Pokémon World Government
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon World Government

The Dude Abides
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pokémon World Government

One thing the show has been all too vague about is how the world is governed. How do you speculate it is run?

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think this subject was touched on in another thread. I would imagine that there are local city governments (we've met mayors of a couple of different towns in the anime) and perhaps each region (Kanto, Johto, et al) has its own government or legislature. I don't think there is a centralized government for the entire Pokémon world. Actually, I don't think there's even a capital city.

Fighter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aye, and my opinion is that there isn't even a regional government, unless you count an unknown number of unaffiliated and unempowered (social-contract-less) organizations that would possibly run the mints and do other duties which help people live their lives, and also I don't believe those local governments have any actual social contracts set up, they mainly just organize and correlate things; if "government" exists it is 95% invisible and isn't the kind of government we have around here. =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the anime is from the view point of a 10 year old. Ash could care less about politics and Jessie and James are so far removed from the mainstream or Team Rocket that wouldn't know what government was if it slapped cuffs on them.
    3DS Friend Code 0130-2037-5404
    Friend Safari: Psychic; Grumpig, Wobbufet, Girafarig

Fighter
    Post Thanks / Like

It characterizes the adventures of a ten-year-old, but those adventures aren't from his point of view. They involve a lot of people and a lot of important events. And of course the anime has its biases, but most of those are because it's /targeted/ towards kids, not that it features kids. Clearly, neither the anime nor the games nor the manga should be an absolute objective source of information. This is just theorization.

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes the highways? Who sets up the routes? Who authorizes large public projects like dams, police officers, Pokemon Centers, and international trade? I'm leaning towards confederate type of government here with the local city governments having most of the power. The confederate government exists to only coordinate cooperation between cities and also provide a framework that will allow limited region wide projects.

Fighter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are highways? Routes require significant effort to set up? (To an extent they're just beaten paths, and would have been forged out of necessity/convenience at some point, not necessarily by degree of a confederacy.) No one needs to authorize such projects, and what international trade are you referring to? Actually I think confederacy is the term for the kind of government I had thought would have to exist, if what could be called a government exists, so that's true.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm for the theory that there is a central government in the modern-day sense, but some rural areas tend to get kinda neglected since they're, well, rural.

Thank you Jolty for the banner!
    Pokémon Messageboards I Visit:
    Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden ~ Serebii's Pokemon Page
    My LiveJournal
    "Stop making us have sex with each other in your fanfictions." ~Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance
    "I am dead serious. I am not that pretty." ~Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance

Lost in the digital world, but posting from Massachusetts.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always viewed it as mainly a collection of city-states, though I have no idea why. Absence of evidence for anything bigger?

(And come to think of it, the Jennys obviously police at least SOME forests... Meh, multinational cooperation.) :P

Post Thanks / Like

I think that there are mayors of towns, (wasn't there some episode where they met a mayor? I'm not too sure) and the like, and that they are self-governing city states, but that they all trade, and meet and agree on certain ideas.

I think that you wouldn't have to pay tax, and that instead it was assumed you made a suitable donation to the police/nursing/education system, or whatever. Kinda like you Americans and tips, its not a law that you have to tip, but you all do it, (we don't that here commonly in Australia) because the waiters get crappy pay, and well, its just what is done.

I could see that it would be very frowned upon not to donate, although there would be exceptions for people living in poverty, but maybe to get service from the education, police or nurses you had to show a card saying you had made a donation, (Ash doesn't need one as he is ten and doesn;t have a job).

Speaking of which, if there was such a thing as tax, would money you earned as a trainer for beating other trainers be taxable? Or would it be a big tax break, I could see Giovanni using that to avoid paying tax.

Hmm, I guess ive rambled enough

Liam

Post Thanks / Like

To an extent they're just beaten paths, and would have been forged out of necessity/convenience at some point.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. Something that comes to mind would be at the end of Mewtwo Strikes Back (I haven't seen the dubbed version yet). During the closing credits, one of the locales Ash, Misty, and Brock are seen walking in is along a large highway/road in the middle of nowhere, almost in a desert/chaperal like region, similar to majority of the locales found in the US Interstate Highway system (Barren, eyesore, and plenty of nothing)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that there has to be some sort of taxation. How else would the money be raised to build the stadiums that Pokémon battles are held in? What about the city in "Destiny Deoxys" that had an AI security system? Where would the money for that come from? Even Alto Mare had a security system. I don't think venture capitalists alone could raise the millions needed to engineer and design these systems.

Revenue has to come from somewhere. Perhaps a percentage of ticket sales for Pokémon League events (like the battle Ash was watching on television) go to cover the cost of building and maintaining the stadium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've always throught that the league is part a service of the provincial government for regulating Pokemon. All lisences are issued by this service. The sale of Poke Balls is regulated by them. The gyms are government buildings and the gym leaders are government officers.

The league itself is simply an event to put a face this service.

That's just me.
    3DS Friend Code 0130-2037-5404
    Friend Safari: Psychic; Grumpig, Wobbufet, Girafarig

Fighter
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspec that the fact not everyone is on the same page (or at least I'm not on the same page as everyone else...) about how the economy must be or logically is set up, is causing some of the difference in opinion on how society/societies in the Pokemon world must function.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's possible. We're just tossing theories around as to how the government and by extension the economy would work.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast