Pokemon you habitually mispronounce. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

Follow King Fissamé On Twitter

Default Re: Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

I used to call Vivillon VIVILLION, and I sometimes been calling him/her that as well. LOL @ Me adding extra letters on Pokemon's names
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic75427_4.gif

A tragic irony... Twinkles the Marvel Horse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vi-vill-on instead of Vi-vee-on (Don't care what you damn frenchies say)
    Shoo-sheen instead of Swee-coon (I do this purposely as an inside joke)
    Gare-i-doss instead of Gare-a-dose (Another inside joke)
    Rai-koo instead of Rai-koh (Habitual, I think it sounds better)
    Shant I tell you of last night's dream?

Dark forms... came to me...

whispering of Unspeakable Atrocities!

...And because I should have had it on here forever ago, my FC: 3411-1534-7089

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Metal Warrior View Post
    I always pronounce Kyreum as KYU-rim due to a hilariously fake counterfeit card my friend found. I also pronounce Gyarados as Gear-ee-uh-DOS for similar reasons. I also call Reshiram Resh-ee-RAM out of habit.
    I believe that is actually the official pronunciation of Kyurem. It sounds like the counterfeit card had the correct spelling.
    Actually, it was spelled "Kyurim", had 18000 HP, a retreat cost of 8, and the back of it was purple (instead of blue)... and that's nothing compared to the spelling and grammar errors on it. The copyright information mentioned "Nitedno".

Blog Entries

Regice's official pronunciation is Regi-ice, but I preferred to call it "Rag-guise" because single letters aren't known to be pronounced twice.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Blog Entries

Rayquaza, which I pronounce Ray-KWAH-zah, rather than Ray-QUAY-zah. Which is the official pronunciation, right?
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
    Check out Imperium Nova

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Mienfoo and it's evolution Mienshao. I have no idea what the actual pronunciation of their names is, but I constantly pronounce them as "May-in-foo" and "May-in-shao". Years ago I would always pronounce Buizel as "Boysel" but now pronounce it "Bweezel" like it's actually pronounced.
    I hear SO MANY people pronounce them "MINE-foo" and "MINE-shao." And I always think, "what, is it a German Pokemon?"

(It's supposed to be mee-EN-foo and mee-EN-shao, by the way ^_~)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
    I always say Giritina as "Jai-re-teen-a". I mean, when I fist saw that thing, I thought the G was pronounced as a J, like SO MANY other things that start with G do. My friend used to call Suicune "Soo-seen" because she thought "Swee-coon" sounded too much like a bug-type's name (hey, we were only eight). I still call Arceus "Are-see-us". I used to say "Salamence" like "Sa-la-ma-nence".
    Haha, soo-seen sounds like my nephew's pronunciation. Wonder why that one's so hard for the young 'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackButterfree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeko View Post
    Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.
    Yass, bitch! YASS! I'm the same way. I always imagine her when I see the name. The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty). But I think the entire fanbase still calls him Ar-see-us regardless due to it being the implied pronunciation thanks to the spelling. I mean, who pronounces "ce" like "ke"? No one. Arceus for life, man.
    "Arc" is pronounced "ark." So Arceus.

You know what's funny? I always thought it was ARK-ee-iss, with the 'k' sound, but absolutely everyone else I know pronounces it with an 's' sound, so I always assumed I was wrong, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Type O View Post
    I used to call Vivillon VIVILLION, and I sometimes been calling him/her that as well. LOL @ Me adding extra letters on Pokemon's names
    What the--?
    *checks bulbapedia*
    Well I'll be. I've said Vivillion until you just pointed this out, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by darkcres View Post
    Rayquaza, which I pronounce Ray-KWAH-zah, rather than Ray-QUAY-zah. Which is the official pronunciation, right?
    I always thought it was ray-QUAZZ-uh. Then again I don't watch the anime or movies, so I don't really know.
    3DS FC: 1993-8675-7145 (Pokemon X) IGN: SIMBA

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post

I hear SO MANY people pronounce them "MINE-foo" and "MINE-shao." And I always think, "what, is it a German Pokemon?"

(It's supposed to be mee-EN-foo and mee-EN-shao, by the way ^_~)

I always say Giritina as "Jai-re-teen-a". I mean, when I fist saw that thing, I thought the G was pronounced as a J, like SO MANY other things that start with G do. My friend used to call Suicune "Soo-seen" because she thought "Swee-coon" sounded too much like a bug-type's name (hey, we were only eight). I still call Arceus "Are-see-us". I used to say "Salamence" like "Sa-la-ma-nence".
    Haha, soo-seen sounds like my nephew's pronunciation. Wonder why that one's so hard for the young 'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackButterfree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeko View Post
    Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.
    Yass, bitch! YASS! I'm the same way. I always imagine her when I see the name. The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty). But I think the entire fanbase still calls him Ar-see-us regardless due to it being the implied pronunciation thanks to the spelling. I mean, who pronounces "ce" like "ke"? No one. Arceus for life, man.
    "Arc" is pronounced "ark." So Arceus.

You know what's funny? I always thought it was ARK-ee-iss, with the 'k' sound, but absolutely everyone else I know pronounces it with an 's' sound, so I always assumed I was wrong, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Type O View Post
    What the--?
    *checks bulbapedia*
    Well I'll be. I've said Vivillion until you just pointed this out, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by darkcres View Post
    I always thought it was ray-QUAZZ-uh. Then again I don't watch the anime or movies, so I don't really know.
    Well like I said before, Ar-KEY-us and Ar-SEE-us are both official. As is Ar-SAY-us. It's even in its Bulbapedia trivia section. Pretty much everyone uses Ar-see-us because its pretty obvious that it was going to be official until the British thing came up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles the Marvel Horse View Post
    Vi-vill-on instead of Vi-vee-on (Don't care what you damn frenchies say)
    Shoo-sheen instead of Swee-coon (I do this purposely as an inside joke)
    Gare-i-doss instead of Gare-a-dose (Another inside joke)
    Rai-koo instead of Rai-koh (Habitual, I think it sounds better)
    Waaaait... You mean I've been saying Raikou wrong this whole time too?! I thought I fixed it when I switched from "Rai-OH-koo" to "Rai-koo". Although I do agree, "Rai-koo" sounds a lot better.

I also say Kyurem like "Kai-yurr-um". Is this the proper pronunciation?
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Terminus

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

A tragic irony... Twinkles the Marvel Horse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waaaait... You mean I've been saying Raikou wrong this whole time too?! I thought I fixed it when I switched from "Rai-OH-koo" to "Rai-koo". Although I do agree, "Rai-koo" sounds a lot better.

I also say Kyurem like "Kai-yurr-um". Is this the proper pronunciation?
    No, pretty sure it's pronounced "Keeyu-rem" (basically, "Q-rem"), or at least that's how they say it in the anime.
    Shant I tell you of last night's dream?

Dark forms... came to me...

whispering of Unspeakable Atrocities!

...And because I should have had it on here forever ago, my FC: 3411-1534-7089

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    I pronounce Chinchou as "Chin-chao" but apparently is supposed to be pronounced "Chin-choh"
    Actually, it is "Chin-chao".
    WHAT?! This is one of my favorite pokemon! Are you telling me it's not Chin-choo? I'm going to pretend I never discovered this.

EDIT: Also, I remember hearing a while back that the pronunciations of Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon were something weird. I say Day-no, Zway-lous, and Hy-dray-gon, but I'm curious what they are supposed to be.
    Last edited by Karpi; 9th July 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    WHAT?! This is one of my favorite pokemon! Are you telling me it's not Chin-choo? I'm going to pretend I never discovered this.

EDIT: Also, I remember hearing a while back that the pronunciations of Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon were something weird. I say Day-no, Zway-lous, and Hy-dray-gon, but I'm curious what they are supposed to be.
    Sorry, but it certainly isn't Chin-choo. :P I guess it could look that way if it were more French, but it's more Japanese in terms of pronunciation.

Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon are pronounced the same way as the German numbers, ein (1), zwei (2), and drei (3). So it's: Die-no, Zvai-lus, and Hai-dry-gon.

Blog Entries

These are just the ones that I know of, I'm sure there are a lot more.
    Rai-koo
    Soo-seen
    Ill-oo-mice
    So-lo-rock
    Watch-dog
    Ar-chen
    Chin-chee-no

When I was younger, I would mispronounce Scyther's name "SKY-ther," Gyarados "Guy-arados," and Togepi "Topegi." I kept doing this for a while, an no one would correct me. I don't know if they thought those were the correct pronunciations too or they just found it funny and were douches to not let me know I was mispronouncing them.

Currently, and this is the biggest offender, I keep pronouncing Arceus as "Arseus." I know the correct pronunciation, but I keep pronouncing it like I've always have before I heard the correct pronunciation.

Gonna get a little weird jhunter_d's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh god. I'm horrible at pronouncing things.
    Suicune is SOO-i-seen, Hydregion is Hydra-digimon, and yes, I have the same Arceus problem as TBAM.

On a semi-related note, I always get PO'd at the anime whenever they mispronounce Ratatta. I myself used to pronounce it Rat-ta-tat-ta, but now I pronounce it correctly. The anime on the other hand pronounces it 10 different ways, including Rat-a-tat and how I used to mispronounce it.

Imma drink my tears & cry Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Once in a while I find myself pronouncing Dragalge as "Druh-gaggle", 'cause I've been hearing more people using the phrase "a gaggle of" something recently. P:

3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204 ▪|▪ 3DS/Pokémon X/Pokémon ΩR Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt ▪|▪ Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast