Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

Blog Entries

Default Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

I consistantly mispronounce certain Pokemons names.

Reuniclus = rih-NINK-you-liss
    Hydregion = HYDRA-region
    Dragalge = DRAG-alg (hard 'g')

And my nephew always pronounces Suicune as "SOO-see-oon."

How 'bout you?
    Follow me on the PGL! http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/user/A-461-1144-O/timeline/
    3DS FC: 1993-8675-7145 (Pokemon X) IGN: SIMBA FS: Growlithe, Larvesta, ????

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Follow Robo-Floatzel on Tumblr Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

Mienfoo and it's evolution Mienshao. I have no idea what the actual pronunciation of their names is, but I constantly pronounce them as "May-in-foo" and "May-in-shao". Years ago I would always pronounce Buizel as "Boysel" but now pronounce it "Bweezel" like it's actually pronounced.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

I always say Giritina as "Jai-re-teen-a". I mean, when I fist saw that thing, I thought the G was pronounced as a J, like SO MANY other things that start with G do. My friend used to call Suicune "Soo-seen" because she thought "Swee-coon" sounded too much like a bug-type's name (hey, we were only eight). I still call Arceus "Are-see-us". I used to say "Salamence" like "Sa-la-ma-nence".
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Marik

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Skill Link, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.
    Can you ever have too many claims? ...Nah, of course not.

Blog Entries

Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Peeko View Post
    Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.
    Yass, bitch! YASS! I'm the same way. I always imagine her when I see the name. The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty). But I think the entire fanbase still calls him Ar-see-us regardless due to it being the implied pronunciation thanks to the spelling. I mean, who pronounces "ce" like "ke"? No one. Arceus for life, man.

Blog Entries

I pronounce Chinchou as "Chin-chao" but apparently is supposed to be pronounced "Chin-choh"

Blog Entries

I know Vibrava comes from the word "vibrate", but I still always end up saying "Vih-BRAH-va" instead of "VAI-brah-va".

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Mienfoo and it's evolution Mienshao. I have no idea what the actual pronunciation of their names is, but I constantly pronounce them as "May-in-foo" and "May-in-shao". Years ago I would always pronounce Buizel as "Boysel" but now pronounce it "Bweezel" like it's actually pronounced.
    They're officially pronounced as "MEEN-foo" and "Meen-shao".

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    I pronounce Chinchou as "Chin-chao" but apparently is supposed to be pronounced "Chin-choh"
    Actually, it is "Chin-chao".

Time to earn the mask Darkraiii's Avatar
    Follow Darkraiii On Twitter
    Visit Darkraiii's Youtube Channel

Can someone please tell me the prenunseation (yes I spelt that wrong) of Arceus? I'm confused between Ar se us and Ark e us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Actually, it is "Chin-chao".
    Really? Because on its Trivia section on Bulbapedia is says: "The vowel sounds in Chinchou's English name are reverse of the vowels in its Japanese name." It's Japanese name is pronounced "Cho-n-chee", so I guessed that's how Chinchou is pronounced based on that.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BlackButterfree View Post
    The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty).
    This is precisely why I pronounce it with a hard "C", myself. Although, I take it a step further and pronounce the "E" like the "É" in Pokémon, so it comes out as "ar-KAY-us", which makes it sound like it's derived from a combination of "arcane" or "archaic" and "deus" (Latin for "god", "deity" or "spirit").

Then there's Giratina. I'm fairly certain the correct English pronunciation is "gee-rah-TEE-nah" (with a hard "G"), but I still consistently refer to it as "jih-RAH-tih-nah", because that just sounds much more intimidating to me. The official way sounds dumb.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    Really? Because on its Trivia section on Bulbapedia is says: "The vowel sounds in Chinchou's English name are reverse of the vowels in its Japanese name." It's Japanese name is pronounced "Cho-n-chee", so I guessed that's how Chinchou is pronounced based on that.
    Well, the Anime has always pronounced it as "Chin-chao" and Pokedex 3D also gives it as "Chin-chao" so I assume that would be the Official way to say it. The trivia makes it seem like it's name should be "Cheen-choh".

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackButterfree View Post
    The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty).
    This is precisely why I pronounce it with a hard "C", myself. Although, I take it a step further and pronounce the "E" like the "É" in Pokémon, so it comes out as "ar-KAY-us", which makes it sound like it's derived from a combination of "arcane" or "archaic" and "deus" (Latin for "god", "deity" or "spirit").

Then there's Giratina. I'm fairly certain the correct English pronunciation is "gee-rah-TEE-nah" (with a hard "G"), but I still consistently refer to it as "jih-RAH-tih-nah", because that just sounds much more intimidating to me. The official way sounds dumb.
    Ar-kay-us? Sounds cool. But jih-rah-tih-nah? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkraiii View Post
    Can someone please tell me the prenunseation (yes I spelt that wrong) of Arceus? I'm confused between Ar se us and Ark e us.
    The correct pronunciation is any one of the following three. They've all been used in official media. Ar-SEE-us, which is generally the one used by fans, Ar-KEY-us and Ar-SAY-us, both of which were used in Arceus' movie (KEY was used in the movie itself, SAY was used in the trailers)

Blog Entries

As a Brit when I first heard that Arceus was pronounced as 'Ar-see-us' I then always pronounced it as 'Arc-ie-us' like how most of us Brits pronounce it or we'll have people jump on us for swearing in public as 'arse' is a swear word in our culture. Plus pronouncing it the way I do just feels better to say, sounds more strong for the creator of Pokemon.

I always pronounce Kyreum as KYU-rim due to a hilariously fake counterfeit card my friend found. I also pronounce Gyarados as Gear-ee-uh-DOS for similar reasons. I also call Reshiram Resh-ee-RAM out of habit.

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Enzap's Avatar Forum HeadModerator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Black Metal Warrior View Post
    I always pronounce Kyreum as KYU-rim due to a hilariously fake counterfeit card my friend found. I also pronounce Gyarados as Gear-ee-uh-DOS for similar reasons. I also call Reshiram Resh-ee-RAM out of habit.
    I believe that is actually the official pronunciation of Kyurem. It sounds like the counterfeit card had the correct spelling.

I've heard that Suicune should be pronounced like "Swee-coo-nay" but the anime always just said "Swee-coon" so that's how I've pronounced it for years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast