Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I fully agree, Pokémon shouldn't be E with this in it!

4 8.33%
  • I slightly agree, it may contain these mature things, but it's still a child's game.

19 39.58%
  • I disagree, these things don't matter, Pokémon is child friendly!

23 47.92%
  • No opinion

2 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

Exclamation Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

So, pretty much all of us Europeans have seen the 3+ on the box of a Pokémon game. The Americans have seen the E for Everyone. This means the game is completely child friendly. I don't think so:

In Red/Blue/Yellow, you have Lavender Town, death in town form. In there, people constantly talk about death, haunting ghosts and a Marowak is killed. Is that child friendly? I thought discussion of death was 10+? What about the ghosts, the white hand and the dead Marowak? That's messed up for a child's game!
    Also, the place were you catch Mewtwo is entirely destroyed and everyone in there was brutally murdered(?)

In Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, Cyrus wants to destroy the universe, and 7 billion people with it. Are you kidding me? 7 billion people!

Black/White cover Animal abuse, liberation, manipulation and child abuse. I don't think those are child subjects...

And to top it off, in B2/W2, Ghetsis attempts to MURDER you by impaling you with giant ice spears. How does this even pass as E?

Please vote in the poll above if you agree or not.
    My YouTube Vids (Pokémon White 2, Randomized Emerald and soon Platinum)

-Why don't use Pokémon who you like instead of powerful ones? You'll have fun in every battle and winning gives more satisfaction!

Default Re: Pokemon? 3 years and older? Right...

You might be right, but you're also overreacting on certain points.

Children are smarter than you think, and can actually handle a variety of adult subjects if contextualized properly.

On a note of personal belief, I don't think you should shy away from broaching the subject of death with children. Are we just going to pretend it doesn't exist?

But then again, you might be right with the ghetsis murder attempt thing...
    theRagingEwok, Owain and Combusken like this.

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

You could make anything rated E back in the 90's.

Blog Entries

Well, why don't we take a look at the general definition for an E rating from the ESRB website:

Content is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.
    I'd say an E rating is pretty accurate. It sounds like you weren't aware of what exactly the criteria is for an E rating.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Well, why don't we take a look at the general definition for an E rating from the ESRB website:

Content is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.
    I'd say an E rating is pretty accurate. It sounds like you weren't aware of what exactly the criteria is for an E rating.
    Umm.. Mild Violence? Ghetsis attempts to murder you...

Also, the ghost things are often overlooked. Lots of children can be quite scared of that stuff (personal experience).

Another thing: A lot of Pokédex entries mainly focus on the creepy, sad, scary, violent and deadly aspects of the Pokémon, even I get creeped out by them!
    My YouTube Vids (Pokémon White 2, Randomized Emerald and soon Platinum)

-Why don't use Pokémon who you like instead of powerful ones? You'll have fun in every battle and winning gives more satisfaction!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Floris View Post
    Umm.. Mild Violence? Ghetsis attempts to murder you...
    Key word: attempts. So he has Kyurem point a bunch of icicles at the player character. Did anything actually happen? No, because N swoops in just in time to save the day.

Also, the ghost things are often overlooked. Lots of children can be quite scared of that stuff (personal experience).

Another thing: A lot of Pokédex entries mainly focus on the creepy, sad, scary, violent and deadly aspects of the Pokémon, even I get creeped out by them!
    Yes, they are creepy. So what would your solution be? To pull the wool over every child's eyes and just act like there is no violence or death ever? The reason themes like death or violence are included in many video games is to raise awareness and to educate kids, so that they can learn to not fear these things.
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

I'll always remember you~
    Blog Entries

I think an E rating is pretty accurate for Pokemon.
    You have to keep in mind that very few young kids actually pay attention to the storyline that much. Most that I know of skip over all the words and instead just try to make their Pokemon strong, and they don't care what they're battling.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I think the ratings are fine the way they are. Older fans of Pokemon just tend to exaggerate the "darker" aspects of the series, for whatever reason.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

In Red/Blue/Yellow, you have Lavender Town, death in town form. In there, people constantly talk about death, haunting ghosts and a Marowak is killed. Is that child friendly? I thought discussion of death was 10+?
    I wasn't aware there was an age restriction as to when you're allowed to bring up the subject of death. Most Disney films tend to have at least one character die, and yet they pride themselves on providing family-friendly entertainment.

Soul of the Trees Forest Spirit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Forest Spirit on Google+

@Floris; Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 Ratings:

Everyone

E - Comic Mischief / Mild Cartoon Violence

This, by the way, is FROM THE BOX

I believe that you are picking the VERY SMALL SCENES relating to death, ghosts and murder from the ENTIRE GAMES! By your logic, no children should be alowed to listen to scary stories, everyone under the age of ten should have to leave the room during any slightly violent tv shows are on. Every show, even charlie brown and spongebob should be banned or have a notice to parents that no children under the age of ten should watch it.

Does this seem okay? What you seem to be forgetting is that IT'S A CARTOON! It makes for a good storyline, it is enjoyable for most everyone who plays the games, and this is my final suggestion for you:

If you have a problem with the ratings of the games, why don't you just stop buying the games? Nobody else seems to have a problem with the ratings.
    coolcatkim22 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

The ratings are just fine as they are. And honestly, what kid doesn't button-mash their way through the story? I don't think kids sit there and read all of the text, which is 90% of all of your examples.
    Shadows likes this.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Based on the criteria you set out, almost no games would qualify for an E rating.

I mean, "attempted murder"? What exactly do you think Bowser is trying to do to Mario with all those spikes, flamethrowers, enormous bullets and bottomless pits?

Maybe I just grew up on a very classical macabre fairy-tales, but this is okay with me and if I had children, I wouldn´t think otherwise.
    (Remember brothers Grimm´s stories, with characters getting murdered, tortured and scared and it all in a fairy tale :D)

I think that children are not so stupid not to know it is only "story" and not real and can handle with it. At least I and all my friends could.
    Iteru likes this.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Blog Entries
    Follow MegaCharr On Twitter
    Visit MegaCharr's Youtube Channel

I do kind of agree with you on that one...I think that the rating for Pokemon should be adjusted to E+10(10 years old and up) instead of E(for 7 to 9 year olds) rating because to the amount of violence that in the main Pokemon games even tho because of the battle system in the main series video games there, isn't that much of it but I do agree...

and for 3 to 5 year olds rating,you mean the Rated EC(early childhood)...Well,I have seen some 3 to 5 year olds get into Pokemon like me(I got started when I was 5 year's old) but I didnt start playing the Pokemon games untill I was 9

hi

So basically, you want to wrap children up in bubble wrap and lock them up in a foam room.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast