Things in pokemon that dont make sense - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Things in pokemon that dont make sense

Professional Troublemaker Lunacy Fringe's Avatar
    Follow Lunacy Fringe On Twitter

Default Re: Things in pokemon that dont make sense

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
    I used to find mammals hatching from eggs weird, but I've decided Pokemon reproduction works kinda differently from normal animals.
    How do Pokemon learn moves from TM's? How does some CD teach you how to breathe or Fly?
    I had a CD that taught me how to type in elementary school...(joke, guys).

One thing I never understood is why people settle arguments, or otherwise express defeat when their Pokemon faints? A ten year old may beat a 25 year old's pokemon, but what's stopping said 25 year old from kicking that kid in the face?
    Friend Code: 3067-5751-5572
    Trainer Name: Brennan
    Friend Safari: Ice -Delibird, Bergmite, Cloyster.

One thing I never understood is why people settle arguments, or otherwise express defeat when their Pokemon faints? A ten year old may beat a 25 year old's pokemon, but what's stopping said 25 year old from kicking that kid in the face?
    The fact that said kid's Pokémon are still out? I wouldn't attack a ten year old when he still has his Blastoise out.

That said why everybody needs to settle everything down through Pokémon battles weirds me a bit.

Chapter 1: The Frigid City

An old friend of Alex's shows up while he's trying to sort out with his father what to do about his newest friend and helps come out with a solution. Afterwards, Alex and him make a little tour around Icirrus City in order to show the Golurk how human society works and end up meeting with more friends, but what is the Golurk thinking through the whole experience?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacy Fringe View Post
    Well... say you were having a swordfight duel with someone. Your opponent disarms you. You now face an armed foe without having a weapon yourself. Would you still attack said foe? I bet not. I think it's the same idea with Pokemon. Plus, just about any Pokemon is strong enough to kick a 25-year-old across a field, so charging the winner is probably as suicidal as trying to fist-fight an armed foe.

As for why everyone settles disputes with Pokemon battles, it's the same reason why duels seem to be the only answer in certain movies. In normal cases, it's a matter of yielding to the one who proves stronger and more skilled than you; in extreme cases (cough cough evil teams), it's more like the swordfighting duel I mentioned before. Bad guys kind of have to concede defeat when you're the one with a dangerous creature protecting you, and their creature can't fight. These cases, particularly any fight involving Ghetsis, Pokemon battle is much more a kind of self-defense than anything. Fight or get torn apart by a three-headed dragon monstrosity. Either way, the loser won't be arguing as much when they're defenseless and you're the one with the sword Pokemon.

I find it weirder that defeated opponents (grunts in particular) just stand there after defeat. Wouldn't they... I dunno, run away? In an ordinary NPC's case, take their Pokemon to a Pokemon Center?
    Last edited by BlackOsprey; 9th August 2014 at 08:02 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Terminus

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, phoenix down, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

I'm very thrilled with Metagross getting a Mega evolution but isn't mega evolution supposed to be something which is very old, almost ancient? And isn't the Metagross species/line relatively new since they are based on computers/robots ?? So something just doesn't add up there, just an observation I guess

Blog Entries
    Follow Wild Jr. On Twitter
    Follow Wild Jr. on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by pravinrasu View Post
    I'm very thrilled with Metagross getting a Mega evolution but isn't mega evolution supposed to be something which is very old, almost ancient? And isn't the Metagross species/line relatively new since they are based on computers/robots ?? So something just doesn't add up there, just an observation I guess
    Well, MEWTWO has a mega...
    [NNID] The_Wild_Jr
    [FC] 3540-0923-8026
    [PSN] Wild_And_Mark
    [Steam] wild_jr
    [Tumblr] wildjr.tumblr.com
    [Twitter] @Wild_Jr_Rulezzz
    [Skype] thewildjr

Does anyone live in MD, USA?

Vivillon Pattern: Modern
    Friend Safari: Rock (Corsola, Shuckle, Nosepass)
    I do not accept hacked, cloned or RNGed Pokemon

Credits:
    Profile Pic and Avatar: joy-ling on DA
    Trainer Cards: Pokecharms
    Social Icons: PokeCommunity, BMGf

Yea, I also meant about the relatively new species of Pokemon and
    Yeah it also doesn't make sense with Mewtwo

Blog Entries
    Follow Wild Jr. On Twitter
    Follow Wild Jr. on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by pravinrasu View Post
    Yea, I also meant about the relatively new species of Pokemon and
    Yeah it also doesn't make sense with Mewtwo
    Maybe the Mega Stones are created in the future, and transported back in time by Celebi o_O
    Jk, I have no idea, either.
    [NNID] The_Wild_Jr
    [FC] 3540-0923-8026
    [PSN] Wild_And_Mark
    [Steam] wild_jr
    [Tumblr] wildjr.tumblr.com
    [Twitter] @Wild_Jr_Rulezzz
    [Skype] thewildjr

Does anyone live in MD, USA?

Vivillon Pattern: Modern
    Friend Safari: Rock (Corsola, Shuckle, Nosepass)
    I do not accept hacked, cloned or RNGed Pokemon

Credits:
    Profile Pic and Avatar: joy-ling on DA
    Trainer Cards: Pokecharms
    Social Icons: PokeCommunity, BMGf

Castform can't learn defog, and Zangoose can't learn cut.

The Sarcastic Merchant Sir Dragelsnart's Avatar
    Follow Sir Dragelsnart On Twitter
    Follow Sir Dragelsnart on Tumblr

Being able to fly on small birds xD (I'm looking at you Pidgey)
    Friend Code: 0087-2824-1700
    Winner of Last Poster Wins 14
    Claims: Porygon, Thunder Fang, Henry (Fire Emblem), Happy Mask Salesman, Rapier (Fire Emblem), Master Sword, Sandvich

That a fire Pokémon takes more damage when the ground beneath its feet shakes than a, let's say, water Pokémon.
    Sorry if my English is uncorrect!

Pokedex entries. Here are some gems.

1) Kadabra: "It happened one morning--a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra."
    PokeDex: FireRed

What's up with Abra, though?

2) Metang: "It floats midair using magnetism. Its body is so tough, even a crash with a jet plane won't leave a scratch."

Who tested this??

3) Magcargo: "Magcargo's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F. Water is vaporized on contact. If this Pokémon is caught in the rain, the raindrops instantly turn into steam, cloaking the area in a thick fog."
    PokeDex: Sapphire

The sun's about 10,000 degrees F at the surface. That means that Magcargo is nearly two times as hot as the sun, and he's just… kinda wandering around the world.

4) Parasect: "It scatters toxic spores from the mushroom cap. In China, the spores are used as herbal medicine."

Kanto. Johto. Hoenn. Sinnoh. Unova. China. One of these things is not like the other.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaen Hosha View Post
    Bathrooms.

How do Pokemon go? And the fact that no facility to date in the Pokemon games has a bathrooms/restrooms.

Really.
    X and Y has bathrooms. Just saying. In Valerie's gym and the Lumiose hotel.

Besides the ubiquitous Pokeball, most of the illogical aspects of the Pokemon world have to do with two things: The Pokemon world itself, and Pokedex entries. I'll focus on the latter, since the former essentially boils down to the idea that their world revolves around the capture and use of Pokemon, perhaps at the exclusion of most other fields that define reality. For example, if you're on a Pokemon journey, you can't get a formal education as we know it. Does a class of educated individuals and Pokemon trainers/breeders/coordinators/etc. exist? Seems somewhat bizarre the more you contemplate it. I just wonder how the Pokemon trainers get paid. Sure, they battle for prize money, but where does it originally come from? Parents? Family? The bank?

Wailord: It's 877.4 lbs. (380 kg.) whereas blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) typically weigh 200,000 lbs. (90,718.5 kg.). Placed into perspective, a typical Wailord is 0.44% the mass of their counterpart in the real world. Certainly the series can take liberties with the aspects of Pokemon, but this difference always stuck with me.

Magikarp: There's an entire video on the Vsauce3 channel (YouTube) describing how Magikarp possess the ability to leap mountains - this is simply ridiculous. The damage it would cause is almost unfathomable by most standards we use to gauge force in our everyday lives. I highly recommend looking up the video - some other video describes why other Pokemon like Magmar are similarly crazy (2,200 F???).

Darumaka: "Darumaka's droppings are hot, so people used to put them in their clothes to keep themselves warm" - Pokemon White Pokedex Entry - this requires no explanation. Perhaps the feces of fire Pokemon and animals in our world differ, yes, but that's strange. Period.

Tipper of scales CountessDeLaRoca's Avatar
    Follow CountessDeLaRoca On Twitter Add CountessDeLaRoca on Facebook Add CountessDeLaRoca on Google+ Add CountessDeLaRoca on MySpace
    Add CountessDeLaRoca on Linkedin Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Tumblr Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Flickr Visit CountessDeLaRoca's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha71689 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkadot Jolteon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha71689 View Post
    Here's one more: How do Pokémon fit inside the the Poké Ball? How do they materialize into a red mass, and then get sent into the ball?
    AW HEEL YAH

SCIENCE TAHM

Spoiler for answer:
    My brain hurts... :S
    Mine dosen't
    Favorite game characters: Chrom, Vaike, Nowi,Donnel, Maribelle, Mega Man X, Mega Man.EXE, Proto Man.EXE, Princess Pride, Geo, Omega-Xis, Ophiuca, Ace

Favorite show characters: Master Shake, ,Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza, Cell, Omega Shenron

Favorite voice actors: Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Stephanie Nadolny, Melissa Fahn, Kyle Hebert, Eric Vale, Lex Lang, Clancy Brown, TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh

3DS FC:4468-1383-6014
    IGN:Countess45

Blog Entries

You know...as sacred as I hold the type alignments and junk like that, I'm starting to see flaws in how battles work as well, beyond the common "turn based is not realistic." The movepools do sometimes do a good job to reflect what is and is not possible for the pokemon to do based on it's physiology, but there are times where an attack that SHOULD be possible for a poke to learn is not there. There are times where attacks that they should NOT be able to have are there. As for elemental or other energy based attacks, the evidence would seem to point to there being no limitation at all on what pokemon are capable of. I would not make pokemon capable of doing just anything, but I also don't want them to be limited to just their specialty and some other things, either. Also, for the things that are purely energy based, there's no reason that everything that is adept at that element should not be capable of the same thing. I understand what the reason for this is, it was to balance the game, but is there really any reason to continue using this limitation outside the context of the game?

I also realize what this line of thought results in, but I am sure everyone's aware of the nature of the type alignments themselves. I agree, they should not be as they are, but how to properly treat it, I do not know. To even attempt to tamper with it seems like a fool's errand. You're sure to break anything that holds the fabric of this universe together. Not to mention it would mean going back on the golden rule of fanfic writing: defy the anime. I do not think that not following the game was the true fault here, it was the manner in which it was done. The anime will even break it's own rules just to make a certain outcome happen. The key has always been to make it more believable. No pulling an instant win out of nowhere, it has to have context that makes sense for how everything works. The system that exists does make an effective framework for this, but I think an effort can be made to where the types are treated more fairly. Then again, this sort of exists, since even by the game mechanics, as long as you're significantly more powerful than the target, even something they resist can take them out in one hit. What I speak of, though, is that this would apply for ALL situations, but it would still require that the character made an effort to overcome their weaknesses. Then again, this could be interpreted in another way, such as training allowing the modification of "stats" beyond what is possible in the game. If stats don't matter, then this would mean nothing anyway and all pokemon are equal in ability to you anyway. My point is this would extend to their ability with their powers. Even the type chart would become meaningless. Note that I greatly fear this idea, but I cannot argue the sense it makes. I'm sure someone could do it, but I'm afraid the fandom is not ready for such a radical departure from game mechanics. (then again, I think ANY departure from game mechanics is frowned upon and all efforts to be anything but the game will have you railroaded)
    Step into the Fairy circle

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast