Pokemon Intelligence Question - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pokemon Intelligence Question

Blog Entries

Being able to see the future does not mean they are smart. Just because they can see it, does not mean they understand it.

Being able to posses people does not mean you are smart either.

All those traits you listed for Psychics and Ghosts as reasons to why they are smart are all false. Just because they have the ability to do those things does not mean they are smart. If I can read minds, it would not mean I am smart, even if I get 100% in all my tests. All it means is I am reading the minds of all the smart kids in class.

hm... Well, on the issue of ghosts, I always found them to be a bit like Boos in the Paper Mario Games. They clearly do show signs of intelligence, and in the original Paper Mario one Boo says something like "We Boos like to scare people for fun." (about Tubba Blubba) Also, in the ending credits for the game, It shows some Boos carrying around Tubba, and his soul/heart bouncing busily after.

But again, this has nothing to with proving what the ghosts are like, but it shows I what I think of them.

A man of science professer_prof's Avatar

OK my original theory was simple now lets take this more in depth. Depending on a pokemon's type, Psychic os most likely the smartest, Ghost follows close behind but in a different matter. Ghosts are more clever and use more unorthodox methods (ie torture, poisons) then Psychics, while Psychics have straight forward intelligence. Fighting types either lack a lot of intelligence or are on par with an average human but always are kind of arrogant. Then the rest of the types are most likely types are a bit more even with each other however they all have some sort of dominant trait (ie poison types being some what deceptive, dark types being mean, electric types being quick). As L has stated before bigger pokemon are probably less intelligent, with some exceptions. Tyranitar probably has a slightly below intelligence, but still some what smart, but as the pokedex says it some times goes on rampages which shows lack of control of emotions. However exact intelligence is based on several factors. These are: environment, surrounding pokemon, age, amount of battling experience, amount of life experiences, and human encounters.

i agree what professer prof said

Blog Entries

I don't. A fighting type being arrogant does not affect it's intelligence. Just because Psychic types can move objects with their mind does not mean they are intelligent.

He didn't really explain any reasons why. A Pokemon's personality does not indicate it's inteligence.

And I don't think i have said anything about large Pokemon being stupid. Infact I had defended Tyranitar's intelligence in the fact that it is a preditor. It needs to outsmart it's prey.

EDIT: What a waste of my 500th post :(
    Last edited by The Outrage; 29th August 2007 at 07:00 PM.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, the larger Pokemon being less intelligent just doesn't seem right. I mean, look at: Dragonite, Metagross, Deoxys, Mewtwo, Lapras

Dragonite is at least as smart as a human, as has already been pointed out. Ditto Metagross.

Deoxys certainly seems quite intelligent from it's actions in both Destiny Deoxys, and Pokemon Ranger: Deoxys Crisis!

Mewtwo is certainly intelligent, there is no disregarding that.

Some Lapras can use telepathy to communicate, and they certainly seem to have intelligence on at least the same level as a human.

its obvious that just as all species differ in intellect so will the pokemon.
    Proud PokeGirl Supporter!

I guess it's in the personality. My opinion is changed. If the Psychic in question is too arrogant to try to USE it's intelligence, if it does to begin with, then it's dumb for that reason of personality.

Pokemon, animals, humans. They all have the same I.Q.s in the beginning.

It's how they USE it that matters.
    I just love the air!

Quote Originally Posted by Vereux0 View Post
    *stares*
    ಠ_ಠ
    PSYCHOPATH

WHAT?!

Blog Entries

A Pokemon's personality has nothing to do with it's intelligence. An Alakazam can be as arrogant as it wants, it does not change the fact that it knows more than a Magikarp.

A Psychic Pokemon wouldn't be too arrogant to use its inteligenve. The reason it would be arrogant is because it is intelligent. By definition, arogance is this: feeling or showing self-importance and contempt or disregard for others.

It's how they USE it that matters
    They cannot use IQ. IQ is the measure of one's intelligence. How they use their intelligence also will not change how intelligent they are.

marksong.mod

Rhyhorn is dimwitted but its evolution Rhydon is said to be smart in the Pokedex because it can walk on two legs. Pokemon's intelligence can change during evolution. Say, Slowpoke towards Slowking for example.

Like real life, some animals are smarter/dumber than humans.

However, do not mistake lack of perception for lack of intelligence. An ant cannot perceive speech from a human being since it has not the equipment to do so. This doesn't make it dumb or inferior. Only less complicated.

Meowth is a smart cat!
    Can you design/create maps and sprites? I need you folks for my Pokemon project.

Blog Entries

SPeaking of Pokemon who can speak, in GSC, there is a talking Murkrow in Mahogany's Underground who tells you the password needed to reach the Electrode. Of course, this being team rocket, I just assumed it was a product of genetic engineering.

Alakazam's have IQ's of at least 600, I believe, but Donphan are'nt exactly the sharpest knives. It depends what pokémon you're talking about.

Blog Entries

It's 5000

marksong.mod

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    It's 5000
    Alakazam finds us worthwhile to co-operate with! Or at that IQ you do not need to be violent.

Shame he can't escape from his Pokeball!
    Can you design/create maps and sprites? I need you folks for my Pokemon project.

hasn't it been brought up in this or another thread that, while Foodin are intelligent, they (and nearly all other Pokemon) don't have the sense to strategize during a battle as well as they would with a human Trainer backing them? Really, while people do have varying levels of intelligence, the rate that we're capable of learning or adapting seems to vary from subject to subject regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    SPeaking of Pokemon who can speak, in GSC, there is a talking Murkrow in Mahogany's Underground who tells you the password needed to reach the Electrode. Of course, this being team rocket, I just assumed it was a product of genetic engineering.
    actually, I heard that real crows are capable of some mimicking. Also, it can learn Mirror Move through breeding (in Japan, Mirror Move is called おうむがえし "Oumu Gaeshi", or "Parrot Return"). In other words, it shouldn't take something as complex as genetic engineering to get a Yamikarasu to repeat a learned phrase.

BTW, since a couple posts have recently brought up how Saihorn and Donphan are supposedly dimwitted, I feel I should reiterate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    On the subject of a language barrier, I find it worth noting that pretty much every canon seems to imply humans and Pokemon don't have much trouble understanding one another (or at least the Pokemon can understand humans well). This is immediately apparent due to the fact that Pokemon can be commanded to use certain attacks, even if they were just caught (so there can't be any theories that they go through some strict training similar to getting a dog to obey commands... then again, maybe that theory can hold some ground if you take into account that many wild Pokemon only know a couple basic attacks, namely a simple tackle, and only learn more complex commands and abilities as the trainers level them).
    With that said, practically ALL Pokemon (even the seemingly lesser intelligent ones and newly-hatched babies, but possibly excluding those with a single attack like Unknown and Danbaru) have got enough sense to obey commands, and at a minimum are likely more intelligent than most real animals. This is a pretty prominent canon fact that shouldn't be denied.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123