Tomamae, Hokkaido = Floaroma Town?

Thread: Tomamae, Hokkaido = Floaroma Town?

Default Tomamae, Hokkaido = Floaroma Town?

As everyone should know by now, Sinnoh is based on the geography of Hokkaido, Japan. Having nothing better to do before bedtime (my DS is being charged), I decided to sniff out the real-world equivalents of the places in teh Pokémon world. For some reason, I decided to focus on Sinnoh, and that's where I found something interesting.

While looking for "Wind farms in Hokkaido" (I was looking for the real world counterpart to Valley Windworks) on Google, I came across this place known as Tomamae Wind Villa, located in Hokkaido. When I dug further, I learnt that it was located in a town in Hokkaido, called Tomamae, and this is where things get interesting.

When I looked up at it's article on Wikipedia, a map showed that it was located in a place that is close to Floaroma Town's relative position in Sinnoh. The article on Tomamae also mentions that it "is famous for its windmills which dot the countryside", and as you know, right to the east of Floaroma Town is the Valley Windworks.

Bulbapedia's article about real world relatives to the Pokémon world puts a question mark next to Floaroma Town. Could I have uncovered it's real world counterpart?
    Last edited by eX.A.K.R.; 13th August 2007 at 10:24 AM.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Very interesting, and it sounds like you have the evidence to prove that you found the windworks' inspiration
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Well, you may have found Valley Windworks, but I wouldn't count the city as Floroama, unless it is filled with many beautiful flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    Well, you may have found Valley Windworks, but I wouldn't count the city as Floroama, unless it is filled with many beautiful flowers.
    And therein lies the problem; the few photographs I have seen online of Tomamae looks rather... barren. Although wasn't there someone in Floaroma Town who told the story of someone trying to plant flowers in a used-to-be desolate landscape to cheer things up?

Sniff, sniff.... Crystal Walrein's Avatar

There was. Perhaps it could have been a lifting of hope for Tomamae?

Interesting. In that article, they also mention a kite flying festival, or something like that. Maybe that has to do with Drifloon at the Windworks (and yes, I realize that Drifloon is a balloon, not a kite, but it's close enough. XP).

~*Kris*~
    MySpace | LiveJournal

I'll be friends with anyone, so PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    one shouldn't base everything on Shin'ou's environment. As it stands, it's pretty fucked up. It exists far in the north, yet it has tropical parrots, and tropical manta rays... [cough] It has a lot of pretty warm-looking areas, actually. So when trying to compare Shin'ou to its real life counterpart of Hokkaido, you should really take its climate with a grain of salt.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    one shouldn't base everything on Shin'ou's environment. As it stands, it's pretty fucked up. It exists far in the north, yet it has tropical parrots, and tropical manta rays... [cough] It has a lot of pretty warm-looking areas, actually. So when trying to compare Shin'ou to its real life counterpart of Hokkaido, you should really take its climate with a grain of salt.
    Let's not forget that in norther Sinnoh, it is filed with snow, and when you travel east of Snowpoint into that island, there is an desert area with a harsh Sand Storm.

Sinnoh truely has the weirdest weather in all of the Pokemon world....