Pokemon World cultures and races

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon World cultures and races

Default Pokemon World cultures and races

I'm sorry I don't have anything intelligent so say in the introductory post, but this thread is for speculating about different races and cultures in the Pokemon world. We've seen lots of different tribes as well as evidence of influence from both Eastern and Western-sytle cultures. I also think that maybe there's a Dragonrider's clan or two out there. They all wear those outfits and I think maybe it's a tradition. Also, the game mentions Dragonrider clans, I think...

There's such a wide range of apperances in the Pokemon World, maybe the humans all belong to one race, which is actually a mix of all the races that we have on Earth. I don't particularly believe in the "future world" theory (see the Pokemon World history thread), but if the Pokemon world were set in the distant future, then it'd make sense that all the races would be blended.

I also believe that more than one species has cultures. We've already seen that Clefairy are capable of building rocketships and in the Special Manga, Misty is a mermaid. I know the manga and anime are completely different, but it would be cool if there were actual mermaids in the anime world, too, wouldn't it?

You can also discuss Pokemon world religions here if you want, though I don't have any particular thoughts on the subject.

Thank you Jolty for the banner!
    Pokémon Messageboards I Visit:
    Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden ~ Serebii's Pokemon Page
    My LiveJournal
    "Stop making us have sex with each other in your fanfictions." ~Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance
    "I am dead serious. I am not that pretty." ~Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Misty isn't a mermaid in Special. However, Lady Marrin in MPJ is.

What about that one scene where she rescues Red from the dragonite? Doesn't she turn into a mermaid then?

My LiveJournal
    "Stop making us have sex with each other in your fanfictions." ~Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My memory fails me about the part in question. If I'm thinking of the right scene, he *thought* she was.

I thought Misty's fish tail was drawn pretty clearly...

But we're getting off topic in any case.
    Last edited by Roses Ablaze; 21st June 2005 at 11:20 PM.

My LiveJournal

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

She dressed up as a mermaid in "Cerulean Blue" and a Kanto episode. She also seems to have the ability to breath and talk underwater. So maybe Misty's descendants are mermaids. If so, then this is on topic.

This is from the Science and Technology thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomekop Oen
    Anyway,I think there are 3 classes of humans that exist in the Pokemon world.First there's your normal folk,people that are as ordinary as you or me.The second class are I guess what you'd call more evolved humans like Bruno or Kyo who have extraordinary speed,strength,and agility or people like Sabrina and her father who have Psychic abilities.The third class would have to be magic users like Lily who have the ability to use sorcery to do incredible things like turn Ash into a Pikachu.
    Last edited by FabuVinny; 22nd June 2005 at 02:32 AM.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Roses Ablaze
    I also think that maybe there's a Dragonrider's clan or two out there. They all wear those outfits and I think maybe it's a tradition. Also, the game mentions Dragonrider clans, I think...
    The fame checker in FRLG says Lance's grandpappy is thought to be the elder of a clan of dragon masters. I think that's the closest it gets. Clair's four episodes in the anime may mention something...but I never saw them so that's only me speculating. *dork*

Ecruteak's got the traditional, mythology, and mystic/onmyoji thing going on. Whether they have an actual religion's is beyond me though.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Blog Entries

Red was half drowned and delirious. He was hallucinating.

I feel like Poomo tonight.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, Misty was probably already half-drowned in "Cerulean Blue" when she started talking underwater!

So where would this clan of dragon masters be located? Somewhere up in the mountains is my guess. Mt. Silver?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

The region of Blackthorn certainly seems a safe guess based on the information available in GSC, FRLG, and so forth. IE, Lance lives there, the Dragon Den is near there, and the elders there in Crystal certainly seem to have authority over Claire AND to be in contact with Lance (in fact, it's entirely possible the elder seen in Crystal IS the elder of a clan of dragon master mentioned in FRLG, ie, Lance and Claire's grandfather)

They also apparently (in-game) have their "training ground" near the meteor falls caves in Hoenn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Ketsuban is not logged in

Uh, WTF? Misty's not a mermaid in Special. She was wearing a mermaid swimsuit. You know, like the one she has so often in the anime?

Blog Entries

It was Red not all there. She was never a mermaid or dressed like one.

I feel like Poomo tonight.

This thread isn't going at all in the direction I wanted it to. Either someone intervene, or close this thread.

My LiveJournal

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I don't think so.

I can understand frustration at a topic veering away from what you originally envisioned, but just because a topic doesn't go the way you originally wanted it to be doesn't mean it's bad enough for the board to justify closing it down.

For that, I see no reason for this topic to be closed at this point. You can certainly ask people to go back on what YOU thought should be the topic, but closing it if they fail to do so is well beyond what I'd consider reasonable action. The history topic veered to something completely different than what I imagined (debate on the origin of the pokémon world rather than discussion of what we do know regarding the past origin of pokémnon), but it should not be closed for it!
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 22nd June 2005 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

But the thing is, this topic seems to be just people shooting me down for thinking that Misty could transform into a mermaid. It's not even a debate.

This topic is about the pokemon world, not whether or not Misty has a fish tail.
    Last edited by Roses Ablaze; 22nd June 2005 at 06:38 PM.

My LiveJournal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast