Religions in the Pokemon World?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Religions in the Pokemon World?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Religions in the Pokemon World?

After I made my blog post, I got curious... does religion exist in the Pokemon World?

Like, the Sinnoh Myths having Arceus as the "Original One" and the creator of the universe. So I assume there are religious groups that worship Arceus or something?

Default Re: Religions in the Pokemon World?

I believe there are some tribes that worship some Pokémon. For instance, tribes in desert, jungle and so on :3 but that´s only how I see it due to customizing the world to myself, when writing FF :3 However, I don´t know if there´s a global religion like christianity, islam etc. :o

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

I think Arceus is the main deity, but there may be other surviving religions that worship Pokémon such as Volcarona or Ho-Oh.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are predominantly Shinto-like beliefs, most of which associated to certain pokémon, but not necessarialy.

There's also Buddhism, or something similar to it, as seen in Sprout Tower and other places in Johto.

There's a clear belief in an afterlife and heaven, that takes many forms. There are also church-like or temple-like buildings, and in particular the "Foreign Building" that is very clearly inspired on a church, and another smaller one in BW whose people make me think something like Christianism exists as well.

So I'd say there's a wide variety of religions.

Then there are the ancient buildings and monuments, but those almost exclusively honor pokémon. (And of course, this being an RPG, ancient myths are always right)
    matt0044 likes this.

[/overexposition]

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

I'm sure it does, with references to spirits and the afterlife, along with the presence of the church in Hearthome and temple-like structures as Infinity mentioned.

Just like in our world they probably vary based on geography and the times.

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because Pokemon is mainly aimed at pre-teens and teens, Pokemon officially shouldn't have any religion in it. But, honestly, it's relatively easy to distinguish religious influences and/or practices in Pokemon. As mentioned by both Infinity and Kakuna, afterlife and temple-like structures exist. Especially in the spinoff games and even in the anime. In that Darkrai movie, there's the Temple of Time. In that obnoxious Arceus movie, that obnoxious girl who I can only remember for her annoying "Transcend the combines of time and space" is looks pretty damn similar to a priestess. The same can be said about... Damien I think it was?

There are also myths which historically are associated with polytheism. Then there is the influence of the number three (though you could argue that it came from the Greeks, but they still had religion). Or you can have the dualistic relationships between deities like Ho-oh and Lugia. Honestly, Pokemon is presented in a way so that anyone can support practically anything. Pokemon religion then would then depend on the individual. But then again religion is the basis of tradition, and so, in combination with language, is responsible for the binding of people and nations. So if you really get into it, there has to be something that binds the people and Pokemon together. Pokemon would be the obvious answer, but religion is the practical answer. And who says it can't be a combination?

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Religion is about believing at something stronger than you. The Pokeworld have the Pokemon themselves that are stronger than ordinary people. Whatever they need can be found on the Pokemon species, and the most powerful of them are considered legendary because of all the legends that surround them.

That's kinda religion, isn't it?
    Turtwigged Out likes this.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries

Definitely. There are temple-like structures, and the mere existence of the mythology around Arceus (and a lot of the legendaries, actually) suggests there are religions in the pokémon world because, y'know, the pokémon probably didn't write/think those up themselves.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

I'd say their religion is probably polytheistic. And each region worships their own Legendaries as gods.

It's very easy to see Lugia being worshiped as the Johtoian/Kantoian God of Storms and Kyogre as the Hoennese sea god.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Coincidentally, I just re-watched the Episodes of the Whirl Cup in Johto,
    in which Maya, the Sea Priestess said a prayer to the Sea Spirit.
    There are numerous such instances seen throughout the Pokemon world during the Anime.

Even if there isn't exactly a strong religious organization in the the Pokemon World,
    each region seams to have their own beliefs and rituals unique to them.
    Religion doesn't seam to be a powerful influencing factor on the Pokemon world as a whole,
    just what seams to arise from within small communities, not extending beyond those regions.

Quite Ideal, if I do say so.
    Turtwigged Out likes this.

Blog Entries

I would say they do. They have all that stuff related to Ho-oh worship in GSC and HGSS. Although that doesn't stop me from making characters in my fanfics talk about Jesus.

Blog Entries

POKEMON CONQUEST WAS A CRUSADE!!!
    Kakuna Matata likes this.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

There's religion. There's probably Islam and Christianity and Judaism, too. It's just that, even including Unova, the games are based on a secular, formerly polytheistic society, so it makes sense that Japanese-made games include Japanese-style religion as the predominant denominations.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Ein
    Blog Entries

Follow Ein on Tumblr

I have a huge headcanon about religion in the Pokemon world, but I'll spare everyone the details. Most of it boils down to the people in the regions worshipping the main legendaries of their region, eg people from Sinnoh mostly worship Arceus as the creator of all, but also worship the Lake Trio and Dialga and Palkia, but they fear Darkrai and Giratina. People in Johto worship mainly Ho-oh and Lugia, although people living near Ilex Forest may leave offerings out for Celebi and the people of Azalea have a deep reverence for slowpokes. Stuff like that.
    White FC: Blair 4126 8383 6387

My claims: Joltik, Run Away, Snag Ball, Luck Incense, Shadow Rush.

Trophies

Depends on the place... Usually you find people worshiping Pokemon from their respective regions (also with prophecies and legends). Pokemon may be worshiped due to what they've done in the past to help the world or at least that particular place. The religions probably would be diverse and not just limited to a few and the common religions you find in the real world would probably not be found in the Pokemon world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast