Which Pokemon continuity is the best?

Thread: Which Pokemon continuity is the best?

Default Which Pokemon continuity is the best?

Pokemon, being the massive franchise it is, has a whole bunch of stories, continuities, and different universes under it. Which one would you say is the most credible/realistic/best or whatever? I know most people cite the anime the most in most discussions, since the anime is the most accessible and famous Pokemon story, but I like the Special verse the best myself.

my sweet lord... Swampert tamer's Avatar

In my opinion, the anime, the manga and the games show their own interprtations of the pokemon world, with a lot of things in common and with also a lot of different aspects, sometimes contraditory, that distinguish them.

I feel that the most credible interpretation is the manga (Pokemon Special/Adventures is the only manga series I'm familiar with) because I feel that it has something that the anime doesn't have: for some reason, it seems to me that the anime tries to show the pokemon world has a paradise world where human and pokemon live together (where most times) there are no criminals, no lonatics trying to rule the world, no wars, etc.

Well, the manga shows that the connection between pokemon and humans may not lead to a perfect world, since in Pokemon Special pokemon are used to destroy cities, with their trainers trying to rule the world, (and even the idea of a world without the human race comes into the story), so that only a certain type of human beings should live with all the others being exterminated, something like a lunatic dictator would have though of.

I also like the manga because in the games your character doesn't seem to have a very different personality between each game while in the manga, every protagonist has it's own characteristics and their own sentences.

When it comes to the legendary pokemon, however, I feel that the pokemon anime (and the movies, particularly) show quite well how these beings behave and how important they are for the world of pokemon, being, most of them treated like gods while in the manga and games they "try" to be useful tools for humans.
    Last edited by Swampert tamer; 25th May 2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Since everyone these days has one of these, I'm going to put mine too...

On a funny note, I made this personality test on 3 different ocasions and the pokemon I got every single time was Togetic so this can't be very wrong...

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

I like Pokemon Special, but I think all the manga move a little too fast to be realistic for anything. (By that I mean, it takes one day of training to make a pokemon super strong, they move from city to city getting badges faster than people playing the games can, and everything fells an opponent in one hit) This is pretty much true with all the manga.

The Anime... it's kind of completely unrealistic and realistic at the same time. For some reason, it isn't a world I'd want to live in either... it seems more boring for some reason than the games, but I like the freedom the anime gives and I think that is probably the best one. Maybe a mix of the anime and the games, but that's what I think

Blog Entries

I like the games better because its more open to interpretation.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Special and the anime have the best settings, but I think the best presentation of the setting was in How I Became A Pokemon Card, because it shows us how everyday people live daily lives with pokémon. Some are heroes, some are villians (or will become one someday in the case of a certain Persian trainer), but most of them are average people like you and me. And some of them aren't even people--it shows how wild pokémon interact with humans as well (the Grimer who wants to be human, the Politoad transfixed by the shrine maiden, etc).

Possibly the most interesting setting is in Mystery Dungeon. They know about humans, but the only ones we see were turned into pokémon. Yet there's clearly human settings, labs and the like. Where did they come from? Where did the humans go? It's a shame the games didn't explore this (or at least not the first games, haven't played the second).

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

It's because it was like Animal Farm, but on a mass pokemon scale. It also explains why the pokemon keep going berserk.