Pokemon taxonomy: Is it a kingdom or a domain?

Thread: Pokemon taxonomy: Is it a kingdom or a domain?

The Psychic Bird-Dragon Latias Dita's Avatar

Default Pokemon taxonomy: Is it a kingdom or a domain?

One thing I've been wondering for some time now is whether Pokemon as a whole can be called a kingdom or even the more or less recent rank of domain. A domain is higher than a kingdom and there are two or three depending on who you ask (either Archaea, Eubacteria and Eukaryota or simply Prokaryota and Eukaryota). Pokemon seem to be different enough from animals that they would not be classified as part of the Animalia kingdom, but I'm not sure if Pokemon as a whole can be considered one kingdom.

The main reason I think this is because of Grass-type Pokemon, as well as the many inorganic Pokemon and Ghost-types. The cells of plants are different from animals, and likely Grass Pokemon cells are different from animal-like Pokemon. Perhaps they're different enough to be considered a different kingdom all together? What about Pokemon that seem to be both plants and animals, would they be a separate kingdom as well?

I personally think of Pokemon as a Domain. What makes Pokemon different from any other Domain is their ability to use special Moves as well as most Pokemon species' ability to undergo a rapid metamorphisis, or what we call "evolution". It is perhaps more related to the Doman Eukaryota (protists, plants, fungi and animals) than Archaea (very simple bacteria, believed to be among the vbery first lifeforms) or Eubacteria (most other bacteria), but it is it's own separate Domain. Biological classification is based on similarity in gentics as well as a common point of ancestroy. Since "all" Pokemon possibly descended from Mew (though I believe this is only regular Pokemon and perhaps some of the Legendaries),this is the common point for Pokemon.

Of course, trying to classify Pokemon using the taxony used for life in the real world can be tricky. For example what about the whole Pokemon being able to bred with other species so long as they are part of the same Egg Group? Being able to bred and produced viable offspring with each other is a big indicator of being part of the same species. Does this mean that all Pokemon of the same Egg Group are actually one species? If Pokemon biology were more like real life organisms, then Pokemon interbreeding would produce some form of hybridization rather than the baby being the same species as its mother. What do we make of this?

Well anyway, that's just my theory. What do the rest of you think?
    "Right. It's painful to be human sometimes"--Pyoro, Vandread.

Blog Entries

I would say it is a kingdom because of the many different species and types. For instance, since some other animals in real life in other phylum to make a new species.

I personally would think of them as a kingdom. The differences between plants and animals in pokemon are quite different, with the many of the same abilities and physiology possessed by both kinds. The divisions into domains are all based on fundamental differences at the cellular level. I believe that in this sense, Pokemon use the same basic structure as real-world eukaryotes, putting them firmly into the already established domain of Eukayota.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

In my freshmen year I had an extensive debate regarding this, and we concluded that Pokémon would recieve their own kingdom.

We also tried to classify them, but it proved to be a ridiculously difficult task.

don't like something? fix it. stop complaining about it.

Well, I'm not okay. Neverender_1862's Avatar
    I live in a world where darkness has gripped and killed all my friends. I live in a world full of despair and hopelessness. SAVE ME FROM THE DARK.
    Blog Entries

I tried to classify them, but found it erratic. Btw, I'd hazard a guess at kingdom.

Damn it's hard to correct.
    Kingdom Pokemon
    Egg Group Fairy/Field
    Type Electric
    Species Mouse
    Scientific Name: Electric Mouse (Pikachu)

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From the first volume of Electric Tale of Pikachu:

POKéMON--the name for a mysterious species not recorded in traditional biological taxonomies. Subspecies include animals, grass, insects, and a variety of other life forms. Due to similarities in genetic and cellular structure, they must be considered a single species.

Of course, that might only apply to that one series.

Blog Entries

I really don't think we can apply our current taxonomy to Pokemon considering that in the games, they seem to be able to interbreed with other species, but that's only in-game mechanics. Though there seems to be inter-species relationships suggested in the Anime multiple times.

It would probably be its own Kingdom under the domain Eukaryota. Though that brings into question of what the Pokerus is. However, if it is what its name suggests, and it is a virus, than biologically speaking, it is not a living organism (a cell being the the base of all living organisms, and a virus is merely DNA/RNA with a protein coat)

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi is n0t_0kay View Post
    I tried to classify them, but found it erratic. Btw, I'd hazard a guess at kingdom.

Kingdom Pokemon
    Egg Group Fairy/Field
    Type Electric
    Species Mouse
    Species would be its scientific name (I forgot what that two-name system is called ;-;)

Let's see if I remember bio:

Kingdom
    Phylum
    Order
    Family
    Genus
    Species

Well now there's domain on top of that list. Now I can't remember it as Kinky people often find good sex :(
    Last edited by The Outrage; 4th September 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi is n0t_0kay View Post
    Kingdom Pokemon
    Egg Group Fairy/Field
    Type Electric
    Species Mouse
    I was thinking about classifying Pokemon after this thread, but I completely forgot about egg groups. That really makes it hard to do, as they overlap with typing (which also overlaps with itself >_>)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    From the first volume of Electric Tale of Pikachu:

POKéMON--the name for a mysterious species not recorded in traditional biological taxonomies. Subspecies include animals, grass, insects, and a variety of other life forms. Due to similarities in genetic and cellular structure, they must be considered a single species.

Of course, that might only apply to that one series.
    Because of the interbreeding, this makes sense, though it really bothers me. There really should be multiple levels to pokemon classification.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage DD View Post
    Now I can't remember it as Kinky people often find good sex :(
    How about, "Dudes! Kinky people often find good sex!!" :)
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

You forgot about class. It's Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. Try "Dudes, kinky people can (for Class) often find good sex."

This year I'll be taking a serious Biology course. I'm going to bring up the issue of Pokémon to my teacher and see what he says on the subject!

And for the record, I'm totally stealing that DKPCOFGS memory device you've got there.

Above Kingdom, above Domain.

I think of it like this: There's Animal, Vegetable, Mineral...and then there's Pokemon. Since Pokemon can contain ALL of the other three, there's really only "Pokemon" and "non-Pokemon." All else is sub-classification.

That makes sense. *nods*