Pokemon Classification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pokemon Classification

Add Gudon44 on Google+
    Visit Gudon44's Youtube Channel

Default Pokemon Classification

WHAT HAVE I DONE??? Here's an incomplete classification of some Pokemon from generations 1-6. Agree or disagree as you please.
    Edited after suggestions from Saturniidae, Reggiesteel, and Jabberwocky
    MAMMALS

BIRDS

REPTILES

SYNAPSIDS

AMPHIBIANS

FISH

ARTHROPODS

MOLLUSCS

OTHER INVERTEBRATES

PROTISTS

FUNGI

VIRUSES
    Last edited by Gudon44; 7th April 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Classification

Wow, not sure what to think. I like it though.
    Gudon44 likes this.
    I love cats and all things cute!
    With that said, let's all cheer for our favorite cat Pokemon!

X Friend Safari: Abra, Espurr, and Duosion

*Image not create by me.

Blog Entries

Can you explain why you put Onix and Steelix in with the amphibians and not with Serpentes?

Add Gudon44 on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Can you explain why you put Onix and Steelix in with the amphibians and not with Serpentes?
    Giant snake-like creatures that burrow through the ground. I was reminded of Minhocao, which is a giant snake-like thing from Brazilian folklore that burrows through the ground. Minhocao is sometimes argued to be a giant caecilian (which is a type of legless amphibian), so in Amphibia they go. Most snakes don't burrow, by the way.

Blog Entries

^But Onix and Steelix are called the "Rock Snake" and "Iron Snake" Pokemon. Their designs were based on serpents or earthworms or wyrms. And since amphibians live on land and water, it's sort of weird to put the Onix line in that category. Not that this list isn't impressive, but I just don't see that fitting.

And why is Rotom in the Virus category? I wouldn't necessarily say it's a virus of any sort.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Onix and Steelix are consistently described as snakes, so I don't think grouping them with the caecilians is accurate, although I absolutely see your reasoning for doing so. This list also places too much emphasis on evolutionary lineage, IMO - Remoraid should be classified under family Echeneidae to be accurate, regardless of the fact that it evolves into Octillery (which is due to the gun -> cannon visual gag rather than anything biologically significant).

Still, this is a good list. Props.

Add Gudon44 on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    And why is Rotom in the Virus category? I wouldn't necessarily say it's a virus of any sort.
    Rotom's general structure brought to mind the T4 virus, and how it "infects" appliances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Remoraid should be classified under family Echeneidae to be accurate, regardless of the fact that it evolves into Octillery (which is due to the gun -> cannon visual gag rather than anything biologically significant).
    Unless Remoraid is a really, really weird juvenile cephalopod that imitates a fish, I agree with you. Allow me to edit the list.
    Saturnidae likes this.

Actually, there is a biological link between Remoraid and Octillery. Remoraid is based on a remora, a fish with a suction cup on its back to stick to whales and manta rays and eat bits of food that escape the host's gaping mouth. Therefore it makes quite some sense that it should evolve into another marine animal which has more suction cups: an octopus :)

Remoraid should still be in a different group than Octillery though, but I see that's been taken care of already
    Gudon44 likes this.
    Proud claimer of Level Ball, [COLOR="#FF0000"]Houndoominite[/COLOR], Shy Guy, Jude Sharp,
    Forretress and Drill Run!
    FC: 3909-8738-0113 / IGN: Thijs / FS: ICE; Snover, Bergmite, Dewgong

Add Gudon44 on Google+

The Onix/Steelix as caecilians shouldn't be the thing you guys get worked up against - look through, there are more classifications that make even less sense (for example, pliosaur Wailord)

Worked on Gens. 5-6
    Last edited by winstein; 8th April 2014 at 06:16 AM.
    Saturnidae likes this.

Since when was mareep a reptile? And also, where are ralts & co? They deserve a place on this list.
    reynard likes this.

My 3DS: 5386-8268-6024, Philippa. (Flip on system)
    Black 2: 3054-1604-2069 Flip
    White: 1334-7550-4803 Marina
    Vivillion pattern: common old garden. I know... Boring, right?
    Friend safari: Ghost - Phantump , Shuppet & Dusclops

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flipgbh View Post
    Since when was mareep a reptile? And also, where are ralts & co? They deserve a place on this list.
    Agreed. Mareep and its line are based on a sheep, so it is clearly mammalian. Also, Zorua and Zoroark (or Zoroark is anyway), but they are clearly based on foxes, and so they should belong with the other vulpine Pokemon.

Add Gudon44 on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipgbh View Post
    Agreed. Mareep and its line are based on a sheep, so it is clearly mammalian. Also, Zorua and Zoroark (or Zoroark is anyway), but they are clearly based on foxes, and so they should belong with the other vulpine Pokemon.
    Since when are sheep bipedal and/or have long tails? Ampharos seems to be either a kangaroo or an ornithopod. As small ornithopod dinosaurs are now thought to have had primitive feather-like coverings, I grouped Ampharos with them - Mareep/Flaaffy's "wool" is made of downy protofeathers. Plus, Denryu also means "electric dragon" and Mega Ampharos is dragon-typed. And now that I look at Ampharos, its head looks rather beak-like. Refer to this DeviantArt picture for another interpretation of Ampharos as a bipedal herbivorous dinosaur.

Ralts's line seems too humanoid and/or of ambiguous origin - the best I could come up for Gardevoir is some form of jellyfish. And a transition to bipedality is unlikely to evolve twice in canines, so I grouped all bipedal canines together in one clade that evolved to be bipedal.
    Claimer of Archeops, Metal Sound, the Jaw Fossil, and Garchompite

This looks great! You really outdid yourself on this one! I'm kind of curious where you are going to put the super humanoid-looking Pokemon like Mr. Mime and Jynx, since they are technically based off of mammals (humans are mammals). I am also curious about the inanimate object Pokemon. Now you got me interested. :D
    Gudon44 likes this.
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

Add Gudon44 on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by snowlioness87 View Post
    I'm kind of curious where you are going to put the super humanoid-looking Pokemon like Mr. Mime and Jynx, since they are technically based off of mammals (humans are mammals). I am also curious about the inanimate object Pokemon.
    The super-humanoid pokemon are hard to do, they were probably the worst. Mr. Mime's "fingers" remind me of a tarsier's toes. Jynx is probably a gorilla-like animal. The best I could think of for Gardevoir is some form of jellyfish or squid.

The inanimate objects... hoo boy. A lot look radial in appearance, so possibly cephalopods, jellyfish, or graptolites. Chandelure's line looks like a cephalopod of sorts, Vanillite a jellyfish (with the "cone" being the tentacles), and Cofagrigus possibly a graptolite or siphonophore. Klinklang's line... oh man.
    Last edited by Gudon44; 21st March 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Claimer of Archeops, Metal Sound, the Jaw Fossil, and Garchompite

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gudon44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlioness87 View Post
    I'm kind of curious where you are going to put the super humanoid-looking Pokemon like Mr. Mime and Jynx, since they are technically based off of mammals (humans are mammals). I am also curious about the inanimate object Pokemon.
    The super-humanoid pokemon are hard to do, they were probably the worst. Mr. Mime's "fingers" remind me of a tarsier's toes. Jynx is probably a gorilla-like animal. The best I could think of for Gardevoir is some form of jellyfish or squid.

The inanimate objects... hoo boy. A lot look radial in appearance, so possibly cephalopods, jellyfish, or graptolites. Chandelure's line looks like a cephalopod of sorts, Vanillite a jellyfish (with the "cone" being the tentacles), and Cofagrigus possibly a graptolite or siphonophore. Klinklang's line... oh man.
    So, focusing on Chandelure here. I don't necessarily think the *shape* of it is important. It's clearly a ghost possessing a chandelier. It just happens that this species of ghost has developed abilities that pair nicely with the chandelier's separate arms that hold energy.

Banette is even directly stated to be this: a spirit that possesses a doll. The spirit itself isn't a doll, so the shape of the doll doesn't really have any bearing on its species classification.

Ghosts are hard for this reason. Maybe you can't really classify them.
    Gudon44 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast