Pokemon Mythological/Religious Connections

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dino435

Thread: Pokemon Mythological/Religious Connections

Default Pokemon Mythological/Religious Connections

Hello, I'm new to the Bulbagarden forums, and just thought that a fun idea for a thread is to list some Pokemon and the Mythical/Religious roots that inspired them. RULE (yes, only one, but all other standard forum rules apply): No getting into arguments about religion.
    Remember that these are all theories by what people believed inspired these Pokemon, so do not outright call someone incorrect about their claims, just reply with what you believe the Pokemon represents instead.

LUGIA & HO-OH/ DOVES IN NOAH's ARK:
    I believe Lugia and Ho-oh were inspired by the two doves sent out of Noah's ark at the end of the 40-day storm. My evidence to this theory is that the Pokedex says that when Lugia flaps it's wings, it creates forty-day storms, therefore Lugia represents the Storm. Then, Ho-oh represents after the storm, as a rainbow was made as a pact to never flood the Earth again.

GIRATINA/MYTHICAL SALAMANDER:
    While there are many theories out there that Giratina represents the devil, I think that he is actually representing several middle-eastern fantasy monsters, most noticeably, the basilisk and the salamander. The salamander is because magical salamanders were often said to have six legs, so that is obviously shown. His entire physiology represents the Basilisk, a form of serpentine dragon-like creation, which is what I believe his Origin form was exclusively based off of.

ARCEUS/EVERY CREATOR GOD:
    No need for explanation.

So...those are my ideas, now add some of yours! :)
    Saturnidae likes this.

Lis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Mythological/Religious Connections

It's interesting now, i was planning on doing this same post on my blog, but here's a wiki i about the deities in fiction that summarizes most of what i was going to say. It's informative-licious ^^

List of deities in fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(pokemon comes after digimon)

Lost in the digital world, but posting from Massachusetts.
    Blog Entries

There are a ton, from enough different faiths and mythologies that you'll have a heck of a time tracking them all down. Not all the legends have mythological influence, but a lot do, so start looking there.

Blog Entries

@dino435; I'm still thinking Giratina was based off the devil because if I remember correctly the devil took the form of a basilisk on occasion, and the Devils number is 666. Giratina has six legs, six wings, six neck ring things....
    URPG Floaroma Gym Leader!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Giraffe View Post
    @dino435; I'm still thinking Giratina was based off the devil because if I remember correctly the devil took the form of a basilisk on occasion, and the Devils number is 666. Giratina has six legs, six wings, six neck ring things....
    The Beast is not the devil, however Giratina could indeed be inspired by the number of the beast ^__^

~ Very proud claimer of Cradily ~

Everyone already knows this one, but Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza are likely inspired by the Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz from the Old Testament.