What did the GS Ball contain in Crystal?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did the GS Ball contain in Crystal?

Default What did the GS Ball contain in Crystal?

First, I'll start by saying that this topic is not about the anime. I'm aware that the GS Ball was dropped from the story because the writers wanted to fit Celebi into Movie 4 (although that doesn't explain why the GS Ball couldn't be carried over as well). While it is true that Masamitsu Hidaka confirmed that the ball was supposed to contain Celebi, that doesn't tell us much about the in-game event where Celebi did not come out of the ball. It's the same deal as Mewtwo being related to Team Rocket in the anime, but not in the games.

Those of you who have never watched the GS Ball sequence can do so here. In summary, the event took place after the the 16 badges had been collected, so the player had presumably even defeated Red by then. Kurt never got a chance to investigate the GS Ball since it started to shake while he was checking it. Following this, the Ilex Forest became restless, and this is what made the player aware that the GS Ball could be fit into the shrine. Then Celebi descended from the sky, and after the player either caught or defeated it, they failed to retrieve the GS Ball. What just happened there?

As I see it, Celebi did not want to see the GS Ball opened, so it distracted Kurt and the player; the only reason it appeared before the player was to make the GS Ball go through time so that no one would have access to it. This is quite feasible when you realize that in HGSS, Celebi encounters the player so as to complete the time loop whereby Ethan/Lyra prevents Giovanni from reuniting with Team Rocket. Clearly, Celebi is invested in the world around it and doesn't just go about its day guarding forests.

Now, whether or not the GS Ball is no longer canon on account of being replaced by the Giovanni event is immaterial. If you'd like, you can consider it as part of a parallel universe where Kris' journey took place; it is still interesting to consider what Game Freak had in mind ten years ago. What would have happened had the GS Ball been opened? What did it contain? One possibility is that it did contain Celebi from a future time period, and the one that showed up was upset by the realization that it would one day be trapped in a ball. Perhaps it did want to see the GS Ball opened and didn't think that Kurt could pull that off, so it sent the item forward in time.

But if true, the above theory would simply mean that Celebi was looking out for itself. Again, the Giovanni event essentially establishes Celebi as the only Pokémon other than the Lake trio that went out of its way to prevent a nefarious plan; Rayquaza merely reacted to seeing May/Brendan, and Giratina was protecting its own world. In light of this, I'd like to think that the Ilex Forest becoming restless was a symptom of Celebi being genuinely worried about something greater than itself. So what sort of danger could have surrounded the GS Ball? Hidenori Kusaka, the writer of Pokémon Special, interpreted it as someone (Pryce) gaining control of Celebi in order to go back through time; this was dangerous to everyone else because the void of time freezed everything near it. Obviously, Pryce was not designed to be a villain in the games, and the GS Ball wasn't created by Kurt, either. But it is possible that Kusaka had the right idea about the stakes involved. Could Celebi have been afraid of the Pokémon inside the ball?

Game Freak only expanded Pokémon-related stories from previous generations on three occasions: 1) Confirming that Mr. Fuji took Mew from Faraway Island, 2) giving the Regis a master said to have created them, and 3) linking Arceus to the Unown and thereby implying that the latter had a role in the creation of the Pokémon universe. Now, this also happened with Celebi in regard to the Spiky-eared Pichu and Giovanni events, but those events didn't reveal anything about Celebi itself that could help us understand the GS Ball. Plainly put, the GS Ball ended up being dropped from the games, too. Considering how late Celebi was distributed in Generation IV, it might just have been a matter of time constraints. It's certainly not unthinkable that Generation IV would have included another event Pokémon for an enhanced GS Ball event if Black and White hadn't been around the corner to introduce Victiny right off the bat.
    Last edited by Silktree; 20th November 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What did the GS Ball contain in Crystal?

Probably some cosmic horror that today's humans are not supposed to find out about. Some demi-god that Celebi itself fears.

Before I knew the details of the GS Ball event, I thought we were supposed to catche Celebi with the GS Ball. Makes sense I suppose.

Maybe the ball contained a future Pokemon Legendary. Or it could have contained a corrupted form of Arceus, I don't know.

I always thought that Celebi was supposed to be inside the GS Ball

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mabey its the pokemon that made every thing inculding arcuse or chuck norris.

Blog Entries

I think that's an interesting theory: where Celebi doesn't want to meet with him/her own self from the GS Ball. I also thought that the GS Ball has Celebi, by the way.

However, your second half of your theory seems to imply that the GS Ball contained something else (which partially convinced me). But I think I would rather leave it as it is for now, because the answer will probably be revealed in the future (maybe a Crystal remake, if there will be one).

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

It's obvious the GS ball contains misingno.!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nidogod View Post
    It's obvious the GS ball contains misingno.!
    Well played, sir. Well played.

I think that the GS ball was supposed to attract Celebi. Like some sort of fateful encounter.

I mean, HG/SS made you out to be the 'Chosen One' to bring back Lugia/Ho-oh, so why not Celebi and Crystal?

Blog Entries

I dont know, but I'm hoping for a huge story behind it in a Pokemon game. Now that would be fun.

I used to think the GS ball contained Professor Oak.

When I was 4.

When I gained some logic, I thought it contained the most ultimate pokemon in the universe.

When I was 6

I still think that.

Stay. Away. From. My. Cookie.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

At first, I thought it just a item you just get to obtain Celebi. Of course, I no longer believe that.
    I really like your theory, Silktree. The GS ball could of have a all powerful pokemon, that could of destoryed all of the world. Such pokemon Celebi knew of. I really wish they expanded on the GS ball. I would say on a Cyrstal remake, but our chances on such is unlikely. GamFreak has to many plot holes and mysterys to expand.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

You could tie several of these theories together and say it's a future Celebi's evolution which turns out to be more powerful than Arceus, purely evil and tyrannical and was caught in the GS Ball, and Celebi has been to the future where that happened, so wants to prevent it from happening.
    And for you ontological paradox fans, maybe its efforts in preventing that future are the sole cause of that future happening? Who knows but GF?!
    Yeah, I write dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest.
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.
    I'm also looking for voice actors for Project LILAC. Find out more here.

Lick...Lick...Lick :P ShinyRiolu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it IS the ultimate pokemon, then it would most likely be revealed in Pokemon's LAST generation. Which will be Gen...

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    I think that the GS ball was supposed to attract Celebi. Like some sort of fateful encounter.

I mean, HG/SS made you out to be the 'Chosen One' to bring back Lugia/Ho-oh, so why not Celebi and Crystal?
    We have a fairly good idea why the Clear and Tidal Bells have the effects they do, though. Ho-Oh and Lugia (especially the former) long to see the trust between Pokémon and humans mended; the Kimono Girls' ritual is a token of appreciation that is meant to show that Ho-Oh and Lugia's dream is shared by at least a few people.

In contrast, what exactly does the GS Ball symbolize? Neither Kurt nor the Ilex Forest girl had any idea what was going on. The forest became restless; something ominous was going on. Bear in mind that key items are almost never dispensed despite having a one-time use, and yet the GS Ball was an exception in that it just disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein
    I think that's an interesting theory: where Celebi doesn't want to meet with him/her own self from the GS Ball.
    Celebi didn't have to show up, so I don't find that to be a feasible interpretation. What I suggested was that Celebi might have wanted to send the GS Ball to a future time period where the technology would be available to unlock the elusive item. But after seeing the second Ilex Forest event in HGSS, I don't think that Celebi would have been too concerned with the GS Ball if it had been the Pokémon inside it; after all, I'd imagine that Celebi has come to accept that it won't exist forever.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail
    I really wish they expanded on the GS ball. I would say on a Cyrstal remake, but our chances on such is unlikely. GamFreak has to many plot holes and mysterys to expand.
    Game Freak wouldn't have to remake the Johto games again just to revisit the GS Ball or any other mystery from those games. Think of Arceus and the Sinjoh Ruins and how they were linked to the Unown and Ruins of Alph. Did Gold and Silver have to be remade for that connection to surface? Not really; the Unown appeared in Sinnoh regardless of the remakes, and if it hadn't been for HGSS I'd imagine that the Sinjoh Ruins event would have been added to Platinum instead.

Granted, the Unown are still a greater enigma than the GS Ball is. But eventually, these exotic old Pokémon will be made available in new games again, and with that new opportunities will arise. Black and White have little ties to past generations, but so did Ruby and Sapphire and yet other games came after them which changed that.
    Last edited by Silktree; 24th November 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Whatever it is, Celebi must have felt that it was important enough to appear to you when you had it.

That being said, it's probably something evil.

Rollin into fandoms woops Quacks the Automaton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Quacks the Automaton on Tumblr

Back when I saw the gs ball in a book, I thought it was used to catch ho-oh/lugia, then a year later, I thought it contained the birds missing partner, and I still believe this, but after reading that celebii didn't want it in the forest, it must of been their evil partner

→ ▫ ←
    "Hello, RABBITS" --EverymanHybrid--

Moose Doodles-"Come in for free eye band-aids today!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast