Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pokemon that could be other types

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Default Pokemon that could be other types

What existing Pokemon do you think could be mistaken for a different type than they are?

The biggest factor would of course be the appearance itself of the Pokemon, but also other factors such as moves it can learn, Pokedex entries, Egg Groups and other things.

Some example that come to my mind are:

Golduck - Water/Psychic (It learns a lot of Psychic moves and I was convinced it was actually part-Psychic when I was younger.)

Flygon - Dragon/Bug (It's very bug-like in its appearance and it's in the Bug Egg Group.)

Shelmet - Bug/Steel (I was quite surprised when I realized that it wasn't part Steel type, especially since Karrablast gains that type when evolving upon receiving Shelmet's shell.)

Lugia - Water/Psychic or Water/Flying (I always thought of Lugia as a Water Type and kept forgetting whether it was Psychic or Flying. This might have been because of the second Pokemon movie where it dwelt under the sea and all the references to the sea in its 'dex entries.)

So, any other ideas? What Pokémon do think could be mistaken as belonging to different type? Or are there any Pokémon you're convinced should be another type than they are?

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: Pokemon that could be other types

I actually think Lugia could be a Dragon type based on appearance, even though it's considered a bird, it looks very dragon like, in that case Id say it could be Dragon/Water or Water/Flying. It always seemed more of a Water type than a Psychic type anyway.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Black Kyurem- Ice/Electric or Dragon/Electric (self explanatory)
    White Kyurem- Ice/Fire or Dragon/Fire (self explanatory)
    Seismitoad- Water/Poison (it learns several Poison type moves and even has a Poison themed ability)
    Charizard- Fire/Dragon (and it totally would've had it not been a starter)
    Huntail- Water/Dark (can learn several Dark type moves)
    Gorebyss- Water/Psychic (can learn several Psychic type moves)
    BadAssGardevoir likes this.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

i think drudiggon could've been rock/dragon

Drowzee and Hypno - Dark, just because there's no dark types native to Kanto and it irritates the heck out of me, but it does fit with their theme of sleep and eating dreams.

It's odd but whenever I see drudiggon, I can't help think that it's 'wings' remind me of Holly leaves or something like that.
    So I always thought it'd been cool if it was a Plant or Poison type. Dragon/Plant or Dragon/Poison would of been something new.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I used to think Lugia was Water/Flying because it was living in the Whirl Islands, and it is the guardian of the seas. Lugia's counterpart Ho-Oh is Fire/Flying. So...

Visit Water-noctowl's Youtube Channel

Seviper- Poison/Dark as it just seems to fit the dark type.
    If you believe in the flying spaghetti monster post this in your sig. Don't just ignore this because he says if you deny me I will deny you in front of the beer volcano.

Octillery Water/Poison
    Dustox Bug/Psychic (instead of Poison)
    Azurill Water (not Normal)
    Luxray Electric/Dark (We need this combination and Luxray was the perfect one for it)

Blog Entries

Emboar could've been Fire/Dark, since it kind of reminds me of Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Would've been a lot better than being the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon. :\

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

If it weren't for its poisonous nature, Toxicroak would have totally been part Dark type. I always liked how it was the first underhanded Fighting type, dispelling the idea that all Fighting types are honourable and fight fairly.

Conversely, I think Absol should have been a Psychic or Ghost type. I still can't see any reason why it should be a Dark type, it's a strange anomaly in a type that is consistently defined by specific behavioural traits. Perhaps it was originally conceived as actually causing disasters, but remade into a benevolent teller of Cassandra truths as an afterthought.
    CorpseFlower likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GatoRage View Post
    What existing Pokemon do you think could be mistaken for a different type than they are?

The biggest factor would of course be the appearance itself of the Pokemon, but also other factors such as moves it can learn, Pokedex entries, Egg Groups and other things.

Some example that come to my mind are:

Golduck - Water/Psychic (It learns a lot of Psychic moves and I was convinced it was actually part-Psychic when I was younger.)

Flygon - Dragon/Bug (It's very bug-like in its appearance and it's in the Bug Egg Group.)

Shelmet - Bug/Steel (I was quite surprised when I realized that it wasn't part Steel type, especially since Karrablast gains that type when evolving upon receiving Shelmet's shell.)

Lugia - Water/Psychic or Water/Flying (I always thought of Lugia as a Water Type and kept forgetting whether it was Psychic or Flying. This might have been because of the second Pokemon movie where it dwelt under the sea and all the references to the sea in its 'dex entries.)

So, any other ideas? What Pokémon do think could be mistaken as belonging to different type? Or are there any Pokémon you're convinced should be another type than they are?
    About Shellmet, first I thought that it would be weird for a pokemon to lose a secondary type by evolution, but then i remembered Gloom->Bellossom.
    Gothita line may be dark, IMO
    3DS-FC: 0490-4967-8538
    My Safari: Psychic, with Abra, Espurr & Gothorita
    ING: Pablo.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by pastafari View Post
    Gothita line may be dark, IMO
    Why? They seem pretty benevolent (if a little eerie), judging from their Pokedex entries. There's nothing inherently bad about foretelling death.
    EDIT: Scratch that, it seems Gothorita enjoys using hypnosis to control children and lead them astray for it's own amusement. That's definitely Dark type material.

On another note, I'm still surprised Cofagrigus wasn't Ghost/Steel. From the time it was revealed in pre-release, I think everyone assumed that it would be.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 30th March 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Staraptor- Fighting/Flying

Charizard- Fire/Dragon

Hoothoot and Noctowl- Psychic/Flying

Dunsparce- Ground or Normal/Ground

Tynamo, Eelektrik, and Eelektross- Electric/Water

Granbull, Ursaring, Kangaskhan, Zangoose, Aipom, and Ambipom- Normal/Fighting

Misdreavus and Mismagius- Ghost/Psychic

Pinsir and Accelgor- Bug/Fighting

Stantler- Psychic

Suicune- Ice

Lugia- Dragon/Water

Sceptile- Grass/Dragon

Volbeat and Illumise- Bug/Electric

Seviper- Poison/Dark

Chingling and Chimecho- Ghost

Dusclops and Dusknoir- Ghost/Fighting

Glalie- Ice/Rock
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Emboar could've been Fire/Dark, since it kind of reminds me of Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Would've been a lot better than being the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon. :\
    It looks more Ganon from Twilight Princess, to be more accurate. But considering the basis they used for Emboar, yep, it could have been a Fire/Dark Pokémon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast