For Us 90's Kids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: For Us 90's Kids

Really Miss Misty ThePalletTownKid's Avatar

Default For Us 90's Kids

For those of us who remember getting up at 6:30 in the morning or getting up early on Saturday when the show was on Kids WB. Why does the Original Pokemon series (Season 1-5) feel so Nostalgic?
    Last edited by ThePalletTownKid; 26th October 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Following a poster advice to get a better discussion going

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default Re: For Us 90's Kids

I miss the Kids WB Pokemon promos T_T

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fierydestroyerbowser View Post
    I miss the Kids WB Pokemon promos T_T
    Yeah, I do too.

I miss Pokemon being dubbed by 4Kids, I miss the 4Kids voice cast, I miss their script writers, and I miss the series being on Kids WB.

*Proceeds to gets shot and flamed by 85% of BMGF*

Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Even though Kids WB over-promoted and relied on Pokemon, even at the expense of their other shows, at least they cared. It's better than just keeping its license, but doing nothing with it (CN).

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Even though Kids WB over-promoted and relied on Pokemon, even at the expense of their other shows, at least they cared. It's better than just keeping its license, but doing nothing with it (CN).
    Yeah, and at least the promos had the different characters interacting with each other. Who doesn't like Terry McGinnis as Batman talking to Ash Ketchum? Really, it's hilarious! Then the MIB guy saying, "Well, at least my momma doesn't cut my hair" to Ash = ROFL.

Even 4Kids cared enough to at least give us a decent English dub. Even if the dub had plenty of edits and some problems here and there, at least the voice actors, musicians who composed the dub music as well as the intros, and the script writers actually really put out good, solid work. I frankly don't see that kind of effort or passion nowadays from TPCi in the least.

Blog Entries

TPCi/CN may have cared back in Battle Frontier, when they had promos everywhere, and early DP, when they had episodic previews and showed it at least every other day (if I recall correctly), but they don't now.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

TPCi/CN may have cared back in Battle Frontier, when they had promos everywhere, and early DP, when they had episodic previews and showed it at least every other day (if I recall correctly), but they don't now.
    Pretty much: I agree.

Pokemon is just so different now than the one we grew up with, I can't explain it but it's not just the different voice actors or that we're older ( because I still enjoy watching old episodes). And yeah I miss 4kids too.
    Last edited by ThePalletTownKid; 24th October 2013 at 11:53 PM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThePalletTownKid View Post
    Pokemon is just so different now than the one we grew up with, I can't explain it but it's not just the different voice actors or that we're older (I because I still enjoy watching old episodes). And yeah I miss 4kids too.
    Agreed: even the writing has changed (IMO, for the worse) since Takeshi Shudo departed the franchise around mid-Johto. The focus has shifted from emotional moments and lightheartedness with subtle character development over time, to battles and nothing more than a focus on competence than the characters themselves. The Pokemon focus has also diminished in the newer arcs as well. The newer characters also don't really have much distinguishing them from previous characters: Serena literally seems very similar to Dawn right now, Cilan was essentially the same as Brock in many ways sans his focus was on being a Top Connoisseur as opposed to a Pokemon Breeder (and later Pokemon Doctor), etc.

It doesn't really feel like the same series anymore, does it?

Honestly, The Origin reminded me more of the older episodes than the newer ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Pokemon is just so different now than the one we grew up with, I can't explain it but it's not just the different voice actors or that we're older (I because I still enjoy watching old episodes). And yeah I miss 4kids too.
    Agreed: even the writing has changed (IMO, for the worse) since Takeshi Shudo departed the franchise around mid-Johto. The focus has shifted from emotional moments and lightheartedness with subtle character development over time, to battles and nothing more than a focus on competence than the characters themselves. The newer characters also don't really have much distinguishing them from previous characters: Serena literally seems very similar to Dawn right now, Cilan was essentially the same as Brock in many wans sans his focus was on being a Top Connoisseur as opposed to a Pokemon Breeder (and later Pokemon Doctor), etc.

It doesn't really feel like the same series anymore, does it?
    No, I caught D&P a couple time and it just doesn't feel the same. I think Veronica Taylor and that guy who voiced Brock said it didn't feel like the same show during an Anime expo Q&A. Like I said in a different thread, I stop following the show closely when Misty left but still watch it. And when they changed the voice actors I stop watching completely. It just doesn't have the same hearts anymore that was there during the first 8 seasons.

Speaking of Kids WB, I love how they used to have like different Holiday theme shows, like during Halloween weekend they would do Halloween skits with different characters and show Halloween theme episodes.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 25th October 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Blog Entries

The theme weeks on WB were always a blast. Remember how oddly specific it would get? Sometimes it would be something pretty wide open, like Water Pokemon Week, but then it'd be like Gary Week or Professor Oak Week or Brock Almost Gets Laid Week. Good times.

Look what I found guys

Last edited by ThePalletTownKid; 25th October 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Look what I found guys

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Look what I found guys
    That's kinda the point of this thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post