Strange Evolutions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Evolutions?

Blog Entries

Default Strange Evolutions?

I'm just curious, but has it ever been hinted at why Pokemon like Remoraid and Dragonair evolve into creatures that hold pretty much no resemblance to their original selves? With Magikarp and Feebas, it's supposed to be somewhat symbolic, but what's the deal with these other two? Why does a blue fish turn into a red octopus, or a majestic sea-serpent into a cartoonish dragon?

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I don't see much relation between dragonair and dragonite... first one is blue and white while the other is orangeish/yellow. One is more like an eastern dragon while the other is based on western dragons... It'd make more sense if they were different pokemon, however when it was made the concept made sense as it was supposed to be a "dragon pokemon" (there aren't many other dragon types in GRB...) but probably if the same pokemon was designed now they'd be different species.

Sightly offtopic... I also wondered why Chansey doesn't evolve into Kangaskhan...

*Lol* True. When I was younger, and wasn't a super avid poké fan, I thought Dragonite was just a fat Charizard. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd™ View Post
    *Lol* True. When I was younger, and wasn't a super avid poké fan, I thought Dragonite was just a fat Charizard. Seriously.
    Who can blame you, not as bad as the whole "nd Gen "Pikablu" incident though is it? haha!
    "Shellos does not approve" - XD

3DS FC: 4468-0966-0032
    Version: Y
    Type: Water. Pokemon: Frogadier(PROTEAN,WOO!), Gyarados, Panpour.

POKÈMON WHITE FC: 4684-7670-8863

Add me if you like :)

- My D/P team.
    - My blue team .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markario View Post
    Who can blame you, not as bad as the whole "nd Gen "Pikablu" incident though is it? haha!
    Everytime I hear that (Pikablu), it sends me on a nostalgic field day. Thank you.'

More on topic... I stopped thinking about this long ago. How does a turle develop a metallic, complex cannon assembly in it's shell, with doors on the shell just for them? How does a large Tyranitar emerge from the small shell of a Pupitar? There's no real logic in most of the evolutions in Pokemon :p

Also, why all the Dragonite dissing? :(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fate View Post
    More on topic... I stopped thinking about this long ago. How does a turle develop a metallic, complex cannon assembly in it's shell, with doors on the shell just for them? How does a large Tyranitar emerge from the small shell of a Pupitar? There's no real logic in most of the evolutions in Pokemon :p
    ...Those really aren't valid comparisons. Blastoise is still a turtle, just like it's previous forms, and Tyranitar looks pretty similar to Larvitar.

Quote Originally Posted by fate View Post
    Also, why all the Dragonite dissing? :(
    Because it makes Puff the Magic Dragon look hardcore.

Blog Entries

Well, for the most part, three-part evolutionary dragon-type lines have really diverse looking lines. Look at Flygon's line. That's a hell of a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sho
    Noobs don't have far to fall!

Salac Berry and TM 64 (Explosion) wanted! | Chat! (DON'T TALK ABOUT ACE ATTORNEY OKAY) | KEVIN'S CAR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
    Well, for the most part, three-part evolutionary dragon-type lines have really diverse looking lines. Look at Flygon's line. That's a hell of a change.
    Yeah, but when you look at what that particular evolutionary line is based on, it makes sense. But the same can't be said for Dragonite and Octillery.

For Remoraid-Octillery, they're meant to be based off of weapons. But since Pokemon is meant for kids, they used fish as a basis. Remoraid is meant to be a pistol, and Octillery a cannon.

As for Dragonair-Dragonite? No idea.

Awesome banner by John's Knight from SPPf!

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    ...Those really aren't valid comparisons. Blastoise is still a turtle, just like it's previous forms.
    I think the OP meant how did a turtle evolve two massive cannons from its shell, seemingly metallic, with special flaps for them to come out of!

I find it hard to understand item evolutions, i mean stones fair enough, because the radiation acts as a catalyst to alter the pokemons genetic structure, but a razor fang/claw etc?

[QUOTE=fate;475493]Everytime I hear that (Pikablu), it sends me on a nostalgic field day. Thank you.'
    Haha, i know what you mean, the old school rumours like this always get me pining for the good ol' days, i think it just seemed more....special i guess when G/S were getting ready for launch.....
    "Shellos does not approve" - XD

3DS FC: 4468-0966-0032
    Version: Y
    Type: Water. Pokemon: Frogadier(PROTEAN,WOO!), Gyarados, Panpour.

POKÈMON WHITE FC: 4684-7670-8863

Add me if you like :)

- My D/P team.
    - My blue team .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KisiroKitsune View Post
    For Remoraid-Octillery, they're meant to be based off of weapons. But since Pokemon is meant for kids, they used fish as a basis. Remoraid is meant to be a pistol, and Octillery a cannon.

As for Dragonair-Dragonite? No idea.
    Yeah, I know about the whole weapon thing, but why an octopus? They could have easily made a fish that looks like a canon.

PDL

The only thing I can think of that remoras and octopi have in common would be that they both have suction-like organs on their bodies. Remoras have them on top of their heads to they can attach themselves to bigger fish, while octopi have them on their tenteciles.

Still, I have no idea why one evolves into the other.

Now that I think about it, clamperl, a Pokémon based on a clam, a mollusc, evolves into one of two Pokémon, Huntail and Gorebyss, which are both eels, which are fish. It's almost the opposite of Remoraid evolving into Octillery (a fish evolving into a mollusc)
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

The only thing I can think of as far as Blastoise is that two portions of Wartortle's shell become loose as a bone-like material that are its "cannons" begin to protrude from those loose parts of shell. Basically the "cannons" are retractable like a cat's claws, not as special as it seems.

Blog Entries

I still don't know how Flygon's Evolution Line is reasonable. Like... from Ground.. to Dragon/Ground? Can anyone explain?

Becasue as Dual pointed out, they are based off of Antlions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast