So, is Professor Oak the smartest of all the professors?

Thread: So, is Professor Oak the smartest of all the professors?

Default So, is Professor Oak the smartest of all the professors?

It seems most hold him in high regard and consider him the best. But I am not sure if everyone agrees with that.

Offline for a while HexagonStephen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So, is Professor Oak the smartest of all the professors?

It does seem as if he is the smartest of any professor. After all, he is famous in every region (Possibly except for Unova). But it seems odd that he doesn't already have information on every Kanto Pokemon. But that's the same with any prof., I suppose.

I wouldn't exactly call Professor Oak the smartest. He's probably the most highly regarded due to his contributions to Pokémon research, which includes creating the Pokédex and catalouging all the known Pokémon in the world. But again, it doesn't mean that he's the "smartest".
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He doesn't know his own grandson's name.

I'd say he probably beats out Elm, since he's a student, but I think I'd place my bets on Rowan being the smartest...he just gives off that aura.

I'd say it goes Rowan > Oak > Mr. Araragi > Birch > Araragi > Elm.

Well-known and highly regarded, yes. The other professors since have had their own areas of expertise, wherein they're probably the leading community minds, but Oak seems more like a jack-of-all-trades with a reasonable voice in most all fields related to Pokémon.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Smart" is a really subjective term in this case. Would you dismiss Elm because he doesn't know as much or hasn't contributed as much to science as professor Oak? But then we have to consider that Oak has been at this for much longer than Elm has, which gives Elm a lot of time to catch up.

In any case, like PDL said, being highly regarded does not necessarily mean being the smartest, but because of his many contributions to the study of Pokemon. Then there's also the fact that he too was once a powerful trainer in his youth, and now he even has his own radio show. He's certainly the most publicized Pokémon researcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Big the Budo View Post
    He doesn't know his own grandson's name.
    Other than that being a mechanic allowing you to name your rival so it shouldn't be counted, being scatter-brained, if I recall, is actually a sign of intelligence.

Your list basically has them listed by age.

Also don't get why we're dismissing Elm for being a student of Oaks'. It's like assuming that the student never surpasses the teacher, and if that were the case, then science really wouldn't advance would it? Elm's also been noted as Oak's top student in some canons.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 19th January 2011 at 10:40 PM.