Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

  1. #1
    Not a Dragon Wyvern_116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere in the Stratosphere
    Posts
    63

    Default Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Stemming from a conversation I had the other day with a friend about my Ruby team, which Pokemon did you not hate, but didn't really like that much? Personally, I just don't like Tropius all that much. A flying fruit-tree dinosaur...meh. I like that he can fly and all...but...meh.
    credit to Blazaking Ex for the banner

  2. #2
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Eevee, most of its evolutions and most ordinary dog- and cat-like Pokémon (I say most because I like Raikou and Espeon quite a lot). Don't get me wrong, I respect those Pokémon and the people who like them, but in a series that have weird and abstract stuff like doppelgangers, banshees, youkais, tengus, will-o-wisps, goblins, living dolls, living chandeliers, living sarcophagus, living swords, psychic stuff, giant alligators, bat dragons, giant fighting beetles ,etc... It is just hard for me to care about, say, Meowth, Flareon and similar Pokémon. Unpopular opinion, right? I know.
    Robo-Floatzel, Combusken and Yato like this.

  3. #3
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    There are a few Pokemon I consider to be "meh", like the Bidoof family, Furret, and most of the early rodent Pokemon (though I'm fine with Linoone and Watchog). I'm also not a big fan on plant-based Pokemon, since I prefer animal based Pokemon a lot more, though that doesn't nesicarrily mean I hate Grass types, far from, since Serperior is one of my favorite Pokemon, I mean ones like Oddish and Sunflora to be specific.

    Also, any Pokemon that has clothing as part of it's design just throws me off, such as Machoke, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Throh/Sawk, and most recently Sylveon. The reason is because it raises so many questions, such as "Is the clothing removable or is it part of their body? Where did they get these clothing?" and so on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Eevee, most of its evolutions and most ordinary dog- and cat-like Pokémon (I say most because I like Raikou and Espeon quite a lot). Don't get me wrong, I respect those Pokémon and the people who like them, but in a series that have weird and abstract stuff like doppelgangers, banshees, youkais, tengus, will-o-wisps, goblins, living dolls, living chandeliers, living sarcophagus, living swords, psychic stuff, giant alligators, bat dragons, giant fighting beetles ,etc... It is just hard for me to care about, say, Meowth, Flareon and similar Pokémon. Unpopular opinion, right? I know.
    I feel mostly the same about the Eeveelutions, I don't understand why they're so popular though, their designs and concepts are just too "basic" for my tastes, and while I love Vulpix and Ninetales despite their simplistic designs (and I have nothing against Pokemon with simple designs), I am referring to Pokemon that look more like normal animals than they do Pokemon. For instance, one Pokemon I think looks far too simple and basic is Fennekin, yes it's cute, but I think it could have a much better design, because I just think it looks too "normal" for a Pokemon.
    Argylegasm, Yato, Reila and 1 others like this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  4. #4
    Not a Dragon Wyvern_116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere in the Stratosphere
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Well I quite enjoy Pokemon with a simplistic design because they're so simple in front of giant Dragons and Fairies. It gives the game a certain feeling, having some giant battle ready monsters as well as small, cute, monsters that can still breathe fire but are more like Pets. I do agree on the Plant-based pokemon, though. Anyway, another pokemon I have to just "meh" at would be most of the regional birds' second evolutions. Swellow, Staravia, Tranquill...and now Talonflame.
    credit to Blazaking Ex for the banner

  5. #5
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Small and cute doesn't equal "simply" designed to me. There are small and cute Pokémon, like Jirachi and Celebi, that don't have excessively simple designs, to the point I would consider them "meh" like Eevee, Herdier and some others. That is just me, though. It is not like my favorite Pokémon are giant monsters, in fact, most of them have quite moderate heights, some are moderately cute as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I feel mostly the same about the Eeveelutions, I don't understand why they're so popular though, their designs and concepts are just too "basic" for my tastes, and while I love Vulpix and Ninetales despite their simplistic designs (and I have nothing against Pokemon with simple designs), I am referring to Pokemon that look more like normal animals than they do Pokemon. For instance, one Pokemon I think looks far too simple and basic is Fennekin, yes it's cute, but I think it could have a much better design, because I just think it looks too "normal" for a Pokemon.
    I feel that Eeveelutions are popular due to dogs and cats being the most popular animals in existence, but yeah, they look too "basic". Can't say the same about a nine-tailed golden fox, though, specially considering what Game Freak used as basis to create it (the Kitsune). I disagree about Fennekin, though. I think it has the right amount of detail for the base stage of a starter Pokémon. That said, I do think that its design is inferior compared to Chespin and Froakie's, it feels like "more of the same" to me.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

  6. #6
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Small and cute doesn't equal "simply" designed to me. There are small and cute Pokémon, like Jirachi and Celebi, that don't have excessively simple designs, to the point I would consider them "meh" like Eevee, Herdier and some others. That is just me, though. It is not like my favorite Pokémon are giant monsters, in fact, most of them have quite moderate heights, some are moderately cute as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I feel mostly the same about the Eeveelutions, I don't understand why they're so popular though, their designs and concepts are just too "basic" for my tastes, and while I love Vulpix and Ninetales despite their simplistic designs (and I have nothing against Pokemon with simple designs), I am referring to Pokemon that look more like normal animals than they do Pokemon. For instance, one Pokemon I think looks far too simple and basic is Fennekin, yes it's cute, but I think it could have a much better design, because I just think it looks too "normal" for a Pokemon.
    I feel that Eeveelutions are popular due to dogs and cats being the most popular animals in existence, but yeah, they look too "basic". Can't say the same about a nine-tailed golden fox, though, specially considering what Game Freak used as basis to create it (the Kitsune). I disagree about Fennekin, though. I think it has the right amount of detail for the base stage of a starter Pokémon. That said, I do think that its design is inferior compared to Chespin and Froakie's, it feels like "more of the same" to me.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think Eevee is only popular because it and it's evolutions are "ZOMG KAWAII", and I disagree with you on the dogs and cats part, since there are various dog-based (Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Lucario, etc.) and cat-based (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Liepard etc.) Pokemon, some which are popular among fans and others that are passable. I do agree with you on Fennekin and find it's design inferior to the other Kalos starters, though to be fair, I'm rather "mixed" on most of the revealed Gen 6 Pokemon, but my opinion on Fennekin might change once it's evolutions are revealed.
    Reila likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  7. #7
    Registered User RTLfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    I love their previous forms but these are totally MEH: Ivysaur, Venusaur, Meganium, and Sceptile

  8. #8
    is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cheaters anywhere
    Posts
    872
    Blog Entries
    18
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think Eevee is only popular because it and it's evolutions are "ZOMG KAWAII", and I disagree with you on the dogs and cats part, since there are various dog-based (Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Lucario, etc.) and cat-based (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Liepard etc.) Pokemon, some which are popular among fans and others that are passable. I do agree with you on Fennekin and find it's design inferior to the other Kalos starters, though to be fair, I'm rather "mixed" on most of the revealed Gen 6 Pokemon, but my opinion on Fennekin might change once it's evolutions are revealed.
    I don't think Lucario is a dog. He's a raccoon though. But I do think Zigzagoon as a dog-based Pokémon. Bulbapedia doesn't even state that Riolu is a dog, but a raccoon. However, they are based off Anubis, which has the head modeled after jackals which are canines.

  9. #9
    ♥ Grand Riser ♥ Silverwynde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Battle Maison
    Posts
    7,020
    Blog Entries
    102

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Staravia. To me, it's always been just "meh"--not that awful but not that great either. It's something about the design, really and I just have never liked it. I also find that odd, as I like Starly and Staraptor just fine.
    Wyvern_116 likes this.

    Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

  10. #10
    The Dictotter Argylegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    81
    Follow Argylegasm On Twitter

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    any Pokemon that has clothing as part of it's design just throws me off, such as Machoke, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Throh/Sawk, and most recently Sylveon. The reason is because it raises so many questions, such as "Is the clothing removable or is it part of their body? Where did they get these clothing?" and so on...
    This, one hundred times over. It irks me that they have clothing so very, very much, though Sylveon's flesh ribbons don't bother me nearly as much. But Throh and Sawk are so blatantly wearing robes.

    Maybe there is a tailor Pokémon that makes the outfits for all those clothed beasties.

    Also, Druddigon. The coloration, the design... just meh. I am really underwhelmed by that 'dragon'.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.
    Safari: Dragon | Gabite, Noibat, Sliggoo
    Pokémon X | FC: 4871-3955-6532 | Name: Brandon
    Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

  11. #11
    Not a Dragon Wyvern_116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere in the Stratosphere
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Argylegasm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    any Pokemon that has clothing as part of it's design just throws me off, such as Machoke, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Throh/Sawk, and most recently Sylveon. The reason is because it raises so many questions, such as "Is the clothing removable or is it part of their body? Where did they get these clothing?" and so on...
    This, one hundred times over. It irks me that they have clothing so very, very much, though Sylveon's flesh ribbons don't bother me nearly as much. But Throh and Sawk are so blatantly wearing robes.

    Maybe there is a tailor Pokémon that makes the outfits for all those clothed beasties.

    Also, Druddigon. The coloration, the design... just meh. I am really underwhelmed by that 'dragon'.
    Methinks that "Tailor" Pokemon, would likely be Leavanny. I also agree with Druddigon. A very lackluster dragon type. All of the potential that comes with being a dragon wasted on a spiky little dinosaur.
    credit to Blazaking Ex for the banner

  12. #12
    The Dictotter Argylegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    81
    Follow Argylegasm On Twitter

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern_116 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylegasm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    any Pokemon that has clothing as part of it's design just throws me off, such as Machoke, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Throh/Sawk, and most recently Sylveon. The reason is because it raises so many questions, such as "Is the clothing removable or is it part of their body? Where did they get these clothing?" and so on...
    This, one hundred times over. It irks me that they have clothing so very, very much, though Sylveon's flesh ribbons don't bother me nearly as much. But Throh and Sawk are so blatantly wearing robes.

    Maybe there is a tailor Pokémon that makes the outfits for all those clothed beasties.

    Also, Druddigon. The coloration, the design... just meh. I am really underwhelmed by that 'dragon'.
    Methinks that "Tailor" Pokemon, would likely be Leavanny. I also agree with Druddigon. A very lackluster dragon type. All of the potential that comes with being a dragon wasted on a spiky little dinosaur.
    Oh, Leavanny. That little bugger evaded my train of thought.

    On a different note of 'meh', but Voltorb and Electrode. Maybe it's because I've always kinda hated them, but seriously. I just... don't see anything likeable about them. Nothing to even comment on.
    Robo-Floatzel and Jenneta like this.
    Safari: Dragon | Gabite, Noibat, Sliggoo
    Pokémon X | FC: 4871-3955-6532 | Name: Brandon
    Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

  13. #13
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Shadow Minun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think Eevee is only popular because it and it's evolutions are "ZOMG KAWAII", and I disagree with you on the dogs and cats part, since there are various dog-based (Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Lucario, etc.) and cat-based (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Liepard etc.) Pokemon, some which are popular among fans and others that are passable. I do agree with you on Fennekin and find it's design inferior to the other Kalos starters, though to be fair, I'm rather "mixed" on most of the revealed Gen 6 Pokemon, but my opinion on Fennekin might change once it's evolutions are revealed.
    I don't think Lucario is a dog. He's a raccoon though. But I do think Zigzagoon as a dog-based Pokémon. Bulbapedia doesn't even state that Riolu is a dog, but a raccoon. However, they are based off Anubis, which has the head modeled after jackals which are canines.
    In what way is Lucario a raccoon, it doesn't even look or act like one to me, and I never considered them despite the masks. Not to mention raccoons are not the only animal that has a "mask", ferrets can also have them as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Argylegasm View Post
    On a different note of 'meh', but Voltorb and Electrode. Maybe it's because I've always kinda hated them, but seriously. I just... don't see anything likeable about them. Nothing to even comment on.
    I feel the same about them, I mean really, it's just a Pokeball with eyes, what's so interesting about that? While I read on TV Tropes that Voltorb is supposed to be a "mimic chest" type enemy that is to menace the player when they pick up item balls, but they just seem out of place, not to mention that Electrode is Just Voltorb flipped upside-down, which is the reason I consider that line to be the most unoriginal Pokemon concept in the franchise.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  14. #14
    Der Kaiser Hitmonchan107's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Titan Towers
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Shadow Minun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think Eevee is only popular because it and it's evolutions are "ZOMG KAWAII", and I disagree with you on the dogs and cats part, since there are various dog-based (Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Lucario, etc.) and cat-based (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Liepard etc.) Pokemon, some which are popular among fans and others that are passable. I do agree with you on Fennekin and find it's design inferior to the other Kalos starters, though to be fair, I'm rather "mixed" on most of the revealed Gen 6 Pokemon, but my opinion on Fennekin might change once it's evolutions are revealed.
    I don't think Lucario is a dog. He's a raccoon though. But I do think Zigzagoon as a dog-based Pokémon. Bulbapedia doesn't even state that Riolu is a dog, but a raccoon. However, they are based off Anubis, which has the head modeled after jackals which are canines.
    In what way is Lucario a raccoon, it doesn't even look or act like one to me, and I never considered them despite the masks. Not to mention raccoons are not the only animal that has a "mask", ferrets can also have them as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Argylegasm View Post
    On a different note of 'meh', but Voltorb and Electrode. Maybe it's because I've always kinda hated them, but seriously. I just... don't see anything likeable about them. Nothing to even comment on.
    I feel the same about them, I mean really, it's just a Pokeball with eyes, what's so interesting about that? While I read on TV Tropes that Voltorb is supposed to be a "mimic chest" type enemy that is to menace the player when they pick up item balls, but they just seem out of place, not to mention that Electrode is Just Voltorb flipped upside-down, which is the reason I consider that line to be the most unoriginal Pokemon concept in the franchise.
    Usually I cut some slack for the 1st Generation Pokemon but this is not the case. I never liked the creation of both Pokemon, they seemed so uncreative even by RBY standards. They're only known for two things anyway: their Self-Destruct/Explosion moves, and that they assume the guise of an item in the overworld to befuddle the player until it's too late and you hear their cries.

  15. #15
    The Dictotter Argylegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    81
    Follow Argylegasm On Twitter

    Default Re: Which Pokemon do you think were too "Meh"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitmonchan107 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylegasm View Post
    On a different note of 'meh', but Voltorb and Electrode. Maybe it's because I've always kinda hated them, but seriously. I just... don't see anything likeable about them. Nothing to even comment on.
    I feel the same about them, I mean really, it's just a Pokeball with eyes, what's so interesting about that? While I read on TV Tropes that Voltorb is supposed to be a "mimic chest" type enemy that is to menace the player when they pick up item balls, but they just seem out of place, not to mention that Electrode is Just Voltorb flipped upside-down, which is the reason I consider that line to be the most unoriginal Pokemon concept in the franchise.
    Usually I cut some slack for the 1st Generation Pokemon but this is not the case. I never liked the creation of both Pokemon, they seemed so uncreative even by RBY standards. They're only known for two things anyway: their Self-Destruct/Explosion moves, and that they assume the guise of an item in the overworld to befuddle the player until it's too late and you hear their cries.
    Man, I had forgotten about that overworld 'use'. It's been so long since I played a Kanto-based game. I ought to remedy that.

    So if we're cutting Gen1 some slack, Grimer and Muk? They're so similar in design and simplistic and yadda yadda... but somehow I find Grimer cute. Muk I think is meh, though.
    Safari: Dragon | Gabite, Noibat, Sliggoo
    Pokémon X | FC: 4871-3955-6532 | Name: Brandon
    Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •