Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right... - Page 2

View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I fully agree, Pokémon shouldn't be E with this in it!

4 8.33%
  • I slightly agree, it may contain these mature things, but it's still a child's game.

19 39.58%
  • I disagree, these things don't matter, Pokémon is child friendly!

23 47.92%
  • No opinion

2 4.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

It's not as bad as you make it out to be. D: When I was 10 I barely noticed that there was a murder, all I saw was a scary ghost and I wanted to "kill" it. Playing FireRed again, when I was 15, I realized it then. The kids will notice it when they get older and think "OH GOD". But when they're carefree and young and just want to get on with the battle with the big bad Black/White Kyurem, they'll mash that A-button.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Nah, little kids are ignorant, they won't pay attention to the plot at all. Their ignorance will protect them from the violence...

Quote Originally Posted by Floris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Well, why don't we take a look at the general definition for an E rating from the ESRB website:

Content is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.
    I'd say an E rating is pretty accurate. It sounds like you weren't aware of what exactly the criteria is for an E rating.
    Umm.. Mild Violence? Ghetsis attempts to murder you...

Also, the ghost things are often overlooked. Lots of children can be quite scared of that stuff (personal experience).

Another thing: A lot of Pokédex entries mainly focus on the creepy, sad, scary, violent and deadly aspects of the Pokémon, even I get creeped out by them!
    and they don't read Pokédex entries.
    Last edited by Vanillish Twilight; 3rd November 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

*facepalm* I shouldn't have read this... now I'm spoilered with B2W2 details that would've been better kept a secret... :(

Anyways, I think they did a good job in including those themes because it actually shows that E-rated games aren't all sunshines and rainbows with smiley faces all over the place. I refuse to accept that Pokemon is a "child's game" but a "game for everyone". I know I voted the first option, but discard that. I voted wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Ignoring the Black 2 / White 2 stuff (because I haven't played it yet), nearly all that stuff falls into one of 2 categories:
    - implicit references - this is the stuff like Mewtwo killing all those people / Ghetsis abusing N which are somewhat implied but never actually stated
    - fantasy violence - stuff like "destroy the world" which is so exaggerated that it's clearly not real

This stuff is generally considered suitable to a younger audience than explicit references and realistic violence would be... and none of it would warrant a "T" rating.

As for the death references... death is not a bad thing per se and ghosts / hauntings are not uncommon in fiction, even for little kids (and no one really considers that stuff to be overly disturbing).
    The only part that I can sort of agree with is the dead Marowak because it was clear that Team Rocket killed it and probably tortured it as well. But the again, that just adds to the fact that Team Rocket is a villainous / evil / criminal organization. I think just one detail like that is fine considering it was a minor detail to enhance their character and the game did not revolve around it.

Edit - also, that white hand is nothing more than a joke. The player says he doesn't believe in ghosts so the girl says "then I guess that white hand on your shoulder isn't real". it may be creepy (if you think the hand is even real) but it's not a severed / rotting hand like in the creepypasta and there's nothing all that disturbing about it.

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook
    Visit Cosmic Gerbil's Youtube Channel

Hmm, I can see both sides of the discussion. On one hand, it's not good to wrap kids up in cotton wool and protect them from everything scary/bad. On the other hand, I did think Black & White was pretty dark, much more so than the earlier Pokemon games.

I checked out the games ratings and saw E and E10 but I reckon that is too much of a gap. Here in England (for films) we have U (suitable for everyone) and PG (parental guidance...some scenes may be unsuitable for young children). I reckon there should be something like PG for video games, so that parents would be aware that a PG game could upset sensitive and/or very young kids.
    Copy and paste this into your signature if your village is being destroyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    Hmm, I can see both sides of the discussion. On one hand, it's not good to wrap kids up in cotton wool and protect them from everything scary/bad. On the other hand, I did think Black & White was pretty dark, much more so than the earlier Pokemon games.

I checked out the games ratings and saw E and E10 but I reckon that is too much of a gap. Here in England (for films) we have U (suitable for everyone) and PG (parental guidance...some scenes may be unsuitable for young children). I reckon there should be something like PG for video games, so that parents would be aware that a PG game could upset sensitive and/or very young kids.
    Yeah, I forgot about E10+... that would probably work although I don't think it existed back when Generation I was around. But I didn't really find Black and White to be any "darker" than any of the other games (I've never played Black 2 / White 2 so I don't know about this attempted murder scene that people keep mentioning). What was so dark about it? The fact that Ghetsis duped everyone who was working for him? Or is it the fact that you can draw a connection between that game and real-world animal liberation groups? I'm not even sure that kids are going to make that connection... animal liberation groups aren't all that common and I personally didn't even know about them until college.

Post Thanks / Like

Cyrus doesn't want to destroy the world, he just wants to use this world's energy to create a separate world for Pokemon only. But, even so, you have a point.

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Long reply incoming, so...
    Here goes! *gaaaaaasp*

Quote Originally Posted by Floris View Post
    So, pretty much all of us Europeans have seen the 3+ on the box of a Pokémon game. The Americans have seen the E for Everyone. This means the game is completely child friendly. I don't think so:

In Red/Blue/Yellow, you have Lavender Town, death in town form. In there, people constantly talk about death, haunting ghosts and a Marowak is killed. Is that child friendly? I thought discussion of death was 10+? What about the ghosts, the white hand and the dead Marowak? That's messed up for a child's game!
    Also, the place were you catch Mewtwo is entirely destroyed and everyone in there was brutally murdered(?)
    We also have the Burned Tower in Johto, where three Pokémon were said to have perished (but were revived by Ho-Oh as Raikou, Entei and Suicune), Celestial Tower in Unova, "where Pokémon are laid to rest..." and is full of Litwicks...and there's a lot more context with the people inside there that talk about the spirits and death of either themselves or their Pokémon.
    Where was there a restriction on talking about death, as others have said? Most will skip over the story in a heartbeat anyway (and to be honest, getting to that point in the game by yourself when you're only 3 is a feat in itself).

Also, it may be implied that Mewtwo burst out and massacred everyone there, but that's still a rumour and will remain that way until officially confirmed.

In Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, Cyrus wants to destroy the universe, and 7 billion people with it. Are you kidding me? 7 billion people!
    It was 6 billion at the time of Diamond and Pearl, first of all...
    Second, where is it implied that these 7 billion actually exist in the Pokémon World? It could very much be less than that...though you are right on the story element that he's trying to do in some way, that's not entirely correct.
    What his intentions were: Creating a world without spirit that he could rule as their god. Redoing the universe is far scarier than simply destroying it.

Black/White cover Animal abuse, liberation, manipulation and child abuse. I don't think those are child subjects...
    Again, they're skipping over the details and most wouldn't notice unless you grew up with Pokémon and were old enough to understand the subject at hand.
    Of course, the one detail that didn't go unnoticed was, of all things, highlighted by PETA.
    Are there even enough details to make it worth discussing? That's what I want to ask.

And to top it off, in B2/W2, Ghetsis attempts to MURDER you by impaling you with giant ice spears. How does this even pass as E?
    Ok, guys, let me set this straight for all of you (seeming as nobody took the time to actually point out the error itself):
    Ghetsis does not try to impale the player with Glaciate. His dialogue clearly states his intent to freeze the player in place with it and "watch his glorious ascent", even in the Japanese version. Ghetsis trying to impale the player was a rumour sparked by the animation, and nobody understood it until they were corrected upon the official release of the game in English, where someone actually took the time to translate the original dialogue and correct everybody on the rumours. Still, being frozen isn't particularly nice due to frostbite.

Kids are able to handle this stuff quite well...it shows you how mature we are to certain subjects these days compared to the old.
    'Course, you can't break the news too early or you'll scar them for life. Hit them too late and the depression that happens around adolescence will hit them much harder.
    Thus, it's best if you talk about it to them when they actually have the brain to understand what's going on without being too fussed about it.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    There is. The video game ratings are 3, 7, 12, 15, and 18. Due to EU regulation, Game Corner's slots would've resulted in an automatic 18. 7 is what you're looking for.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gah, kids are too coddled these days. Death is a part of life, murder and abuse are cold hard facts of the world. The earlier you learn, the better. In a fun video game, adding in these lessons and facts gets them ready for when the talks actually come.

We treat them like they're fragile. Kids are cruel, I know that personally. They need no coddling.

Post Thanks / Like

I think pokemon is also partially too complicated for kids of only 3+ to play it x_x I mean my sister tried it when she was 7, and she had no idea what she was doing and eventually she got all frustrated, i know the 3+ thing is for violence etc, but any kid that can read English properly could get pretty disturbed by certain things like the OP mentioned :/ I found Lavender Town pretty disturbing when i played Red and Blue when i was little : o This is just my opinion though :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i suppose i slightly agree about there being Some mature topics in pokemon games but it's still very much a kids game
    i recall when i was 9 and played pokemon yellow..my first pokemon game...the town with the pokemon graves made me a little sad because at the time i thought all pokemon were immortal for some reason..but i went around talking to the people near by and they had the proper things to say about the subject to people as young as children. it's best children know death exists, it's not like pokemon is very graphic about death, and as a child myself i reacted fine to it, it didn't bother me that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I'll go into tangents here, read if you want to:

Children are a lot more complex than people give them credit for, really, and while it is true that media designated to kids these days seems to be very scared of bringing more adult themes into play, kids actually like seeing those, they like being treated seriously.

Think of your own childhood(assuming you were a child at that point, but even if you weren't, I'm sure you can relate), movies that were around at that time, like, Lion King for instance, it had its darker moments, with Mufasa's death and the like, Finding Nemo's beggining, with Marlin's wife and most children being eaten, Quasimodo's mother getting killed, Bambi's mother being shot, I find that you don't really see those anymore, which is unfortunate, because we, as kids, got that, we could understand it and draw our own conclusions, learn about more mature topics, and relate to them.

And that is precisely what I like about Pokémon, it does not get ''too far'', but at the same time, it respects its target audience, Black and White are a prime example of that, they went into a more morally-grey area by showing the animal abuse of Pokémon, and actually making us think, re-evaluate what we think, and I can actually see that, children or not, that is relatable, it's greatness, we need more of that in other franchises, which is why an E-rating is perfect, if we raise it, we'll be excluding children from learning about those topics, which are absolutely necessary for them growing up, and making them think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

I don't think it'd hurt any kids, but then again I'm also the kind of person who shows kindergarteners South Park.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Registered User Oddium Wanderus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the more "adult" themes would be overlooked by young children, so it hardly matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast