What combination of Starter Pokemon would make a great team?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What combination of Starter Pokemon would make a great team?

Blog Entries

Question What combination of Starter Pokemon would make a great team?

Venusaur
    Chariard
    Blastoise
    Meganuim
    Typhlosion
    Feraligatr
    Sceptile
    Blaziken
    Swampert
    Torterra
    Infernape
    Empoleon

Out of these 12 (Fully-Evolved) Starter Pokemon, which 3 Starters make a great team?

Please give VALID reasons.
    Saying "Because da (insert region name here) Starters rok!!!" (or anyting similar) is not a valid reason.
    Last edited by Frimelda Lotice; 26th November 2008 at 09:39 AM.

Credit goes to knight22, a deviantART user.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Feraligatr's got a good amount of types it can use, and it's Physical-based, so it can kick ass with Earthquake. Crunch isn't too bad either, and like most, it can learn Rock Slide. Plus there's Ice Fang so with that you're set.

Blaziken's good, too, you could give it several moves of different types as well, such as ThunderPunch (requires Emerald and a ton of BP, but works great against two of its weaknesses) and Shadow Claw... You could also have Flamethrower (unless you're only EVing its Attack) since its Sp.A. is only 10 lower, as well as Sky Uppercut, which is perfect against a Flying-type in the air.

For a third Pokémon, I'd go with Venusaur, since it has two types... but eh, it's Poison. It gets STAB with Sludge Bomb, which is always good, unfortunately its moveset isn't so wide on the Special side, so... eh. Could go with Giga Drain and Substitute, so as to restore HP lost by making one while doing damage, but it's not too good against anything not that weak to Grass.

Ultimately, it's your choice. The starters are mostly Physical Pokémon, or else they're Special Pokémon whose moveset sucks on that side of the coin. Either way, get the ones you like best.

my sweet lord... Swampert tamer's Avatar

I would go with the starters I've always choosed from the following regions...

- Venusaur (Kanto)
    - Thyphlosion (Johto)
    - Swampert (Hoenn)

Intresting is that they are from different types, but are also my favorite starters from those three diferent regions...

Blaziken is better then Swamper but Infernape and Blaziken are fimiliar.Infernape is probably the best 4gen starter but Charizard Pwnz it.Venausaur kills grotle but Grottle is better then Sceptile and Blastoise is better than Sceptile but Sceptile is...well if you ask me Sceptile is the wors starter.Uhh for a team:Charizard,Feraliagtor,Venausaur or Grotle but I would chose Vena.Empeleon,Blastoise,Blaziken or Swampert.

Hope that helped.

Pokemon Diamond: MasterT, 1719-2953-0146
    Pokemon Battle Revolution:
    MasterT, 0688 5263 4177
    My Wii code:
    8232 9753 4371 6934
    don't click here

Please, feel free to PM me for battle/trade on Pokemon Diamond or PBR, to play Brawl or Mario Strikers matches, to dive in Endless Ocean or to chat on Wii message board!mastertoshima@hotmail.com

my sweet lord... Swampert tamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterToshima View Post
    Blaziken is better then Swamper
    *WHAT? No way. Do you know what your saying? In a battle against my Swampert any Blaziken recieves a very serious treatment, Swampert is way better than Blaziken in almost every aspect...*

Just kidding, but how can you say that a pokemon is better than another if they aren't even from the same type?
    Since everyone these days has one of these, I'm going to put mine too...

On a funny note, I made this personality test on 3 different ocasions and the pokemon I got every single time was Togetic so this can't be very wrong...

Yeah, I feel that Swampert is much better than Blaziken. Blaziken has eh defenses and only decent speed. Both its attacks are good, but they don't count for much if it gets swept off the field. Swampert has all-around good defenses and only one weakness, allowing it to tank well. Although I will admit that Blaziken has access to a much better moveset.

For me:

-Charizard. Only REAL trainers use Charizard. *Sticks out tongue at Venusaur and Blastoise users*

-Feraligtr. I hate it, but the first two evos are my favorite pokemon, so, meh.

-Swampert. Like others here, I agree that it definatly stands out in the crowd. One of the best final starter evos ever.

-Empoleon. Opposite of Feraligtr. Piplup and Prinplup suck in every single way, shap, and form, but Empoleon is ownage.

Water is my favorite type, if you havn't noticed already. I sometimes use fire starters, but grass starters never appealed to me

Blog Entries

For a team of six, I would use:

Charizard: He would be a great flyer, and some dragon moves along with fire would do nicely

Blaziken: Flare Blizt, Close Combat, AND Brave Bird. Great for a 1-hit knockout, especially with a choice band

Swampert: Immunity to electric is awesome for a water, and being able to to use Earthquake and Ice Beam is nice as well. Surf would make him even nice to use for travel

Empoleon: Empoleon could be used for your steel moves, or a special wall. Stealth rock is a nice touch

Sceptile: He could be a great annoyer pokemon with leech seed, substitute, and other stalling moves. Speed is a nice touch

Venasaur: Poison type is a great way to loose a weakness. Mak him your pokemon for grass moves with Solarbeam or Frenzy Plant

EDIT: for a team of three, use Charizard, Swampert, and Sceptile above, but add Leaf Blade to Sceptile for a grass move

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

To join in the fun, I claim Kokoromori :) 11-23-10

Charizard
    Feraligatr
    Torterra

Charizard can take out fighting pokemon as well as grass, ice, steel and bug. With its abillity to learn strong dragon moves like Dragon Claw and Pulse, can take many dragon types. Might have to look out for Dragonite with its Aqua Tail attack.

Feraligatr is an awesome water Pokemon that can learn Crunch to take out ghost and pshychic Pokemon. Its ice fang can also help take out Dragon types with Charizard. And any water moves take out ground, rock, fire and helps on steel types.

Torterra might be slow but has got advantages. It ground type and Earthquake helps take out those electric Pokemon and its uneffected by their attacks. The Grass moves help with the grond, rock, and the water pokemon. Torterra can also get rid of the some fire Pokemon too with maybe a lil help from the item quick claw.

So that would be my team and why.

Nothing of interest here Perxio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSC Junkie View Post
    For me:

-Charizard. Only REAL trainers use Charizard. *Sticks out tongue at Venusaur and Blastoise users*

-Feraligtr. I hate it, but the first two evos are my favorite pokemon, so, meh.

-Swampert. Like others here, I agree that it definatly stands out in the crowd. One of the best final starter evos ever.

-Empoleon. Opposite of Feraligtr. Piplup and Prinplup suck in every single way, shap, and form, but Empoleon is ownage.

Water is my favorite type, if you havn't noticed already. I sometimes use fire starters, but grass starters never appealed to me

Jesus, did you read the post?

VALID reasons.

I'll break it down:

"Out of these 12 (Fully-Evolved) Starter Pokemon, which 3 Starters make a great team?"

First bold: great team, in this case, is apparently referring to the best to battle with. As the OPer said in the second bold:

"Please give VALID reasons."

Valid. Reasons.

"Saying "Because da (insert region name here) Starters rok!!!" (or anyting similar) is not a valid reason."

The underlined refers to your "reasons", being 'oh what I personally like, what type I used the most', which is similar to the 'cuz [starter] rox!!!' that leon25270 requested to avoid in the answers.

Now, I'd answer, but I'm just looking for those, because I know little to nothing except basics, despite practically being a junkie for the game, just ever since I saw the "EV IV SWEEPER BATONPASSER BKDA" technical stuff, it's killed my interest in battling. But I'm curious myself, I love the starters. I want good answers.

discontented with winter VibuzeSG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd probably use...

Infernape
    Sceptile
    Swampert

Um...reasons?

Well, Infernape has really good stats, especially Speed, and a pretty good Movepool to boot.

As for Sceptile, it's really the only Grass-starter I can tolerate. The others are just too slow. I used Torterra a while back, but it can't survive Ice for anything.

Swampert is good, because it's a bit more defensive than the other two, while still maintaining good offense. STAB'd Earthquake plus an ice move (Avalanche, probably) would hit just about anything for a good amount of damage.

Yawn.
    Blog Entries

Charizard-Its flying type gives it something unique from in the other fire starters in that it is immune to ground.(Just ignore the 4x weakness to rck)
    Typhlosion- It can learn a variety of attacks which can hurt pokemon that it is weak against(Thunderpunch for water types and Earthquake for rock types)
    Torterra- just like Typhlosion it can cover all of its weaknesses(Earthquake will take care of fire types while if it has Stone Edge it can take care of Bug, Fire, Ice and Flying types) and it hs great attack power and defense.

Note:My favoritism had no part in there(except for Charizard maybe). If it did Sceptile would have been there.

For me...

Feraligatr - talking from experiance, he works well, especially with a D-dance/Ice punch moveset, coupled with Waterfall and EQ. Feraligatr has good defences, allowing it to survive a major hit or a few smaller ones and use a few Dragon Dancers. Then it's basically faster then anything and hits hard with a nice physical attack stat, with some good coverage with his moves. Waterfall in particular is good - a chance for flinch if something survives, and if Feraligatr has low HP it gets a further 1.5 boost from Torrent. 80 Base power x 1.5 STAB x 1.5 Torrent = 180 power move, couple that with a Dragon Dance or two... If not Feraligatr for a water type, I'd say Swampert.
    Blastoise is mostly overly defensive and relies on a Counter/Mirror Coat tactic, which isn't the best and requires some good prediction. Empoleon has a few too many weaknesses to properly wall I feel and not fast enough to sweep.

For the grass type, I'd say... Sceptile, for the Sub-seed moveset (or even as a nice surprise, an Endeavor there as well...). Fast and can go for a sweeping moveset as well. Venasaur/Meganium do make for nice walls though... but little much else. Torterra + 4x Ice weakness = not good.

Fire type - probably Infernape, due to its sheer speed and attack stats, and the diversity it has in movesets - Nasty-ploting, Physical attacking, mixed sweeper... minor element of surprise can be used.
    Blaziken not as he is slightly worse in stats - Infernape can do what he does better (but Infernape does look worse... :/ ), Typhosion is decent as a special sweeper, especially by opening with Eruption (at Full health - 225 Power with Stab), and Charizard has too many weaknesses and the 4x ock weakness really hurts it.

That's my two cents. :)

Banner By Sammi of Sppf
    A funnier version of the Pokemon Colosseum game, that also explains the 'unexplained'.
    Ever wondered WHY Wes blew up Team Snagem's base?
    Or what's with Miror B's hair?

Reposted - Prologue Up

Credit to Saffire Persian for the banner. Tragedy one-shot story.

Yawn.
    Blog Entries

^You raise a good point there about Feraligatr, bobandbill. I forgot that it can cover its weakness of Grass and Electric with Ice Punch and Earthquake.
    Meh, on the other hand I really don't care about 4x weaknesses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast