Pokemon Taxonomy
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Taxonomy

Proud U.S. Army Soldier! Agent Cobalt's Avatar

Default Pokemon Taxonomy

I've always loved science and I've always loved Pokemon. I've also never liked the way some pokemon were classified. I've been working on a little project to classify Pokemon based on real world taxonomy. Obviously Blastoise isn't a "shellfish" pokemon; it's a tortoise. Would anyone else be interested in classifying the Pokemon world? ^_^

I admit my chart here is a wee bit inaccurate as I neglected to include the "infra"s (infraorder, infraclass, et cetera), but overall I think it's coming along ok. I've started on one kingdom so far, Animalia (animals) and I've made it down to everything but Aves (birds) and Mammalia (mammals).

WARNING: HUGE IMAGE; WILL STRETCH SCREEN!

There's also the question of how to categorize things like the Charizard line. Are the lizards as the Japanese names insinuate? Amphibians -Salamanders- that are related to fire as per the old fire salamander myth? Is Charizard a winged salamander, or a dragon?

Speaking of dragons, I've been invigorated by Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real to classify pokemon based on dragons (not dragon-type pokemon). :p

Anyone wanna contribute? There are still some Pokemon that I need help with classifying that I've had to skip over or might need to redo. Not to mention all the new Gen V pokemon coming out!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Taxonomy

i think this is really well done, i think for mammals, it would be rather interesting, and remember to split off to monotremes for echidnas (cyndaquil), (and maybe platypus's for psyduck)

also what about ghosts like misdreavus, and things like magnemite where do they fit in

Blog Entries

I thought of making something like this for a biology project. I like the idea. Keep it up.
    Dinovolvin' since the Late Triassic

Okay, this is seriously awesome. :o
    Sorry to say that moral support is the only I can give. Great job on it so far and kudos for taking the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by isac View Post
    i think this is really well done, i think for mammals, it would be rather interesting, and remember to split off to monotremes for echidnas (cyndaquil), (and maybe platypus's for psyduck)

also what about ghosts like misdreavus, and things like magnemite where do they fit in
    I'm likely not going to include things like ghosts. Though I will classify them I can't really use usual taxonomy for them. Here's a rough outline of my ranking system-

I've updated the mollusk phylum to include Manaphy and Gen V-

Chobomaki-Agirudaa line: They're not clams, they're snails. The helmet was a snail shell. Considering everything, its characteristics lead to me classify it as a land snail rather than a sea slug.

Question to those who seek to get involved- Should Octillery even be here? It's a remora that becomes an octopus. A fish to a mollusc. Not even in the same phylum. So how should I do this? Is Remoraid a fish-looking larval/nymph stage of Octillery, or is Octillery an octopus-like fish?

The master of lulz █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄'s Avatar

Remoraid is a fish-looking larval/nymph stage of Octillery.

The adult form is always the true form.

Can't wait for you to do mammals.
    Thanks to Blazaking Ex for making this!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Now this is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄ View Post
    Remoraid is a fish-looking larval/nymph stage of Octillery.

The adult form is always the true form.
    Agreed on the adult stage representing the true creature. My only concern is odd instances like this, or split evolutions like with Eevee. I'm thinking for Eevee, it's evolutions are either mutants (the evolution stones are stated to emit radiation and Eevee has a fragile genetic code), or that Eevee isn't a specific animal but a synonym for cub, pup, et cetera. Vaporeon could be a pinniped and espeon a feline but their young resemble eachother. Dunno how that's going to work. I can't have 7 different species from one. In real life, other than hybrids, one species doesn't just change into another on demand whenever dictated, and eeveelutions are common.

I've updated the arthropod phylum to include Flygon an antlion, as well as Gen V: the ant, knight beetle, electric spider, hermit crab, leaf bug, and centipede.

LARGE IMAGE

Need help classifying the fire moth.

I've also updated the amphibian class of the phylum chordata. The new ground/water frog looks like a poisonous frog to me, not to mention its moves for poisoning, so I grouped him in the same family as Toxicroak, a poison dart frog. This may change as more details about Gamageroge's line come out.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt that Garchomp would have existed before the K/T event...
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Awesome graph. Hope it eventually graphs all pokemon.
    p.s. Lickilicky and Keckleon are neighbors! =D

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

So where does Gengar, Alakazam, Gardevoir and Wigglytuff belong?
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    I doubt that Garchomp would have existed before the K/T event...
    It is a longshot, however, they are dragons so it's all hypothetical to begin with. Half the dinosaurian pokemon around aren't fossil pokemon, but alive and well. Tropius and Meganium by all reasoning shouldn't be alive. Instead only two fossil pokemon have been dinosaurs, and that's the Cranidos line and Shiledon line. Omanyte was a mollusk, Aerodactyl was a pterosaur, Kabuto was an arthropod, Lileep an echinoderm, Anorith's a lobopod, and the new fossils are an exinct turtle and bird.

We've got ancient dinosaurs running around like the KT event never happened. In the Pokemon world who's to say, nothing is logical. How would you classify the Garchomp line?

Quote Originally Posted by cityvillain View Post
    So where does Gengar, Alakazam, Gardevoir and Wigglytuff belong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Cobalt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by isac View Post
    what about ghosts like misdreavus, and things like magnemite where do they fit in
    I'm likely not going to include things like ghosts. Though I will classify them I can't really use usual taxonomy for them. Here's a rough outline of my ranking system-

Ghosts like Gengar, unless they can be easily broken down into some grouping for taxonomy, like mammalia or something (Gengar's been said to look like a cat), I can't really do anything with it except just classify it as a ghost for now.

Alakazam is either going in the same tier as sirens (Jynx), Sasquatches and orges (Electirive's line) and other crazy shit, or it's going in with mammals like foxes I guess.

Gardevoir, at least it's first stage, always looked like a mushroom or some fungi/plant to me. However its psychic typing and usual identification as a child with a hat over its eyes would lead one to think it's a weird psychic being, so it too would fall under random mythical crap like Jynx. Unless a better case can be made.

Wigglytuff might be a rabbit/lagomorph or rodent of some kind. Its reliance on a moon stone to evolve would need to be clarified or it might just get thrown into the closet of doom full of fairies, pixies and lame shit like Jynx.

This is an attempt at taxonomy. While I know a good chunk about science, the classification of organisms, and so on, I can't do this alone. I posted this partly to show others what I thought was a neat idea, but also because I wanted opinions from others and for others to get involved in some respect as well. If you have ideas I do want to hear them. Anything.

While what you're doing is somewhat interesting, I don't really like your tone towards the "mythical" Pokémon with more fantastic designs as being "lame shit".

There's already a huge bias towards Pokémon that don't have a basis on a real organism.

I'd put Alakazam's line under the humanshaped group. The only thing that's vaguely fox-like its the shape of it's head. The body looks way to insectoid for a mammalian creature to have. Same goes for Gardevoir, although it might border on the "Unnatural" group.
    Last edited by PDL; 21st September 2010 at 11:06 PM.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    While what you're doing is somewhat interesting, I don't really like your tone towards the "mythical" Pokémon with more fantastic designs as being "lame shit".

There's already a huge bias towards Pokémon that don't have a basis on a real organism.
    That's sick. It's also kind of irrelevant. This is a taxonomy thread, nothing more. If I can't classify a pokemon, I can't classify it. What do you want me to do?

I can't make crap up and call Jynx a squid which I'm sure it's not, or I can call a spade a spade and classify it as a mythological creature such as a siren. It's not getting left out; it's just in a different tier.

I realize I'm the guy trying to apply real science to video game monsters, but come on dude, they're just cartoons; you don't need to get all defensive about it. Don't want to seem like I'm minimodding... so unless you, like, have a suggestion then I suggest this gets dropped.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    I'd put Alakazam's line under the humanshaped group. The only thing that's vaguely fox-like its the shape of it's head. The body looks way to insectoid for a mammalian creature to have. Same goes for Gardevoir, although it might border on the "Unnatural" group.
    Humanshaped is just something I included within Unnatural. Jynx is called the humanshape pokemon and there's an egg group for it as well. Though really I'd just say that by humanshape I mean humanesque, bipedal, unnatural pokemon that don't fit typical classification. So Alakazam and Gardevoir could fit there. I'd say Machamp would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Cobalt View Post
    That's sick. It's also kind of irrelevant. This is a taxonomy thread, nothing more. If I can't classify a pokemon, I can't classify it. What do you want me to do?
    There wasn't really a need to snap at me. I just didn't really like the unconscious insulting towards the creatures that didn't exactly fit with the project you're working on.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast