Theory: The differences between Psychic Ghost and Dark

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoirGrimoir

Thread: Theory: The differences between Psychic Ghost and Dark

Blog Entries

Default Theory: The differences between Psychic Ghost and Dark

With the news of the new Fairy type, there are questions about how it will be defined as Pokemon type. And there also seems to be some debate over how exactly you differentiate between Psychic, Ghost, and Dark type moves. So I thought I would write this thread here for my theories on how these three other types could be defined.

First Psychic types. Psychic types are Pokemon that use psychic powers to survive. And on that note, let's discuss what is meant by "psychic". The term psychic is actually very vague, and can be used to name a whole bunch of different and strange abilities. But there is a way to break it down. It comes from those people in that believe in the existence of psychic powers in real life. It doesn't matter if you do or not, this is how they define it.

The term psychic is merely the word that encompasses lots of different phenomenon. After that, psychic powers split into two broad categories, Extra Sensory Perception (ESP) and Psychokinesis (PK). ESP is about gaining information via methods other than the five senses. This includes things like precognition (seeing the future, employed by Alice Cullen of Twilight), and telepathy. Other abilities under ESP include clairvoyance. It's French for "clear seeing" and involves having visions of past or present events. But note that this information is ONLY interpreted through the sense of sight. There is no sound, no smell, no other sense. This is in contrast to clairaudience (French for "clear hearing") in which the same thing occurs, but only through sound.

PK involves moving things with your mind, like telekinesis. The metaphor used to explain the difference between ESP and PK is that they are different types of radio equipment. ESP is like a radio receiver, it picks up information from the world but does not put out. PK on the other hand is a radio transmitter, it puts signals out to shake up the world around it, but doesn't take in. A person can manifest forms of ESP, PK, or both. Psychic Pokemon are the same way. I think all Psychic types are proficient at some form of PK, considering they use those powers to defend and attack. For example, Golduck. It may not be the type, but it has the powers, and those manifest as telekinesis.

Other species are able to use both. For example, Sabrina's Kadabra was able to form a telepathic link with her. That qualifies as a form of ESP, being able to read the minds of others. At least I think. In any case, other Psychic species have developed forms of ESP, like Natu and Xatu, who see the future (precognition) or Solrock and Lunatone, who can read the minds of enemies.

These psychic abilities would mean that Psychic types would need different brain structures. In particular, the frontal lobe area of the brain would probably be much more developed. The frontal lobe is, as the name suggests, at the very front, and controls the most complex functions like judgement, personality, so on and so forth. This would probably mean that psychic types have a much higher average IQ than other types. Not that Pokemon are stupid, quite the opposite. It's just that Psychics would be even smarter on average. And because they develop their minds so much, their bodies are probably not all that strong. They don't necessarily resist Fighting type attacks so much as they can prevent those attacks from hitting, because they attack the mind, and stop fighters before they get close. Their weakness to Bug could be explained as Bug-type brains having a difference in structure, a difference that confuses Psychic types, as their usual techniques of mental manipulation don't work quite right. This leaves them open to Bug attacks.

Ghost types were names so because of their initial resemblance to ghosts. Pokemon scientists are probably not willing to admit they are real ghosts. Science and magic may exist side by side in the world, but I don’t think the researcher community will acknowledge it. So whether or not the species ARE ghosts doesn’t really matter to researchers.

The signature ability of most Ghost types is that while they have normally solid bodies, they can become intangible (pass through objects). My theory is that Ghost Pokemon perform their tricks by manipulating dark matter and dark energy. Most matter is bright matter. But dark matter does not reflect light, so it could fill in the gaps for Ghost types. Species like Dusclops are exempt from intangibility because it has a black hole inside of it, and that thing probably would become unstable in it tries to pass through something.

Dark types are interesting, and perhaps the hardest type to pin down. What do we know about Dark types? They tend to employ trickery and deceit to win. That’s what most Dark moves are like. On average, the only stat that’s impressive is attack.

The fact that they turn to tricks to primarily overcome enemies says something about them. I think it says that they aren’t all that durable, and deep down they know it, even if they won’t admit it. I am speaking of course of pure Dark types. Their bodies aren’t built for stamina, and can’t take hits very well, so they resort to tricks and deception to get an edge over enemies because they won’t try straight offense. With their attack being the only thing above average, that means they try to weaken opponents and hit hard and fast so they avoid long battles and direct damage. This explains their particular weakness to Fighting types. Fighting types have very well developed and strong muscles. They hit very hard. So if they get a direct hit to a Dark type, it is really, really going to hurt them.

Another feature which might define Dark types is that they are probably nocturnal, and perhaps a bit on the aggressive side, or maybe just aren’t given to pleasant temperaments. Their resistance to Psychic type could also be for the same reason that Bug types may work against Psychic types, brain structure differences that throw off Psychic types, which are used to assault brains with particular layouts.

Another explanation is that Dark types, like Psychics, are possessed of a greater average IQ than other types. This would certainly fall in line with their choice of deception. Their greater mental abilities allow them to fend off mental attacks. Or it could be both. Also, considering that some Dark type attacks involve a pulse of dark-looking energy, I want to say that perhaps Dark types have some capacity for manipulating dark matter and dark energy like Ghost types. Of course, their capacity for using it isn't as great as the Ghost types, which is one reason why Dark types are not gifted with intangibility.

What do you all think? Is it good?

Default Re: Theory: The differences between Psychic Ghost and Dark

The differences are the same as the differences between Mind, Spirit and Body.

Dark is difficult to define since it's about their personality or behaviour, whilst the psychic and esper Pokemon have abilities and the ghosts have their appearance and abilities. To make it more clear, Dark refers to wicked in this sense, not physical darkness. It is like the Dark Pokemon cards from the Rocket series (where we also had gentle or light Pokemon).
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

I get that Dark types are hard to define. I've already figured that out. They're actually the hardest to pin down of all the types. But don't just say something based on the title. I'm asking, is my theory good? Didn't you read it? That's why I put this up after all, to get an opinion.

It looks like dark types are the evil/mischievous Pokemon, ghosts are the ethereal ones, and physic types the ones with well, physic powers. Not all ghost types are evil, they just have a weird way of "life" because their ghosts. If you were a ghost you would steal souls too!. I would second Te-em, dark doesn't mean darkness physical, it means a dark/evil behavior, though some dark types do symbolize darkness, like Darkrai.

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

Blog Entries

Dark matter? Really? I am made of dark matter and I can tell you it is not intangible. It is pretty slippery I suppose. And it makes it hard to grasp things. Or touch the ground. And there's usually a vacuum in the air around me. So I don't think that Ghost types have anything to do with dark matter.
    Extended Sig | URPG Character

BLUE: The color of sarcasm!
    Brought to you by Frummagem, Inc.

Blog Entries

I think your explanation, Reynard, is over-complicated and over-thinking it. I didn't realize there was anything like a question as to what qualifies as psychic, ghost or dark. Dark, Ghost and Psychic types are very simple and obvious with more or less clear delineations.

The Psychic type encompasses pokemon with an affinity for purely mental powers, rather than elemental or physical ones. Psychic attacks manipulate the minds of pokemon (like Confusion, Calm Mind, Extrasensory or Meditate), strike or block with mentally controlled and focused energy (such as Psystrike, Zen Headbutt, Barrier, Psybeam), or manipulate space/time via the mind (Teleport, Future Sight, Telekinesis, Gravity, Wonder Room, etc.) Pokemon with more elemental types like water or fire attack with what substance is produced within their bodies, it's not produced by their minds, and other purely energy attacks (Solar Beam, Aura Sphere, etc.) gather energy from outside sources or from their life force/physical energy, and not the mind.

The Ghost type encompasses pokemon that are related to concepts of disembodied spirits and shadows (probably because shadows are spooky and have similarities with ghosts). Ghost attacks generally have to do with concepts relating to haunting and spookiness (like Astonish, Ominous Wind and Nightshade), especially ghostly behavior and motivations (Hex, Curse, Grudge, Spite), as well as shadow manipulation (like Shadow punch, Shadow Sneak and Shadow Claw).

The Dark type is called the "Evil" type in Japanese, and as such doesn't revolve around darkness at all, except as a metaphor for evil. The "Evil" type is pretty self explanatory, as it encompasses pokemon that have leanings towards cruel or dishonest deeds or actions, etc. Dark attacks illustrate this perfectly with moves based off of delinquent behavior (Nasty Plot, Foul Play, Payback, Punishment, Beat Up, Thief, Sucker Punch etc.) Most moves that seem like they don't follow the pattern, actually do when you look at the original name (Night Slash=Crossroad Killing, Dark Pulse=Evil Pulse), and a couple of them actually do have to do with darkness (Night Daze and Dark Void).

Pokemon that aren't of Psychic type but have some minor mental abilities will be able to learn some psychic moves. Pokemon that aren't ghosts but can be spooky or frightening could use a Ghost type attack or two. Pokemon that are capable of evil deeds but are not of the Dark type will be able to learn a dark type move. This isn't Rocket Surgery.
    Team Gaara likes this.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

The problem with defining "Dark" type is that most people can't help but to think of it as meaning "Evil" in the Western context.

To the Western culture, "Evil" is the counter-point to "Good" an ever-perpetual dichotomy.
    In the Context of Pokemon, this Dichotomy does not exist and "Darkness" is but one of the properties and elements of which the Physical Universe (and all living within) is made of.

Blog Entries

The Eastern concept of evil really isn't all that different from the western. There is a complex answer I may type up later when I have more time, but in broad, general terms the primary difference between Eastern and Western views of evil are a matter of degree and acceptance of the culture, and not definition. So there is really no reason to see it as vague at all, it's exactly the same in every way that matters

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I got caught up with life. My original intention was to define the physical characteristics of the type, what Pokemon researchers would see that would help define a whole separate type. It was in the spirit of the Fanon Pokedex on TV Tropes. Dark types seem to be the hardest to do that for. If I mixed something up, I'm sorry. But thank you all for the responses anyway.