For Us 90's Kids - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For Us 90's Kids

Default Re: For Us 90's Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandre View Post
    The thing to realize about the way the anime has changed is that it's no longer aimed at us (the original generation of trainers), and is intended to last in the long term now. From what I understand, when it started nobody knew what a phenomenon Pokemon would grow to be or that there'd even be further generations of games, and they had no idea how long it would go on for... meaning they had made the anime to be a self contained, one season series with its own plot and character development arcs (I've also read that the original movie was intended to end the series, until they had the order to continue it from Nintendo).

This didn't happen because it continued to make money, and you don't end things that make money. The show isn't meant to be building and progressing, that would mean it would have to end at some point and it's too profitable for that. The show is meant to tie in with each generation and start with the mindset of the kids just starting their first Pokemon games (which is why Ash gets 'stupid' and 'weak' and swaps Pokemon each time a new season starts) and to follow the journey the kids themselves are taking in each new region. Each time a new generation starts, it's the same story, the same pattern. Does it make it boring for people who have watched since day one and want to see development? Yes, but they aren't trying to market this series at people in their 20s, and kids that start with each new series seriously enjoy the series for what they are and don't realize how the show hasn't progressed any with the previous series they never watched. It's meant for kids the age we were when we first got into Pokemon, and it's continuously aimed at that age group. Kids in that age group fall in love with the show each time it 'resets' just like we did when WE (and the show) first started, which really isn't a bad thing.

So that's what you're feeling. The show started out with no pattern or pre-conceived notions, letting the writers do their own things and create a somewhat original plot with planned character development, conclusions, etc. It felt like it was going somewhere because it was, and because they likely intended there to be an ending they were building towards. Now the show follows a simple pattern to reboot itself for each new set of players and lacks coherency and advancement between seasons... that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just a much different approach. Would I have liked to see the show actually end earlier on and have some resolution instead of being stretched so thin? Yes, but I want more for the series to continue to be profitable to give us new games like X and Y (and to be just as enjoyable/accessible for each new generation of fans), and this approach is clearly working on those fronts. They haven't forgotten their original fanbase or we wouldn't have things like Origins and the Mega Evolutions... they're just not aiming the main show at us because the vast majority of us older fans don't get up on Saturdays for cartoons anymore anyway.

What's wrong with doing what DBZ kinda did? Give Ash a conclusion after Johto and then start a new serious with May as the new leading character? They can still mention past characters.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unlike most people, I don't want Ash to go (I didn't want Brock and Misty to go either), but I just want them to be handled better, and the anime to have some decency again. I liked Team Rocket in BW, and they were the worst DP characters! They can handle Ash, Misty and Brock well once again if they write them right..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThePalletTownKid View Post

What's wrong with doing what DBZ kinda did? Give Ash a conclusion after Johto and then start a new serious with May as the new leading character? They can still mention past characters.
    Hey, I wish they had done that, too. That's pretty much the approach Adventures took, after all, and it worked incredibly well there. Sadly, they seem to be addicted to using Ash, and see every other character as a disposable one-season addition. If I had to guess, they simply kept using Ash/Misty/Brock because they still didn't know how long the series would continue, and kept Ash in the long run as an attempt to retain viewership through familiarity. Honestly I think almost everyone wishes they had just given Ash an actual ending and then kept going in a different way, but it's pretty clear now that's not going to happen.

Brock (like Team Rocket) was pretty terrible as a character in DP as well, but I felt he was a lot better in the special he had with Cilan, so I'd like to see him back as well one day if they handle him decently like they did there.

If they plan on handling Ash and Team Rocket like the way they are now in XY, then no, I don't want anyone back.

I'd honestly prefer the writers starting things over again fresh: without Ash and Team Rocket. This is only because I'd rather see the older characters go out with some degree of dignity, as opposed to being flanderized mercilessly the way they have been in the last few arcs of the anime.

Hey, I wish they had done that, too. That's pretty much the approach Adventures took, after all, and it worked incredibly well there. Sadly, they seem to be addicted to using Ash, and see every other character as a disposable one-season addition. If I had to guess, they simply kept using Ash/Misty/Brock because they still didn't know how long the series would continue, and kept Ash in the long run as an attempt to retain viewership through familiarity. Honestly I think almost everyone wishes they had just given Ash an actual ending and then kept going in a different way, but it's pretty clear now that's not going to happen.
    And would it be the worst thing in the world to have Ash and at around 13 to 15 years old?

And would it be the worst thing in the world to have Ash and at around 13 to 15 years old?
    Seriously, he was 11 at one point, but then BW001 made him 10 again. Great....just great....-_-.

I think having him at around 13-15 is just young enough to connect with young kids and for us Adults to stay interested.

I think having him at around 13-15 is just young enough to connect with young kids and for us Adults to stay interested.
    I'd say you're absolutely right. That way, Ash is still a young teenager in that sense, but he is still older than when he started off on his journey. This shows some kind of development in his case overall, and that he has been getting older as his journey progressed, IMO.

Blog Entries

Again, I agree, but it's clear the writers don't. If Ash ever had any development I'd want him to stick around, but... I mean, we had a lot of that in the first season, a little bit at points later on and in the movies, and then every time a new series starts up it's like his mind is wiped. As Emotional said, they actually made him age BACKWARDS, as he had a birthday at one point and was established to be 11 and then was established to be 10 again in the latest series. There's no continuity or advancement as a character. If Ash had kept growing as a trainer and improving and maturing, then yeah, it'd be good for him to stay, but as it is it feels like they're just keeping him to have a slate to continuously wipe, and I'd rather have any character that actually improves and has conclusion in their journey than one that's a placeholder to reset every few years. I'm a big fan of Kanto-era Ash, I'm just sick of them wiping his memory clean every time he starts to learn something.

We sound like a bunch of angry old people

"You kids don't know hooow goooood you have it, back in mine dayssssss we only have 150 Pokemon!"
    Last edited by ThePalletTownKid; 28th October 2013 at 10:49 PM.

We sound like a bunch of angry old people

"You kids don't know hooow goooood you have it, back in mine dayssssss we only have 150 Pokemon!"
    "I'll tell you sonny boy...back in my day, we only had 150 Pokemon, see. There was only Ash, Misty, and Brock, see? Team Rocket were cool and not jokes, you hear? Those were the daysssss! When the show actually had characters with goals...you get it?"

heropon very cool! Winterdaze's Avatar Forum HeadAdministrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Closing, since this is an anime topic.

Discussion about the original series, 4kids and Kids WB belongs in the appropriate threads in the anime section.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123