Time Travel Paradox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel Paradox

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Ferbgor On Twitter Add Ferbgor on Facebook

Default Time Travel Paradox

When migrating Pokemon from FireRed and LeafGreen to HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Pokemon are travelling through time, as FRLG took place 3 years before HGSS. This also means that you somehow contacted Red in the past and asked him to send you Pokemon. This all creates a complex chain of events. Migrating from Hoenn is different as Hoenn is a different region and pokemon could be transported electronically to Kanto at the present. It's strange that Prof. Elm is ok with trading these pokemon from the past but not the spiky-eared Pichu.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Time Travel Paradox

What about the Kanto-Johto trading that happened in Gen.2?
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Ferbgor On Twitter Add Ferbgor on Facebook

Thats not the point. I'm saying that even thogh it is not stated migrating from FRLG to HGSS is time travel.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Ooo. I never thought about this. So many things that GameFreak does that they aren't even aware of. The same thing happens with B/W - The pokemon are transported presumably 5 years into the future.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Archosaur Enthusiast Spikeheila's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And if they didn't do it,we'd all whine about not transfering the pokemon over

Electric Friend Safari: Luxio, Electabuzz, Pachirisu.

This may be a minor case of Gameplay and Story Segregation. Like Spikeheila said, if Gamefreak thoroughly thought that over, and not allowed us to trade because of that, many people would complain.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation
    Two Halves Make a Whole
    Thank you ★ ★ Princess of Hoenn!

Blog Entries

I see the Red you play as and the Red you fight as different people (sorta like an alternate universe-type something or other). It especially holds true if you chose the girl in Kanto.

HGSS was released with the DSi in mind. While you can still migrate Pokémon over, the games were made with the idea of not needing to anymore. In case you were using a DSi and couldn't transfer, you could still catch 'em all (minus the Regis and events) with just Diamond, Pearl, either HG or SS, and a lot of patience.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mabey when you trasfer it from game to game the game in one time when the pokemon is sent the pokemon is stored untill the next time then that trainer receves it how ever i dont know how they would do a gen2 -> gen 1 trade as thats going back in time.

The trade system is ruled by celebi.
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    I see the Red you play as and the Red you fight as different people (sorta like an alternate universe-type something or other). It especially holds true if you chose the girl in Kanto.
    So the Team Rocket that you encounter during the game were beaten by who 3 years ago? And in Gen I there was no female character so that meant nothing in Gen II when you battle red. But they couldn't go around and mess with the most badass character in Pokémon for the remakes.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Certain allowances have to be made against canon for the sake of gameplay and features.

Even at the tender age of... whatever age I was when G/S came out, I despised the time travel thing with R/B/Y. I try to put that down to the franchise still finding its feet at the time and it just being a dumb decision.

I understand that R/B/Y/FR/LG and R/S/E take place at the same time; while D/P/Pt HG/SS take place 3 years later.

That's probably why it's impersonal migration rather than "YOU TOTALLY TRADED IN TIME." - so as to overlook the time difference.

But, sometimes you have to ignore those minute details and think: it's a game, allowances have to be made for that.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

hi

Oh please, this doesn't even compare to the paradox of having two Mewtwos in a single game or the paradox in Pokemon 4ever.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

The not being able to trade the Spiky'eared Pichu is a good point, though. I think a better reason for not trading it would be: 'It could be dangerous; don't let other trainers get in contact with it.' That makes a little less sense, but then the paradox wouldn't happen.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyra View Post
    The trade system is ruled by celebi.
    lol, agreed.

This is very...interesting. never thought of it before...well thought, Bart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Thats not the point. I'm saying that even thogh it is not stated migrating from FRLG to HGSS is time travel.
    So its time travel because you say it is.

There are some things in the games that fans just have to go with and not think about.

If we're getting 'realistic' in terms of the gameverse, how is it then that your HgSs can communicate with multiple FrLg games as if there were multiple Reds?

And how exactly is it time travel? Things from the past are going into the future, not the other way around. For all you know, in-universe, those Pokemon are just in storage waiting three years. Claiming that progressing to the future is some kind of unrealistic time-travel is ridiculous since I'm doing it as I type this comment, and you're all doing this as you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Oh please, this doesn't even compare to the paradox of having two Mewtwos in a single game or the paradox in Pokemon 4ever.
    There are multiple games out there. Not everything everyone does in those games are canon. Only what the player is forced to do is canon, so catching legendaries or even catching any Pokemon that isn't handed out to you by NPC's isn't 'canon' in the game universe relative to that character's history no matter how much you like to pretend that Red caught Mewtwo. Perhaps he fought it, but catching it isn't required as part of the game.

In fact, the only player characters that it would be canon to catch legendaries are the BW protagonists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast