Pokemon fans need a second series! What do you think?

View Poll Results: Should there be an alternate series

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I like your idea.

1 14.29%
  • No.

5 71.43%
  • Yes, but I disagree with you completely.

1 14.29%

Thread: Pokemon fans need a second series! What do you think?

Default Pokemon fans need a second series! What do you think?

If this post is too long to read, just read the bold text! :)

I grew up with pokemon. I have a very deep love for it, and I tune in and out of the series over the years (I'll watch one generation, and skip the next, so on so forth.)
    I recently got back in to pokemon, and it got me thinking: We need a new series with important adaptations...

1) The series should be catered to western audiences, first and foremost. This means it should be animated with english in mind, and THEN dubbed in japanese. All of the regions and names can still be of asian origin, but having the plot and dialogue created in english would avoid silly dubbing mistakes and make the animation a bit more smooth for the western audiences! (By the west, I'm referring to the americas and europe btw.)

2) Raise the age of the target audience. For those of us that grew up on pokemon, and would still get into the series, some of the childish aspects of the current seasons are EXTREMELY unappealing. I'm getting old (I'm 22 now), but I can't be the only one. I would just ask that a series be made for mid-teens and young adults. I would argue that the current pokemon anime is geared towards people under the age of 13. Ash is 10 years old... Anyone else think he's an extremely unrealistic portrayal of any 10 year old? The show should revolve around a protagonist between 16 - 18 in my opinion, and should explore somewhat more mature themes.

*Not to mention there are several moments in the show where you can't help but facepalm; i.e. I remember a scene where Tracey crosses a river to save a charmander from falling in a river, and on his way back it looks like he's about to drop charmander. From the riverbank, mr mime uses psychic to carry them to safety, and then tracey returns charmander to his pokeball! When I was watching this, I thought mr mime could have easily just used psychic on charmander, it would have been easier than using it on tracey+charmander... or better yet, tracey could have called charmander back into his pokeball from the riverbank...

3) Improve the battles! The whole idea of pokemon battles would make for awesome fight scenes! But in it's current state, it makes no sense. It is extremely slow paced, and follows no logic at all. It's turn based, and all you have to do is tell your pokemon to dodge everything. Not too mention the pokemon strength's are so vague. A tepig can defeat and oshawott with ember, or sometimes electric type moves actually damage ground pokemon. There are plenty of good artists out there that can draw AMAZING fight scenes, and a real battle would be much more fast paced and exciting.

I think it's important as well not too stray too far off the beaten path. Many of the aspects of the original series should be kept in tact. Look at what they've done with Avatar! It is possible to create asian-style animation in the west without losing any of it's charm.

Default Re: Pokemon fans need a second series! What do you think?

Absolutely agreed! Then I'd actually watch the anime! Seriously, the games are way more mature than the anime. They need to match up better!
    My YouTube Vids (Pokémon White 2, Randomized Emerald and soon Platinum)

-Why don't use Pokémon who you like instead of powerful ones? You'll have fun in every battle and winning gives more satisfaction!

I wholeheartedly disagree. ._. Pokemon is made by GAME FREAK and works for Nintendo; both are Japanese companies. Believe me, after seeing the absolute "genius" that was Captain N, the 80s Zelda cartoon, and the Western Super Mario Bros AND Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons, I really don't trust a Western company to do Pokemon justice.

Pokemon is, and always will be, aimed at children. The supposed "childishness" of the anime is part of it's charm for me, and I wouldn't have the anime be any other way. If you want more 'dark/mature' themes, go read Pokemon Special. It's why I intensely dislike Pokemon Special, they try too hard to be "dark and edgy" with such stupid over-the-top plots. I can't let them live down evil!Elite 4 or evil!Pryce in my mind.

Additionally, "mature" things does not instantly make a show good. It just doesn't suit Pokemon at all. Satoshi is an audience surrogate, he's supposed to be "bland with a default personality". Unless I missed the memo where blood, sex, and violence is suddenly the height of maturity. :| An exaggeration, but it would still be a very stupid thing to do. Really now.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. ._. Pokemon is made by GAME FREAK and works for Nintendo; both are Japanese companies. Believe me, after seeing the absolute "genius" that was Captain N, the 80s Zelda cartoon, and the Western Super Mario Bros AND Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons, I really don't trust a Western company to do Pokemon justice.

Pokemon is, and always will be, aimed at children. The supposed "childishness" of the anime is part of it's charm for me, and I wouldn't have the anime be any other way. If you want more 'dark/mature' themes, go read Pokemon Special. It's why I intensely dislike Pokemon Special, they try too hard to be "dark and edgy" with such stupid over-the-top plots. I can't let them live down evil!Elite 4 or evil!Pryce in my mind.

Additionally, "mature" things does not instantly make a show good. It just doesn't suit Pokemon at all. Satoshi is an audience surrogate, he's supposed to be "bland with a default personality". Unless I missed the memo where blood, sex, and violence is suddenly the height of maturity. :| An exaggeration, but it would still be a very stupid thing to do. Really now.
    I understand your point, but there are a few flaws with that.

First, my suggestion isn't to go super dark and edgey, like batman did (although it did work.) Rather than go from one extreme to another, think of it in terms of a sliding scale.
    The maturity scale might be here right now:
    Childish ---|----------------------------------> Overly Dark

I want it to be here:
    Childish -----------|--------------------------> Overly dark.

And on the point of american companies not being trustworthy, I agree in the sense that if it's done badly, don't do it at all. But clearly, it can be done well with the right talent. Like mentioned before, look at avatar the last airbender. Clearly, this pokemon special you hate didn't do it well. They just went over the edge and tried to be gimmicky.

And lastly, I'm not advocating the use of sex, violence, and drugs in the anime. Just make it a bit less dopey....

I'd also like to add that everyone who's played the games should be onboard with a redesign of the anime.

Think about it. The games are well done, but the show can be quite mind numbing at times. The plot/dialogue is so basic: The formula is always the same... Essentially, there is no effort put into writing the show.

If I was forced to choose only one thing to change about the anime, it would be to improve the writing.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 1st November 2012 at 04:52 PM.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

If this is about the animé, then talk about it in the animé forum area.

I do think that the Pokémon games need reform, but I don't mean an edgier reform. I want a reform in the battle, make PokéSpe or Animé-style grand battles possible, and I wouldn't mind something like a Pokéstar Studios-style (optional) love story, but that's about it. Maybe throw in some actual moral ambiguity and/or communists. But do we need sex, drugs, and partisan politics (I wouldn't mind rock and roll)? No. And do we need westerners in charge? Probably not. And do we need an older character? Maybe, but BW is pretty good.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    If this is about the animé, then talk about it in the animé forum area.

I do think that the Pokémon games need reform, but I don't mean an edgier reform. I want a reform in the battle, make PokéSpe or Animé-style grand battles possible, and I wouldn't mind something like a Pokéstar Studios-style (optional) love story, but that's about it. Maybe throw in some actual moral ambiguity and/or communists. But do we need sex, drugs, and partisan politics (I wouldn't mind rock and roll)? No. And do we need westerners in charge? Probably not. And do we need an older character? Maybe, but BW is pretty good.
    It is mainly about the anime, but a series reboot/redesign or whatever you want to call it would affect the franchise as a whole. With a new set of protagonists and new storyline, you can either revisit old regions or introduce new ones and new pokemon (not in favor of this, I'd rather revisit old regions.)
    It could also mean a new set of games, although not necessarily.
    And of course, it does mean more merchandise.

P.s. I think for some material as mature as you are looking for would be a much more niche market. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, but for mainstream pokemon fans, which is what I would want, something that doesn't stray too far from the original would be best.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thane View Post
    having the plot and dialogue created in english would avoid silly dubbing mistakes and make the animation a bit more smooth for the western audiences! (By the west, I'm referring to the americas and europe btw.)
    You do realize that most of Europe doesn't speak English, right? So it would have to be dubbed anyway, thus rendering this an immense waste of time and money.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

This topic would be better suited for a blog.