Should Emboar have a different type?

View Poll Results: Should Emboar have a different type combination?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 63.77%
  • No

    25 36.23%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 132
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Should Emboar have a different type?

  1. #1
    Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264
    Blog Entries
    80

    Default Should Emboar have a different type?

    Yes, I'm fully aware that the odds of Game Freak changing any Pokemon's type, let alone Emboar's, are next to nil, but they'll probably never improve Serperior's stats and the jury's still out on whether Samurott even deserves Shell Smash, plus speculating is fun, so here you have it.

    This is one of the more controversial things that Generation V brought with it (besides the claims of racism and the darker plot and the speculation of a Gen III remake and Samurott's typing and Oshawott's design and, well, whatever.)

    So there you have it, should Emboar have gotten a different type. If so, why and which one?

    My opinion:

    While I have nothing against the Fire and Fighting combination and would like to refrain from comparing Emboar to it's counterparts Blaziken and the monkey since, in reality, it plays very differently from them, I do have to say that I am not happy with Emboar's typing.

    Fire/Fighting is a potent combination indeed. So much so that it's debuted in three consecutive generations. However, it just feels that after the success of Blaziken and it's knockoff of a monkey counterpart in Gen IV, GF has gotten complacent and thought they could do no wrong by simply adding yet another Fire/Fighter. While it's design shows creativity and ingenuity, Emboar's type feels like a bit of a cop out. It feels like one of those "well, it worked the first time, it worked the second, so why not?" sort of things.

    I know a lot of people were expecting something different from a Pokemon that looks like this:



    Perhaps Fire/Dark, Fire/Ground or just pure Fire? They certainly would have been more original, if only for the simple fact that they haven't been done twice before, in a row (yes, I'm fully aware of the existence of Houndour and Numel.)

    Personally, I was kind of hoping to see a pure Fire type this generation, as Cyndaquil has thus been the only pure Fire type Starter (that has remained so) in the entire series so far. Meanwhile, Grass and Water types have three each (Grass: Chikorita, Treecko, Snivy. Water: Squirtle, Totodile, Oshawott.)

    Still, I'm getting tired of the new Fire/Fighting standard for Fire Starters (which, I stress, is not the same as monotype Grass or Water simply because monotype is the default) and would like to see something different.

    The truth is, I really like Emboar as a Pokemon (though I would like it more if it was a quadruped, but alas) and the only thing that upsets me (lack of Fire Punch notwithstanding) is it's repetitive typing. I think the Fire/Fighting type actually does it more harm than good, as it has to compete with other, more successful Pokemon who actually play nothing like it and prevent it from exploiting it's own niche.

    Well, I'm done talking. If you got through this wall of text, well, hooray for you. Grab yourself a cookie. Now, what are your opinions on this issue?
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 26th January 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

  2. #2
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse in order to fix its speed, and I'll totally use it over Flare Blitz.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

  3. #3
    Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264
    Blog Entries
    80

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    -Fire/Ground provides the same neutrality to Stealth Rock without the repetitiveness of Fire/Fighting. Besides, not everything GF does is geared towards competitive battling, especially not Smogon's competitive rules. They already removed Stealth Rock as a TM, what more did they need?

    -I thought the pig in Journey to the West was associated with Water, not Fire.

    -Different typing=Different Dex entry.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

  4. #4
    Registered User Articwolf10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bramwell, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,205
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

  5. #5
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    [QUOTE=Articwolf10;3757108]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...
    Saying Meganium is more useful is just stretching it.

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..
    So are you also saying that the Musketeer trio are horrid because they're expies of the 3 Musketeers thus making them unoriginal?

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Too bad, Waluigi Time! There is never enough.

  6. #6
    Registered User Articwolf10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bramwell, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,205
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    [QUOTE=Ghetsis-Dennis;3757113]
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...
    Saying Meganium is more useful is just stretching it.

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..
    So are you also saying that the Musketeer trio are horrid because they're expies of the 3 Musketeers thus making them unoriginal?

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Too bad, Waluigi Time! There is never enough.
    No because no other Pokemon is based on the 3 Muskateers... We already got a character based on Journy from the West... and Infernape was an expy of Blaziken... and Emboar is an expy of both making him highly uncreative and like Envoysaid wans't the Pig Demon a water demon? And besides Samurott is a samaria he should've been part fighting...
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

  7. #7
    Get your game on! Jaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Transgender
    Posts
    6,177
    Blog Entries
    4

    Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Emboar doesn't seem like it could be any other type, IMO. Don't get me wrong- I really didn't want another Fire/Fightng starter, but I only see Bacon with that type combination.

  8. #8
    Wis
    Wis is offline
    Registered User Wis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Emboar should just get Dragon Dance
    Avatar by CrayonBluebird

  9. #9
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    [QUOTE=Articwolf10;3757123]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...
    Saying Meganium is more useful is just stretching it.

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..
    So are you also saying that the Musketeer trio are horrid because they're expies of the 3 Musketeers thus making them unoriginal?

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Too bad, Waluigi Time! There is never enough.
    No because no other Pokemon is based on the 3 Muskateers... We already got a character based on Journy from the West... and Infernape was an expy of Blaziken... and Emboar is an expy of both making him highly uncreative and like Envoysaid wans't the Pig Demon a water demon? And besides Samurott is a samaria he should've been part fighting...
    Well they can't make him Fire/Water because it'll ruin the balance of the three starters. Speaking of water, the idea of it being Fire/Ground would also be terrible because of how common water types are in the metagame thus hindering more of his use than his original dual type. In other words, there is no better way to improve Emboar outside of Fire/Fighting.

  10. #10
    Registered User Articwolf10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bramwell, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,205
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    [QUOTE=Ghetsis-Dennis;3757159]
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...
    Saying Meganium is more useful is just stretching it.

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..
    So are you also saying that the Musketeer trio are horrid because they're expies of the 3 Musketeers thus making them unoriginal?

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Too bad, Waluigi Time! There is never enough.
    No because no other Pokemon is based on the 3 Muskateers... We already got a character based on Journy from the West... and Infernape was an expy of Blaziken... and Emboar is an expy of both making him highly uncreative and like Envoysaid wans't the Pig Demon a water demon? And besides Samurott is a samaria he should've been part fighting...
    Well they can't make him Fire/Water because it'll ruin the balance of the three starters. Speaking of water, the idea of it being Fire/Ground would also be terrible because of how common water types are in the metagame thus hindering more of his use than his original dual type. In other words, there is no better way to improve Emboar outside of Fire/Fighting.
    Nah Fire/Ground is 10x's better then Fire/Fighting... STAB EQ and Chariard is 4x's weak to Rock plus Emboar is just a poor mans Blaziken I think theGround Type would benift him big-time and doesn't he learn a few Grass moves?
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

  11. #11
    Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264
    Blog Entries
    80

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    1. My point was that, since the original story had the pig associated with Water, Emboar should not have been a Fire type in the first place.

    2. Stealth Rock is omnipresent in the metagame, watch Volcarona be OU. Watch Ninetales be OU. Emboar doesn't need Fire/Fighting to be useful. In fact, Fire/Ground gives it only TWO weaknesses (Ground and Water) and Ground is an excellent offensive type that can exploit Sandstorm well enough (Hello Landorous!) So, no, Fire/Fighting is not a better type than Fire/Ground. But again I say, GF doesn't have to keep the Smogon competitive metagame (or any metagame for that matter) in mind when making their Pokemon.
    Saiga likes this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

  12. #12
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    [QUOTE=Articwolf10;3757184]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    There are several reasons why Emboar is Fire/Fighting:

    - Neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Game Freak really wanted to improve starter Pokemon after the "mediocrity" of Kanto and Johto's, especially the most iconic starter, so they can be useful in the competitive play with or without the Dream World)
    - It's suppose to go with the theme Infernape is going (Journey to the West reference)
    - It's dex entry contradicts the Fire/Dark idea

    The only thing it needs improving on is that Game Freak needs to buff Flame Charge for it to abuse.

    I even thought of an idea for another Fire/Fighting starter for next gen (apart of it being an inspiration to Street Fighter).
    - Who cares about SR? He's the least popular Fire Starter ever... the onlyStarter he's more useful then is Meganium which doesn't say much.... his horrid defese makes his high HP useless plus his stats make him a Blazakin clone...
    Saying Meganium is more useful is just stretching it.

    -Thats part of the reason hardly anybody likes him he's a Infernape expy and expy of an expy... not creative..
    So are you also saying that the Musketeer trio are horrid because they're expies of the 3 Musketeers thus making them unoriginal?

    -GOD NO!!! not another Fire/Fighting starter 3 is enough and seeing Emboar's unpopularity I doubt fans would be happy
    Too bad, Waluigi Time! There is never enough.
    No because no other Pokemon is based on the 3 Muskateers... We already got a character based on Journy from the West... and Infernape was an expy of Blaziken... and Emboar is an expy of both making him highly uncreative and like Envoysaid wans't the Pig Demon a water demon? And besides Samurott is a samaria he should've been part fighting...
    Well they can't make him Fire/Water because it'll ruin the balance of the three starters. Speaking of water, the idea of it being Fire/Ground would also be terrible because of how common water types are in the metagame thus hindering more of his use than his original dual type. In other words, there is no better way to improve Emboar outside of Fire/Fighting.
    Nah Fire/Ground is 10x's better then Fire/Fighting... STAB EQ and Chariard is 4x's weak to Rock plus Emboar is just a poor mans Blaziken I think theGround Type would benift him big-time and doesn't he learn a few Grass moves?
    You're missing the picture, Fire/Ground grants it a 4x weakness to water, which is just as bad as having a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock considering how common water types are in the metagame. The only reason Volcarona and Nintales are in OU is because of Quiver Dance and Drought respectively. It's also important for GF to keep an eye on what's going on at the metagame such as Smogon's so they could think of better ideas for next gen and later fix some of the problems.

  13. #13
    真実の英雄 smalllady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Nuvema Town
    Posts
    1,359
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Fire/Dark. Because Emboar sort of reminds me of Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

    It would be pretty awesome, in my opinion. But that's really the only other alternative I can think of.

    Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

  14. #14
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    No because no other Pokemon is based on the 3 Muskateers... We already got a character based on Journy from the West... and Infernape was an expy of Blaziken... and Emboar is an expy of both making him highly uncreative and like Envoysaid wans't the Pig Demon a water demon? And besides Samurott is a samurai he should've been part fighting...
    This. Good point. We don't have a Water/Fighting pokemon... do we?

    Emboar should've been Fire/Ground. Or Fire/Steel.

  15. #15
    Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264
    Blog Entries
    80

    Default Re: Should Emboar have a different type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    You're missing the picture, Fire/Ground grants it a 4x weakness to water, which is just as bad as having a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock considering how common water types are in the metagame. The only reason Volcarona and Nintales are in OU is because of Quiver Dance and Drought respectively. It's also important for GF to keep an eye on what's going on at the metagame such as Smogon's so they could think of better ideas for next gen and later fix some of the problems.
    Yeah, Quiver Dance, that's why Butterfree and Venomoth are OU! Wait...

    TONS of OU Pokemon have quadruple weaknesses to very common attacking types. Don't believe me? Ferrothorn/Forretress/Scizor: 4x Fire. Tyranitar: 4x Fighting. Heatran/Magnezone: 4x Ground. Dragonite/Salamence/Landorous/Gliscor: 4x Ice. Gyarados: 4x Electric. Volcarona: 4x Rock.

    Then there's of course, Pokemon with quadruple weaknesses to less common but still potent threats, such as: Celebi: 4x Bug. Gastrodon: 4x Grass. Toxicroak: 4x Psychic. Breloom/Virizion: 4x Flying.

    What's your point?

    Further, Smogon, being a mostly Western website with a mostly very niche Western audience, is probably only a blip in GF's radar. So no, they don't need to look to Smogon to figure out how to design their own game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Victory View Post
    This. Good point. We don't have a Water/Fighting pokemon... do we?
    Poliwrath is sad. :(
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •