Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Won't be here too often! Insomniac's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Did you ever mispronounce any Pokemon name as a kid, or any age I should say? Until you heard of the official pronunciation, do you move on to the official pronunciation or not? Here is some:

Mienshao - Before hearing the official pronunciation, I often pronounce it as "Mee-EN-shao". The official pronunciation is MEEN-shao, but I kept on pronouncing it as "Mee-EN-shao" 'cause the official pronunciation sounds a little... mean? Same applies for Mienfoo.

Deino line - The following official pronunciations for the Deino line are "DY-noh", "ZVY-los" and "Hy-DRA-gahn". I on the other hand, before hearing the official pronunciation, referred them as "DAY-noh", "ZWAY-los" and "HY-dray-gone". I pronounce 'em my own way, though.

Virizion - I was a little ticked with the official pronunciation, 'cause it isn't the same as Cobalion and Terrakion. The official pronunciation is "Ver-RAI-zee-on" when I rather call it "Vi-RIH-zee-on".

Braviary - I used to call Braviary "Bray-Vai-ree", until I heard the official pronunciation via Pokedex 3D Pro. Unlike the others above, though, I moved on and stared to pronounce it's official pronunciation "Bray-vee-air-ree"

Now for the most idiotic one...

Articuno - To tell you the truth, I always thought that Articuno was pronounced "Art-cor-nee-oh" as a kid. Even though the announcer of Pokemon Stadium clearly pronounces it's correctly, I have always thought that he pronounces it as "Art-cor-nee-oh". I wasn't that great at listening at that time.
    My deviantART page

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Farfetch'd - I pronounced it then as "far-fetch-d" (phonetically) until I learned it is an apostrophe.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Suicune -
    Use to bug the hell out of people because I pronounced it SU-e-CU-NAI

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Off of the top of my head, a few of the ones mentioned here.

Deino as "DAY-no", Zweilous and "ZWEE-li-us", and Hydreigon as "Hi-DREE-gon". I figured I was pronouncing them wrong, but Deino looked so much like a "dino" that I couldn't help but say "DAY-no".

And I pronounced Suicune as "SOO-keen" for a long time. Really bad. And also Raikou as "RAI-koo".

The worst would probably be Rattata, which I always thought was called Rattattata until Mastermind of the Mirage when Jessie said Rattata and I was like, "Oh, is that what it is?"

Since english is not my mother language, I think I mispronounce them quite often (or cannot remember the right pronounciation).
    But Pichu I am used to mispronounce it even thought I've always known how is it pronounced, just because otherwise it would sound like a really offensive swearword in my language and it doesn't suit to a baby Pokémon :)

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Blog Entries

Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

Definitely didn't know about the Mienfoo/Mienshao thing, props for bringing that up.

Fact is, most Pokemon names are so punny I tend to pronounce it wrong and I don't care lol. Mightyena become Might-hyena, Cofagrigus becomes Coffin-gigas, Alomomola become Almomomomomola, Gorebyss become Grossby, Blaziken becomes Blazekin (Bley-za-kin,) Meganium becomes Magnum... But really it doesn't matter, lol I nickname all my pokes I never learn their real names.

Also Virizion ---> Verizon, cannot be unseen. In fact Verizon was the first thing I saw, and I don't even live in the States.

(Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Definitely didn't know about the Mienfoo/Mienshao thing, props for bringing that up.

Fact is, most Pokemon names are so punny I tend to pronounce it wrong and I don't care lol. Mightyena become Might-hyena, Cofagrigus becomes Coffin-gigas, Alomomola become Almomomomomola, Gorebyss become Grossby, Blaziken becomes Blazekin (Bley-za-kin,) Meganium becomes Magnum... But really it doesn't matter, lol I nickname all my pokes I never learn their real names.

Also Virizion ---> Verizon, cannot be unseen. In fact Verizon was the first thing I saw, and I don't even live in the States.
    I still sometimes call Virizion, "Verizon".

About Alomomola, that also reminds me: I also used to called Regigigas, "Regigigigigas". Though, I guess that's my own fault for failing to even try to read it properly.
    Xita likes this.

Blog Entries

Xerneas & Yveltal. I just don't even want to try pronouncing them.

And not a Pokemon, but I always pronounced Ghetsis as Get-Es.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Did anyone get Suicune right the first time?

Won't be here too often! Insomniac's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Yup, I pronounced Suicune's name right the first time I saw it.
    My deviantART page

Blog Entries

Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I still sometimes call Virizion, "Verizon".

About Alomomola, that also reminds me: I also used to called Regigigas, "Regigigigigas". Though, I guess that's my own fault for failing to even try to read it properly.
    So would that be "Reh-ji-ji-ji-ji-gi-gas" or "Reh-ji-gi-gi-gi-gi-gas?"
    or "Reh-jiggy-jiggy-jiggy-jiggy-gas" even? hahahahaaaa.....
    or "Reh-jiggy-jiggy-jiggy-ass"

(Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

Blog Entries

Well considering the anime and the voice on the Pokedex pro give different pronunciations for some pokemon, I'm not even sure if I'm saying a few of them right at this point.

Like is it RA-tuh-tah or ruh-TAH-tuh? Anime says the first, pokedex says the second.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

When I first saw Virizion's name, I used to always pronounce it Verizon since it was the only thing that came to mind when I saw it.
    Xita likes this.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Yup!

I used to pronounce Celebi as "KEL-eh-bee". The official pronunciation is "SEL-eh-bee".
    I pronounce Hydreigon as "Hy-DRAY-gon".
    Alomomola is a confusing jumble of sounds like "Alo-mo-mo-mo-mola" or "Al-mo-mola" or others. Too many syllables, you guys.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Illumise, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Darumaka (DA-rue-muh-KAH), Phione (fee-OWN), Raikou (RYE-koo), Banette (BAN-it), and Ariados (ARE-ee-AH-dos).
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast