Question About the Unown

Thread: Question About the Unown

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

Default Question About the Unown

Here's something that's bugged me since I found this out back in the Generation III days.

Why are the Exclamation and Question Unowns depicted as having their eyes half open, when compared to all of the other Unown, who have their eyes fully open?

I, for one, cannot seem to find a good explanation for this. Anyone else got some ideas?

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Question About the Unown

Maybe to look like the dot at the bottom of a '?' and a '!', instead of the ! Unown looking like a straight vertical line and the ? looking more like a hook. For absolute foolproof clarity, is my guess.
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

So ! doesn't look like an I.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

to differentiate between the letters and modes of punctuation?
    SOUL SILVER FRIEND CODE:1806 6708 6119

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a design thing, to further indicate they are not normal Unown (and therefore much rarer).

Otherwise players might skip them thinking they are just another shape like the rest.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well basicly what most of the other people seid here to show players that they are rarer then normal unknowen or mabey game freak was messing around with it.

it looks like a dot, most people would never have thought of having them with their eyes half open

Nice weather we're having Cerony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Somewhat related question: Do Unown blink?
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntMedin View Post
    Somewhat related question: Do Unown blink?

Yes, yes they do

That is a good question. D: Maybe it is to show that the ! and ? Unown are rarer than the other Unown?
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

WORK MAKES YOU FREE Shokktrooper's Avatar

Maybe just for design. Like other people have said, it is also probably just to show that they are rarer than the rest.

I think its to differentiate the normal Unown from the special ones. I have a question relating to the Unown also. Is it true the ! and ? are in the 3rd Gen? I believe I saw on Serebii that they were, but I've never seen any confirmation anywhere else.
    I claimed Squirtle.

My SoulSilver Info:
    Name: Allan
    Friend Code: 0818 5931 2255

Now available in 4D! Flygon 101's Avatar
    In the gorgeous, golden spires of the city Prospillium.
    Blog Entries

I love how a simple question that required a simple answer started a whole thread.

Oh well, 5 pages ftw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbogey View Post
    Is it true the ! and ? are in the 3rd Gen? I believe I saw on Serebii that they were, but I've never seen any confirmation anywhere else.
    They can be found in the Tanoby Ruins along with the alphabet Unown. Unlike in the other ruins, the Tanoby Ruins don't require you to obtain all 26 Unown letters before the other two can appear, but the latter are among the rarest variations (along with Unown O, oddly enough).

I think that Game Freak designed these two shapes to make a point of the Unown being more mysterious than they might appear; they probably realized that a lot of people had thought of the 26 Unown as merely representing the alphabet letters. Within the Pokémon world, it's hard to tell if the two special Unown really are of a higher hierarchy than the other ones. I wish that that Game Freak had given them higher base stats and an actual moveset, but I suppose that that would have defeated the mystery of the Unown in general.

The Solaceon Ruins could be construed as implying that "?" and "!" Unown were created by their friends: "Friendship: All lives touch other lives to create something anew and alive." When the alphabet Unown have all been caught, another room becomes accessible where the two Unown are catchable, as indicated by another message: "?!". Are these two Unown what was meant by "something anew and alive"? I'm more inclined to think that the alphabet Unown are "all lives" and the special characters are "other lives".

There is also an important message from HGSS' Unown Report that is associated with the room where "?" and "!" appear. In the Japanese version of the Unown Report, the room is described as hiding the following message: "Companions bless our birth". The meaning of this was somewhat lost in the official translation: "Our friends heartily congratulate us." Whose birth was being referred to? Everyone's?

It is a little conspicuous that "?" and "!" were not present during the creation of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina in the Sinjoh Ruins. Did they refuse to give their blessing on that occasion? It did seem rather careless of Arceus and the other Unown to show off their powers for no particular reason.
    Last edited by Silktree; 26th November 2010 at 05:23 PM.