Japanese- it doesn't matter. In the video games, though, I much prefer the English names. They're just better. /opinion
    I'm the essence of
    daydreamer. time-waster. black and white painter.
    in an upside-down world.
    eyes closed. dreams unfold. ascending realities; open to me.

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

I use both when it comes to Gen V, because Gen V is the only one I've followed since its Japanese announcement, but it depends on what I'm discussing. With the games, I prefer English names because I played the English version. When it comes to the anime, I use Japanese names when discussing a Japanese episode, and English names when I'm referencing the dub.

When it comes to what I like better, it's on a case-by-case basis. I like "Vaporeon" better than "Showers," and "Klink" better than "Giaru." But I like "Washibon" better than "Rufflet."

Blog Entries

Follow gryffindor1991 on Tumblr

I love the Japanese names, but I prefer to use the English names because they are easier for me to remember. theres only a few Japanese ones that I can remember right now like Tsutarja and Mijumaru and Pokabu and a few others. Some of the Gen V ones are the only ones I know because I followed the announcements of it and everything. I do have a goal to try to learn the Japanese names of the Pokemon though, eventually.
    3ds FC: 3454-1523-2870
    Pokemon X ign: Joe
    Dark friend safari

Blog Entries
    Follow *Jirachi* On Twitter
    Follow *Jirachi* on Tumblr Visit *Jirachi*'s Youtube Channel

I use mostly English names, since they are the ones I'm using in general. However I like Japanese names too, and can also remember them. For the pronouncing part, Japanese is actually easier for us, since Finnish is way closer to Japanese than English pronouncing. I usually get to use Japanese names only with my Japanese friends [especially when talking with Junichi Masuda, I enjoy using Japanese names, haha : D] But I can't say which ones are better. I must still say however that I remember some GenV names better in Japanese.

Blog Entries

Follow Herbizarre on Tumblr Visit Herbizarre's Youtube Channel

French names ! I don't care one bit if this isn't a choice XD
    I support : BiologyShipping, GodzillaShipping, GreatRocketShipping, RebelShipping, TransceiverShipping, Fox X Krystal, Leon S. Kennedy X Ada Wong, Leon X Lucy Liberty, FalSam, LGMShipping and Escavalier x Lilligant. This signature image is the perfect place to name all the ships I support without wasting space on the signature, mwa ha ha !
    Click here to view a fanfic of my crossover OTP : Beastman (F-Zero) and Mars (Pokémon).

Blog Entries

I prefer the English names because I'm not a hipster because they're ENGLISH, which is the language I speak, and what most people speak on this forum. I think after the English names are announced, everybody (that speaks English) should stop using the Japanese names.
    MonkeyBoy210 likes this.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

Japanese ones mainly because each has a meaning to it's name that doesn't always carry over to English.
    Reila likes this.

Blog Entries

I prefer to use the english ones, because people recognize it better.
    But the japanese ones are by far better and I like them more.

To be honest, guess I'll begin to use the Japanese ones.
    I'm not a native english speaker, so I have no reasons to use the english names.

Also, japanese language sounds better than english.

English ones for me. They're easier to understand and I don't like a lot of the Japanese ones like Thunder or Fire.

What really annoys me is when people use English for one Gen and Japanese for another. At least be consistent.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

English names for the characters because usually there's some sort of pun involved (Brock is rock, Misty is mist, Cilan is cilantro). The Japanese names may have this too, but I don't know Japanese so any puns that they do have don't make any sense to me.
    As for the individual Pokémon, I usually prefer the English names for the same reason... but what I don't like is how a lot of the names, when written in English, do not give any indication on how to pronounce it. Especially when they use a "c". Like, "Celebi" looks like it could be pronounced "Selebi" or "Kelebi" (I always knew it was "Selebi" though because I was familiar with the Japanese name), "Arceus" looks like it could be pronounced as "Arseus" or "Arkeus" (I've always pronounced it "Arkeus"... which is the official pronunciation but no one seems to say it that way). When the name is written in Japanese, there's only one way to read it so you always know that you're saying it right.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast