The weird thing about gyarados.......

View Poll Results: Should gyarados's flying type be replaced with a dragon type?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 48.15%
  • No

14 51.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The weird thing about gyarados.......

Darkrai is unstoppable!!! Shadowlord XD's Avatar
    Add Shadowlord XD on Facebook
    Visit Shadowlord XD's Youtube Channel

Default The weird thing about gyarados.......

The first time i seen gyarados,i thought it was a water/dragon type pokemon, so i was not worried when trying to catch it with my pikachu. So my pikachu used thunder shock and i was mindblown! gyarados fainted!!!! so after i caught another one with a different pokemon, i checked its type, and to my misbelief, gyarados is water/flying!

So did anyone of u ever thought that gyarados was water/dragon? Actually, why was gyarados water/flying? i don't think i have seen one flew before in the anime nor the manga. In the video game, i don't think gyarados learned any flying type moves at all! It can't even learn fly!(plus, a gyarados flying a trainer across the region seems much more logical than a pidgey doing that....) In fact, gyarados does learn some great dragon type moves, like dragon rage or dragonbreath.

So the question is, do u think gyarados's flying type should be replaced with a dragon type?
    Last edited by Shadowlord XD; 11th January 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Default re: The weird thing about gyarados.......

Think of it this way. Gyarados is primarily a Water type with aspects of flying.
    Gyarados has been shown to fly once or twice but since it's Flying type is more of a Modifier rather then a Characterizing aspect, it doesn't use flying type moves.

If you study the origin of Gyarados, it's based on a Myth about Carp who can transcend their simple existence and become dragons.
    For Magikarp, they can't evolve fully into a Dragon-type so the closest they can get is Flying. So, they're Fish with Dreams of becoming Dragons but can't quite make the full Transformation.

Back in the old days of Pokemon, Water/Dragon would have been broken. No Weakness (Unless Dragon Rage Counts.), coupled with high Attack, above average Special, and decent Speed would make Gyarados, Ubers. Now days Gyarados only has high Attack, decent speed, and above average Sp. Def, so it would not be a problem. I believe however, Gyarados should become Water/Dragon akin to how the Metal type was added to Magneton. Besides, isn't the only Flying move it could learn Bounce?

Quote Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
    Besides, isn't the only Flying move it could learn Bounce?
    Yeah but that fits with the Lore behind it's Transformation. Only a carp who could make a "Flying Leap" out of the water high enough to make it over the Dragon's Gate could "evolve."

It also accounts for it's Flying type. Magikarp has to learn to "fly" (breach the Surface) to evolve.

I don't think they should Recon Gyarados to Water/Dragon. What they could do is introduce a "Dragon-form" for Gyarados (kind of like Meloetta) that changes it's Flying type to Dragon for a short time.

Yeah but that fits with the Lore behind it's Transformation. Only a carp who could make a "Flying Leap" out of the water high enough to make it over the Dragon's Gate could "evolve."
    If my memory serves me right, that's chinese mythology, right? Anyway, i think it is a good idea if gamefreak could do that.

Creddit goes to Blue Dragon for this awesome sig. Request your own at http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f379/blue-dragons-art-shop-122227/

Blog Entries

Default Re: The weird thing about gyarados.......

I don't see a single problem with Gyarados being Water/Flying.
    The typing fits perfectly with the origin of this specific species, so I think Gyardos fine the way it is.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I think Gyarados should be shown flying in Anime.
    Like the manga did !

Personally I'd have it as a pure water.

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Charizard, Gyarados, if its primary type resisted Ice yet the Pokemon was of draconic basis, in Gen 1, it was made a Flying type rather than a Dragon type. Seriously, how is Kingdra a dragon but Gyarados isn't?

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

how are they going to change its type now ? people have asked this for years that ship has sailed long ago. Gyarados can fly it does it when you use them in battle revolution, the anime as sort of kinda shown them flying when jumping out of the water for long periods, i think the reason it learns no flying moves is becasue the vast majority require wings of some kind to pull them off.

Blog Entries

Yeah, Dragon was even more OP back in the '90s (second to Psychic), which is why Gyarados and Charizard are flying instead.

And since they've kept those types for 17 years, why change them now?

play later - sleep now! Playful_Weasel's Avatar
    Add Playful_Weasel on Facebook Add Playful_Weasel on Google+
    Visit Playful_Weasel's Youtube Channel

Wow, flying? i just learning something new, I always thought Gyarados was only water type. It definitively should be water/dragon, I don't see any flying characteristics.
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
    - 4871-3995-3493
    Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
    I have many teams in Kalos - my original team will always be:
    Original Y Team - IGN Maria: Delphox - Mienshao - Watchog - Lucario - Sylveon - Vaporeon

Gyarados can fly it does it when you use them in battle revolution, the anime as sort of kinda shown them flying when jumping out of the water for long periods
    The thing is even though a pokemon can fly, it doesn't mean it is flying type. for example flygon. it is a dragon that can fly but still the progammers choose it to be dragon/ground. even weirder, ilumise and volbeat can fly but its not flying type despite it can have one more type

Creddit goes to Blue Dragon for this awesome sig. Request your own at http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f379/blue-dragons-art-shop-122227/

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I can see reasons for it to be both Water/Dragon and Water/Flying, but Gyarados is hardly alone in having other possible type combinations. Retyping is a slippery slope, and without the introduction of a new type, one that's hard to justify so far into the series.
    Green Zubat and Owain like this.

I would love this to happen, 'cause it would make Gyarados an even better Pokémon, but yeah. It's not going to happen now. The only thing that bothers me about it (although it is a pretty big thing) is the double-weakness to Electric-type moves. Other than that, I don't mind it being Flying-type too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast