A thought about the Pokedex...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A thought about the Pokedex...

Neko daisuki-na no nya! Strawberry Delcatty's Avatar

Default A thought about the Pokedex...

Something came to my mind about how the Pokedex list Pokemon species in an AIM conversation...

[21:55] Eternallostgamer: wild monkey? There's a mankey in teh fight?
    [21:56] Ida Kathry: No... the's Vigoroth's classification...
    [21:56] Eternallostgamer: they're monkies?
    [21:56] Eternallostgamer: thought they were... no clue
    [21:56] Ida Kathry: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vigoroth_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29
    [21:57] Ida Kathry: I'm just going by sources
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: (looks at sereebi instead)
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: hmm wild monkey
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: so wonder wjhat the slaking is
    [21:58] Eternallostgamer: lazy... behomth
    [21:58] Eternallostgamer: lazy... behemoth or something could'b fit more*
    [21:59] Eternallostgamer: geez this is a weird one sloaoths are sloths in reality and sure I had no clue what Vigo was but Slack was a behmoth
    [22:00] Eternallostgamer: none of those forms look like monkies. Game Freak IS on crack
    I DO have to admit of some oddball species that don't match the Pokemon at all (Sandslash is a mouse?).

Does anyone feel that some Pokemon species classifications are... inaccurate?

Sure. Most things are a bit inaccurate. But some are quite nice. I like it when they aren't named after the animal but after the concept like delcatty's "Prim" and absol's "Disaster" and stuff. However, some do seem a bit out there. I mean I guess they want to use common words or something like instead of "Mongoose" it becomes "Cat Ferret". Or maybe they just translated it badly. But some are okay. I mean sandslash could be a mouse. I mean you don't have to strain yourself finding what else it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Fan
    I mean sandslash could be a mouse.
    It looks like a porcupine to me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Delcatty
    (Sandslash is a mouse?).
    Sandslash is indeed a rodent, it is based on the Hedgehog family.

On the subject of the Pokédex classifacations, I find them to be mostly accurate. The Sloth/Monkey thing could be a simple translation mistake (Assuming the japanese classification is diffrent).
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

Not reallymuch of one, Strawberry. The needles are too big and really it seems a bit long. Just the body structure. I mean I guess the fact that it has those was affected by hedgehog's needles but I wouldn't say it is the hedgehog pokemon. Some are actually quite strange but not all really. I still stand by the fact that the concept classifications are much more interesting. Like azurill's "Polka-Dot Pokemon" is a bit better that like "Tiny Mouse" or something. And really most are as simple as that so there is little worries. However stuff like cradily's "Barnacle Pokemon" while it is seriously based on a sea lily and even lileep's is "Sea Lily Pokemon" so I find it strange to see that. The pokemon didn't change that much when it evolved.

I still stand by the fact that the concept classifications are much more interesting. Like azurill's "Polka-Dot Pokemon" is a bit better that like "Tiny Mouse" or something.
    I have to admit that I think that's a bit nifty myself. Cubone as the Lonely Pokemon...

However stuff like cradily's "Barnacle Pokemon" while it is seriously based on a sea lily and even lileep's is "Sea Lily Pokemon" so I find it strange to see that. The pokemon didn't change that much when it evolved.
    Just looked up a Wikipedia entry on barnacles...
    Yeah, I have to agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Delcatty
    I have to admit that I think that's a bit nifty myself. Cubone as the Lonely Pokemon...

Just looked up a Wikipedia entry on barnacles...
    Yeah, I have to agree with you there.
    Yeah. If they added some outer shell then I wouldn't mind but as is isn't enough to change.

Yeah, the cubone's one is a good one as well. I can't believe I forgot that one.

Blog Entries

I think Slowpoke and Slowbro just dont make sense. The only thing "hermit crabby" about Slowbro is the shell and he's not even in it! It's on his tail for gawd's sake!
    In my "Official Guide Book" that I had since I was nine and I'm fifteen, they say stuff like Bulbasaur being a "seed" Pokemon.

What is wrong with slowpoke's? You know, it would be awesome if they changed slowbro's to the "Hermit Pokemon".

Um... Clair, bulbasaur's classification is the "Seed Pokemon", it isn't a mistake in the book.

Blog Entries

Sandslash is a pangolin.

I guess they try to make the classifications not so complicated for the kiddies, but they used words even more complicated than that to make up the names of pokemon. Oh well, names and flavor text are two different concepts.

Cyndaquil is the Fire Mouse pokemon, but it is based on the echidna, and as far as I know, mice and echidnas aren't even closely related.

Edit: Ok, without the flames, it kinda resembles a shrew, but that's the most I'll give them.
    Last edited by Dragon Char; 27th November 2005 at 09:27 AM.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Water's Great Guardian Lugia2478's Avatar

I'm sure it's just a combination of making the names easy for children to understand, and then a fair bit of it is probably translation error. This error percentage is probably low, but I'm sure it's still there.

Also, it might be creative differences. The translators may look at a Pokémon and its classification and say that the Japanese made an error in judgement because they may be unfamiliar with something, so they change it to what they think would suit it best.
    The present is made possible by the ghosts of the past, and because there is a present, there will be a future. The past, therefore, is where the future begins.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting point. We should have a look at the Japanese classifications.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile726
    Sandslash is a pangolin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

The pangolin does share some characteristics with Sandslash, but it also has two things (The long tail, and the defensive spray) that suggest it is not the inspiration for Sandslash.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But the Sand line knows Poison Sting. Couldn't that be the noxious spray?

Blog Entries

Well, the spray is not really poisonous. I always thought it Sandslash's Poison Sting was more to represent the myth that the spiny mammels/rodents could fling thier quills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast