Wailord: As dense as air?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonah

Thread: Wailord: As dense as air?

Default Wailord: As dense as air?

Hello! I'm new here and although this is my first post, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with something weird to start. Here goes!

So I noticed that Wailord is really light considering its size. In fact, it is less than one sixth the weight of a real blue whale's tongue! I got curious, and decided to calculate Wailord's density. I had to make some geometrical approximations, so I assumed that Wailord's height and width were both about 2/5 of it's length. I then approximated its shape as a cylinder with half of a sphere on each end. Anyway, long story short, I calculated its volume as 332 cubic meters, and therefore, its density was about 1.2kg/cubic meter.

The funny thing is, that is the same density as air (at sea level and 20 degrees centigrade) according to Wikipedia!

Does anyone have suggestions as to a better approximation of Wailord's size or better yet, the volume to length ratio from Colosseum? I want to get more accurate on this now and find out for sure whether or not Wailord is less dense than air. If it is, it'd be awesome! Like a big whale blimp. XD

Maybe this is why it floats in Colloseum. *laughs then stops when no one else laughs*

That's what I was thinking of when I saw the topic.

THAT IS CRAZY!!!!!11eleven! especially the fact that he is the biggest existing pokemon. you would imagine he weighs a couple thousand pounds....

[HSOWA]That's so it doesn't crush the poor Skittys.[/HSOWA]
    13rett likes this.
    My Pokemon favorites:
    IMO, Dialga is the coolest Pokemon, and Mew is the cutest. My favorite human characters are Brendan, May, and Marina (From Battle Revolution). I also like Rui, Cynthia, and Dawn. I like games, PokeSpecial manga, and shipping. I support HoennShipping, ColosseumShipping, RangerShipping, SpecialShipping and a whole lot of others. I have named over 130 ships.

Ya Rly.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

What's more ridiculous is the fact that a 29-foot rock snake is only 463 pounds.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

...Now you made me calculate the density of Onix...

Approximating Onix as a cylinder with a length of 8.8m and a radius of .5m, I get a density of 30.4 kg/m^3, which is low, but not that bad compared to Wailord.

I think Pokemon in general are really under-dense, considering that water's density is 1000 kg/m^3.

Also, I'm surprised that it took four whole posts before anyone mentioned Skitty. :p
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.