Is Pokemon Getting Weird? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Let's be honest. The first truly unnecessarily weird character was Crasher Wake.

The first unnecessarily weird pokemon appears to be Exploud.

Black and White have their fair share of good designs (Chandelure as a personal example) but also their fair share of Crasher Wakes (Burgh) and Explouds (Krookodile)

Been here since gen 1 and honestly, each new gen brings a few awesome and novel pokemon and some disappointments. I love the new legendary dragons of gen V but ANYBODY who liked Bidoof and Bibarel from Gen !V has something wrong with them, they were ridiculous, badly designed, ugly pokemon. Zoroark is cool but it seems like they started its design pitch with, "Let's make a better Ditto..." Gurdurr and Conkledurr are just veiny, flabby Machoke and Machamp with clown noses. So many of the designs just seem redundant to me. We already had a Amphibian pokemon, we didn't need Seismitoad. It's not out of nostalgia, it's out of a need for something I HAVEN'T seen before.

Magneton and Dugtrio are weird so yes pokemon was always weird its just getting weirder

Add Link Snivy on Facebook Add Link Snivy on Google+
    Visit Link Snivy's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by CJStar22 View Post
    Been here since gen 1 and honestly, each new gen brings a few awesome and novel pokemon and some disappointments. I love the new legendary dragons of gen V but ANYBODY who liked Bidoof and Bibarel from Gen !V has something wrong with them, they were ridiculous, badly designed, ugly pokemon. Zoroark is cool but it seems like they started its design pitch with, "Let's make a better Ditto..." Gurdurr and Conkledurr are just veiny, flabby Machoke and Machamp with clown noses. So many of the designs just seem redundant to me. We already had a Amphibian pokemon, we didn't need Seismitoad. It's not out of nostalgia, it's out of a need for something I HAVEN'T seen before.
    not tryin to smart u out or anything, but black and white was a fresh start for pokemon and so they made new versions of pokemon from the past, seriously think of all the pokemon that r simular, alot of the pokemon r simular to black and white
    ones
    I AM NOW ADDICTED TO UGLY BETTY!!! I HAVE SEEN EVERY EPISODE AT LEAST FIVE TIMES AND TO THIS DAY IS THE ONLY SHOW THAT MADE ME CRY AT THE END....

I WILL NOT REST UNTIL THEY BRING THIS SHOW BACK...or at least make a movie out of it....

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW

*evil laugh*

Marukaite Chikyuu~ ShinySceptile1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But weird is why some of us still play the games, right?
    Proud Claimer of Natalya Arlovskaya, Tino Väinämöinen, and Lukas Bondevik from Hetalia~! (= ヮ=)೨

Registered User Spirit of the Moon's Avatar

I feel like we have to be careful not to be blinded by nostalgia, but we also can't be too quick to accuse people of being so just because they don't really like the newer generations.
    The people who are like: "GEN V SUCKS ALL THE POKEMON ARE UGLY GEN 1 IS THE ONLY GOOD ONE!" are annoying and really just not correct. Most people see that. But then there are also the people on the opposite end of the spectrum, " HOW CAN YOU LIKE GEN 1 THE GAMEPLAY WAS HORRIBLE! YOU ONLY LIKE IT CUZ OF NOSTALGIA!" I don't like that either. Sometimes people just really don't like the new stuff, plain and simple. Its all a matter of opinion and what people like. I personally played from the beginning and my favorite gen was gen 2. But I just love pokemon so I love each new game for what it brings, individually. Do I not like some of the Unova pokemon? Sure! But do I like some of the improvements made to the older games? Yes I do! My favorite game is Heartgold. Anyway, the point of this really long post is that you have to appreciate each new game for what it is, and respect people for what they like and don't like. And hey, its their loss if they don't want to play pokemon anymore!

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySeviper1 View Post
    I agree with this, but the weirdness is starting to get a bit about of hand. after gen IV I took a break and came back to pokemon such as cranks named klink and... candles??

Seriously...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwetwe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinySeviper1 View Post
    I agree with this, but the weirdness is starting to get a bit about of hand. after gen IV I took a break and came back to pokemon such as cranks named klink and... candles??

Seriously...
    We've had Magnets (Magnemite), Sentient Pokeballs (Voltorb), A whack a mole (Diglet) and a living pile of sludge (Grimer) among other ideas righr back in Gen I so yeah your complaint is invalid
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Trophies

Well with voltorb was created to serve as like a pokeball, which I think is more of a clever idea than a stupid pokemon.

I agree that other generations have had some silly pokemon, but it seems to of gone a bit over the top in this last generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Link Snivy View Post
    not tryin to smart u out or anything, but black and white was a fresh start for pokemon and so they made new versions of pokemon from the past, seriously think of all the pokemon that r simular, alot of the pokemon r simular to black and white
    ones
    No offense taken. That IS part of my point though, they had WAY too many reimaginings of old pokemon and not enough new, interesting, cool pokemon. Props to gamefreak on the legendaries though. They ALWAYS seem to be fresh and cool.

Now if they made a full 3d reboot that combines ALL regions and makes ALL pokemon available for catch or trade without transfer, THAT would be Le Epic.
    Link Snivy likes this.

[QUOTE=CJStar22;4212354]
    Quote Originally Posted by Link Snivy View Post
    Now if they made a full 3d reboot that combines ALL regions and makes ALL pokemon available for catch or trade without transfer, THAT would be Le Epic.
    The only problem with that is that when they make the next generation, they'll have to make another game such as that =P - Unless, of course, they decide to make it an online PC game that can be updated to include said features.

Quote Originally Posted by Otika View Post
    The only problem with that is that when they make the next generation, they'll have to make another game such as that =P - Unless, of course, they decide to make it an online PC game that can be updated to include said features.
    What I meant by "Without transfer" is, not having to hope your pokemon from old games can transfer over, transferring my HG mons to BW was such a pain.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bringing both topics of nostalgia and weirdness together Pokemon has always had its heavy doses of weird ever since the beginning, but most people were too enthralled with the novelty and newness of the first two generations to see it. Here's something to consider: did anyone in the entire history of existence ever imagine that a mon series would spawn one based on an alphabet? Personally I consider Unown to be the strangest idea for a Pokemon. I can see Pokemon like Magnemite and Vanilluxe created due to the established ideas about youkai and kami, but to me Unown comes right out of nowhere. No one really cared that much about it's origin because Unown was just a small piece of an expansion to the big fad of the time. It is utterly alien to me and I love it for that! Unown, a completely original idea that wasn't persecuted for being a new idea and adored by all fans.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Blog Entries

Considering this thread has been flooded by veterans, I think I'll give this a new perspective.

The first game I ever saw was Ruby and the first I ever played was Diamond. Because of this, everything in Gen IV seems completely normal and, because of extension and nostalgia, everything in the generations previous as well. Personally, Gen V posed a problem. I started to see parallels with the other games until I began having doubts as to whether I'd play the new games at all. The thing is, you can't look at it a fresh start to Pokemon, you gotta look at it as if none of the other games existed. Savor it. Because they put a lot of time in the plots and designs and names. You have to view it as a separate game in itself, not a part of the franchise.

Nostalgia is a brilliant thing to have, especially when playing the older games. Treat the new games with what they deserve. Novelty.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

...Manjoume-san-da!..... Jolty Febe's Avatar

...no....i like the new unova pokemon.....in my personal opinion(i've played silver and crystal, red, ruby and white version) white had the best storyline....in terms of Pokemon i like the best.....its really hard because each gen brought its own flavor....i mean hoenn pokemon look different from sinnoh pokemon, and even gliscor and hounchrow don't look like they're in the g/s/c style....
    .....I claimed Sandslash....7/27/12.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123