Pokemon you want to like, but can't

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pokemon you want to like, but can't

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Pokemon you want to like, but can't

We've all heard stories about people who dislike a certain Pokemon, only to give it a chance and find out they really like it.

But what about those Pokemon that seem like a shoe-in for your favourites list, only for you to discover you can't really bring yourself to like it for one reason or another. Maybe you like the typing or concept behind the Pokemon, only to be turned off by the design. Or perhaps you found it frustrating or boring to use in battle.

If there's one Pokemon like that for me, it's Vanilluxe. Ice type, neat and funny concept for the design, evolves from the adorable Vanillite; what could go wrong?
    Well, pretty much the whole design. They took the laziest possible design approach, took Vanillish (who was already just a Vanillite sitting on a cone) stuck a whole bunch of stupid widgets on it, gave it an extra head and called it a day. In short, a good concept ruined by horrible execution.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon you want to like, but can't

umbreon is a pokemon that i genuinely despise and want to like but i find that it's just terrible whenever i use it in-game; however, i did use a curse/payback + lagging tail umbreon in heartgold to moderate success. it's just that one pokemon that fails to appeal to me despite everyone liking it. i mean it looks sort of cool, but there are a lot cooler mons out there.
    Bob the Builder likes this.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

I find it hard to like Palkia. It has a good type combo, but I just don't like its design...sticking to Kingdra

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Palkia...its head looks like a...yeah. Good for laughs, though.

Cloyster...haha. XD.

Grimer and Trubbish; Muk and Garbodor...no.

Stunky...no.

Glameow...no.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 3rd April 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Registered User RemainsToLinger's Avatar

Eevee and the Eeveeultions.

I know they're hugely popular but...I am an old school Pokemon fan. I remember when you slaved away with the evolved forms and wound up with mediocre moves that could be better covered by Pokemon of similar types who were much more useful - to me at least - like Magmar, Electabuzz, or Kabutops.

Even with the new moves and new forms that keep appearing, I just am not appealed.
    Hmmm...Nope, I can't think of a think for a signature nor do I have any pictures I think would fit.

End transmission, please.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Blissey. The highest HP out of all the pokemons, ability to spam Minimize, Substitute and Soft Boiled Eggs all over - it's the perfect way to drive your opponents crazy...

...and that is the precise reason that I can't like Blissey -.- I don't care if she's that good - she's a NIGHTMARE.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Most Dark type Pokémon, like Umbreon, Honchkrow, Scrafty and Houndoom. I've used a few in game but I've always preferred other typed Pokémon.

play later - sleep now! Playful_Weasel's Avatar
    Add Playful_Weasel on Facebook Add Playful_Weasel on Google+
    Visit Playful_Weasel's Youtube Channel

First off Pikachu, he might be main star in the anime, but I still dislike it.

The other two I can't like at all are Charizard and Dragonite, I don't like their design. I used them in the games and didn't really fit in with my teams. I have tried to like them in anime - give them a chance, but because of their design, I just can't
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
    - 4871-3995-3493
    Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
    I have many teams in Kalos - my original team will always be:
    Original Y Team - IGN Maria: Delphox - Mienshao - Watchog - Lucario - Sylveon - Vaporeon

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

All Pokemon designs are rather lame the sedays and they're kind of reaching with fusions and whatnot, but design wise I hate oshawott, the beaver in BW, and any three-headed Pokemon the worst. Seviper is kind of up there too but it's better than... Idk, I think there's been worse.

in battle I hate Shuckle, the Chanseys and anything with absurd abilities stats or... both. Sturdy and the ghost armor are a pain up the arse.

Blog Entries

Well, there are no pokemon I hate per se, but there are ones that have diminished in my view for some reason. Only some of them are individual pokemon, and that is for the same reason as pretty much everything else, and that is my tastes changed. I used to like using pretty much whatever I saw as being interesting, but those pokemon weren't always very powerful. In game, they were good enough, but I wanted to improve my performance. I used to only use six specific types, but now, I have somewhat changed that and tried to pick out what I know to be powerful. What invariably got excluded were Flying types, or rather, Flying/Normal, as they are far too limited in their movepools. I used to always use the early bird, and for every generation, I always ended up with the same moveset, except slightly for Staraptor since it could have Close Combat. I tend to avoid them now. I may also avoid Ghosts since I don't seem to like them that much, even though I know some of them are decent. Although those pokes tend to be the ones in the fifth gen. I also just don't like Normal types, even though they have the most diverse movepools of all. They just don't appeal to me. Everything else is fair game just about, though. I also found that due to conflicts caused by type redundancy, if I exclude the starters in a lot of cases, I find myself open to far more powerful pokemon. There are still starters I will say are decent pokes despite that I switched them out for other pokes, but it has slightly diminished them to me.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think Staraptor is one of these. One thing I like about Staraptor is the evolution it had over the previous birds, but I felt that Staraptor is too good for an early-game Pokemon. The problem I have with Staraptor is that for such an easy-to-obtain Pokemon, it is too good. This is why I don't think highly on Staraptor despite how great some people think since it has the dual combo of early-game and very good.

I suppose another thing I would like to like are Water-types. One thing that bugs me about Water-types is their intrinsic Ice-type coverage (especially Ice Beam), which gives them a very good type advantage against their adversaries. Even the Ice-types does not get an automatic Water coverage in return, so it's kind of one-way as far as coverage goes. This is the reason I am interested in only a handful of Water-types, particularly those Water/Ice-types (because their Ice coverage is justified), Seismitoad and possibly Keldeo.

Thanks for reading.
    Jenneta likes this.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shedinja. It's a neat Pokemon with an amazing ability, but with 1 HP and a ton of weaknesses to popular types, it's as frail as a house of straw.

Also, Poison types in general, they have too few type advantages.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What I'm about to say may shock some of you (most of you) but bear with me, okay?

Charizard.

I actually want to like this Pokemon because it's the only Kanto Starter I don't love, and because it's design is pretty neat, but it's constant underperforming on my teams (my level 100 Charizard got KO'd by Iris in White 2. Note that this didn't happen to either Venusaur or Blastoise) and its massive weakness to Stealth Rocks seriously turn me off. And then there's the Charizard fans. Oh God, they're annoying. Everytime I feel like I'm warming up to Charizard, I just happen to come across some crazy Charizard fan saying something stupid and it makes me fall right back to Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

In a similar vein, Salamence. Salamence is a traditional European dragon, and that's cool. Plus it's blue, which is my favorite color. I want to like it so much that I used one for the post-game of White 2 (I had to farm for one in a Hidden Grotto for about three days. That's how commited I was to making it work) but since everybody's always tearing Dragonite down in favor of Salamence (Dragonite, y'know, the better one of the two) I just find myself defaulting back to the Kanto dragon every time.

Also Infernape and Swampert. Both are genuinely good Pokemon, and I even use Infernape competitively, but the monkey's a spotlight stealer (both in the anime, when its development took center stage and sidelined all of Ash's other Pokemon, and in the games, stealing the spotlight from the much more deserving Blaziken) and Swampert just gave me a bad first impression (I'm trying to get over it, but it's not easy. My enormous love for the other Water Starters isn't doing it any favors either.)

I also can't bring myself to like Darkrai, despite it being a badass. Maybe if it was genuinely evil as opposed to misunderstood, I'd appreciate it more (how many misunderstood Pokemon do we have already vis-a-vis genuinely evil ones? Think Absol and Mewtwo versus...uh....Hydreigon? Mind you, Hydreigon is one of my favorite Pokemon. Even Giratina turns out to be a good guy in most canons.) I'm also not a fan of its design. Honestly, I just don't understand what people see in it.
    Playful_Weasel likes this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Magmortar and Electivire (sp? Too sick to care.)

I love Electabuzz and Magmar, 2nd and 3rd favorite Pokemon, respectively. I just am having a hard time getting over their big, ugly evolved forms.
    That's the only thing that scares me about a possible Jynx evo. (4th fav.) That it will be big and ugly, too.

hi

Bouffalant. Great concept but the design is horrible. It's horns always look awkward (except on the cards).
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast