Type-effectiveness reasons. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Type-effectiveness reasons.

Default Re: Type-effectiveness reasons.

I think everywhere, but yes, it was popular in the US as far back as the 60s/70s?? Particularly songbirds, quail and pheasants. But then, it's kind of outdated now that shot and BB guns exist and are so much easier (and humane imho). I'm pretty sure it was big in Europe too, though, since my dad is from Germany and that's where he said he grew up doing it.
    The adage could also be a contributor too, though.
    I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!

Claims: Pyroar and Overheat

Blog Entries

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

I've always found weird that, while Steel attacks aren't very effective on Water and Electric-type Pokémon, the Steel-type Pokémon themselves receive normal damage from Water and Electric attacks. It'd make a little more sense if the situation was reversed in my opinion.

Also, why Bug-types aren't weak against Water? I mean, poor Bug-types don't need more weaknesses, but I think that them being weak Water would be logical, since bugs are small and most of them are incapable of swimming, so they'd drown. Also, they feel water as sticky surfaces. Although this could be justified with the fact that most Bug Pokémon are larger than real bugs. Joltik would definitively drown if you had a Swampert use Surf on it, nevertheless.

ポケットモンスター BW: レボリューション
    Next episode: (BW17) The Nimbasa Gym Awaits! Emolga, the Quick Switcher!! Airing Soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
    Rocks crush bugs
    but bugs can live under rocks too, so i think the two reasonings should cancel each other out (especially since bug is terrible defensively, and bug/flying can forget it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Punching rocks breaks them
    Really? You wanna test that?
    some strong martial artists can break stacks of bricks.

Always wonder why is Poison weak to Psychic.

Claims: Bagon - Outrage - Dragon Fang
    3DS FC - 3626 - 0175 - 1281
    Fairy Type Safari - Dedenne - Jigglypuff - Floette

Quote Originally Posted by TayRanitar View Post
    Psychic is a representation of the Human mind. Humans have cured many diseases and Poisons, so Brain power cures Poison; thus Poison is weak to Psychic.
    Robot Wars fan.

Razer Rotom - Electric/Steel

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Claims: Bagon - Outrage - Dragon Fang
    3DS FC - 3626 - 0175 - 1281
    Fairy Type Safari - Dedenne - Jigglypuff - Floette

I am not sure but I think that bug being super effective against psychic is about software bugs. It is a problem caused by programmer's fault, so it beats the human mind (in some way). But I don't know why it is weak against fighting, it just does not make any sense.

Also steel being not very effective against water or electric is simple, because you can't harm them with steel. Metals conduct electricity and you simply can not cut water by hitting with a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlaad43 View Post
    Psychic is a representation of the Human mind. Humans have cured many diseases and Poisons, so Brain power cures Poison; thus Poison is weak to Psychic.
    But almost everything is toxic on brain. If you drink too much water, you will be intoxicated by it and first thing you lose would be your brain. So if your theory was true, water would be super effective against psychic. Also psychic would be super effective against electricity, bug, grass or almost anything because human race conquered nature with its brainpower. We control electricity (or electricity control our brain, it's a matter of perspective) with machines built by brain.
    Last edited by drbasat; 27th June 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Hoenn's Champ-to-be CountessDeLaRoca's Avatar
    Follow CountessDeLaRoca On Twitter Add CountessDeLaRoca on Facebook Add CountessDeLaRoca on Google+ Add CountessDeLaRoca on MySpace
    Add CountessDeLaRoca on Linkedin Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Tumblr Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Flickr Visit CountessDeLaRoca's Youtube Channel

Science time!!

Bug>Dark=Bugs have primitive brains, and thus are incapable of sensing fear
    Psychic>Fighting=Most martial don't train the mind
    Dark, Ghost, Bug>Psychic=Common human fears(Darkness, Paranormal activity, and Bugs)
    Grass>Water=Plants absorb water and other liquids
    Electric<Steel= Stainless steel is a not a good conductor of electricity
    Ground<Flying=Most Flying-type Pokemon will be up above, and will avoid most Ground-type attacks, although that does raise a few questions regarding Gyarados
    Fighting>Normal=Logically, a trained fighter will be much stronger than the average person
    Fighting>Dark=One can overcome fears through extensive training
    PoisonXSteel=Metal has no organic properties
    Poison, Steel=Poison and metal are two most common pollutants
    Rock>Bug, Flying=Most bugs and birds have fragile bones to enable flight, and can easily be knocked out by a heavy rock
    Psychic>Poison=People developing cures for diseases, though it does bring up Cancer and AIDS
    Last edited by CountessDeLaRoca; 28th June 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Favorite game characters: Chrom, Vaike, Nowi,Donnel, Maribelle, Mega Man X, Mega Man.EXE, Proto Man.EXE, Princess Pride, Geo, Omega-Xis, Ophiuca, Ace

Favorite show characters: Master Shake, ,Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza, Cell, Omega Shenron

Favorite voice actors: Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Stephanie Nadolny, Melissa Fahn, Kyle Hebert, Eric Vale, Lex Lang, Clancy Brown, TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh

3DS FC:4468-1383-6014
    IGN:Countess45

Poison weak to psycic maybe because u need physical contact to be poisonate. While Psychic can attack without physical contact.

So same logic for why Fighting weak against Pshychic.
    I have no puppy-eyes and as selfish as a cat.
    But who can resist this cheekiness >:3.

Quote Originally Posted by lovandra View Post
    Poison weak to psycic maybe because u need physical contact to be poisonate. While Psychic can attack without physical contact.

So same logic for why Fighting weak against Pshychic.
    Nope.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and Brain vs Brawn are two sayings which show that mental power is better than just physical strength.
    Robot Wars fan.

Razer Rotom - Electric/Steel

Blog Entries

I am still baffled over the Fairy type, I can understand fairies banishing the darkness but... when it was announced it was super effective against fighting I just imagined a little girl in a fairy costume who goes up to a big butch weight lifter and hits him with her wand and sprinkles glitter on him to make him sneeze.

And why is it super effective and immune to dragons? Is there some Japanese myth/legend that I have missed?

Everything else about the type I can understand.

FC: 4725-8143-3936 IGN: Serenade
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlaad43 View Post
    I surmised that it was based on "psychic" spiritual healing. Maybe even as deep a reason as the placebo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    I am still baffled over the Fairy type, I can understand fairies banishing the darkness but... when it was announced it was super effective against fighting I just imagined a little girl in a fairy costume who goes up to a big butch weight lifter and hits him with her wand and sprinkles glitter on him to make him sneeze.

And why is it super effective and immune to dragons? Is there some Japanese myth/legend that I have missed?
    Everything else about the type I can understand.
    Faries -> Dragons: I think it's no other reason than magic is the only thing strong enough to defeat a magical creature (why Dragon is SE to itself)
    Fairy type introduced to balance some types. Fair enough. It nerfed dragons (in a generation that introduced a TON of them?). It boosted poison's offense, OK, poison needed better offense. It nerfed Dark. Did dark need a nerf? It nerfed Bug - wait what!? After so many generations of struggling, poor bug types finally had power representatives in Vespiquen, Galvantula, Scolipede and Volcarona, and then it gets nerfed AGAIN!? Bugs are now weaker defensively than grass (which have the same amount of weaknesses but immunity to leech seed and spore effects) and offensively just got flat out replaced by fairy being resistant to bug and SE on dark.

Blog Entries

The only reason dragons were such a pain is because they were the majority of legendaries and pseudo legendaries. They had two weaknesses and only 1 super effectiveness. If they just buffed up the Ice type and made some good Ice type legendaries and psuedo legendaries all would have been good. As I liked the idea of Ice cooling a dragon's rage.
    Now Dragons are quite weak as Fairy is immune to its attack so you just bring out a fairy type when one is outraging.

I like how Ice is super effective against many things but I don't understand how it is only resistant to itself... I'm not the very best at science but surely it would be resistant to atleast Grass and Water (but then warm water can melt ice...)?

FC: 4725-8143-3936 IGN: Serenade
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    The only reason dragons were such a pain is because they were the majority of legendaries and pseudo legendaries. They had two weaknesses and only 1 super effectiveness. If they just buffed up the Ice type and made some good Ice type legendaries and psuedo legendaries all would have been good. As I liked the idea of Ice cooling a dragon's rage.
    Now Dragons are quite weak as Fairy is immune to its attack so you just bring out a fairy type when one is outraging.

I like how Ice is super effective against many things but I don't understand how it is only resistant to itself... I'm not the very best at science but surely it would be resistant to atleast Grass and Water (but then warm water can melt ice...)?
    I love this idea, I was doing just this on blog posts.

It's not so much that Ice types cool off a Dragon types rage as it is that Dragon types are probably cold blooded, usually being reptilian and all. Cold blooded animals don't react well to cold, it slows them down and immobilizes them and they can easily die of hypothermia, being completely dependent on their environment to provide temperature control.

I always figured Ice types only resist themselves because of where they live. Type advantage basically applies to pure types, and Ice types, given their nature, would probably live in harsh and cold environments. Since that would be their home, how likely do you think it would be that they would encounter another Pokemon that wasn't at least half Ice type? Not likely. With that in mind, Ice types wouldn't have needed to develop resistance to anything but themselves. Grass types may vary in their ability to resist frost, and pure Water types probably wouldn't live in places where pure Ice types would live.

As for the Psychic and Poison thing, this is how TV Tropes explains it and I agree. Psychic Pokemon are ones that use Psychic powers as their primary offense and defense, as their means of survival. Remember what they can do. They can use their abilities to levitate objects, redirect attacks, block, confuse their opponents, and disable/manipulate their muscles. Psychic types are resistant to Poison type attacks because they would be able to paralyze the Poison type before the Poison type could administer poison. Psychic types could also manipulate the muscles that control the release of said poison. Remember how Jessie's Arbok in the early anime got sick when it had its poison in its body? Poison types may not be immune to their own toxins.

The same method works for Fighting types and why they resist damage. Fighting types would normally have to get up close to hit, and they rely on powerful muscles and reflexes. Psychic types could paralyze those muscles or block the Fighting type, ensuring said Fighter never gets a chance to hit or their attacks don't connect. And since the Fighting types primary weapon is defeated, Psychic types are free to do damage. Now to be fair Psychic types don't seem like they have the most robust constitutions, unable to take physical blows well. Since Fighting types are strong to Rock, that means they are strong enough to break rock. So if a Fighting type DID manage to land a blow on a Psychic type, it would do a great deal of harm.

Blog Entries

When I was a little kind and just started my adventures in LeafGreen, I had to keep images in my head about why this type beat that type. I figured Rock beats fire because rocks are used to circle a campfire, preventing the flames' spread. Rock beats Ice, Flying and Bug because it can be used to crush those three irl. Ghost is strong against Ghost because it takes a spirit to kill a spirit... either that, or they just couldn't figure a different logical weakness. Psychic beats poison because... uh... Well, never did have an idea for that one. I'm guessing it might be from magic powers being able to loosen up toxins from a person, idk really.

As for Dragons, I always figured the same reason with Dragon vs. Dragon as Ghost vs. Ghost; it takes a Dragon to kill a Dragon. Ice made a little sense, with Dragons' reptilian designs and how cold temperatures shut down reptiles. Fairy's there just to nerf the things. Oh, Fairies. Steel beating Fairy makes sense. It's an old belief that iron is the one thing they can't deal with. I'd still like to know why Bug is ineffective and why Poison is supereffective though.
    Last edited by BlackOsprey; 12th July 2014 at 10:30 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Terminus

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast